• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Month in My Magazine Collection, or "How I Got Most of the Warren Mags in a Month"
2 2

370 posts in this topic

I think you will find some of the other Warren's with different widths. Pretty sure some Eerie issues (#7 for example) are wider than some of the other issues, not a lot, but a little bit wider.

Most of the time it depended on the printer, and Warren didn't use the same printer all the time. That's why some issues are more scarce than others, or slightly different in size.

It was nothing planned, it was either the printer couldn't get to it, or prices changed.

Both of these were scanned with the same scanner, but look how close to the edge the #7 is.

e.jpg

j.jpg

Edited by Makmorn

On 1/31/2023 at 3:13 PM, Makmorn said:

Most of the time it depended on the printer, and Warren didn't use the same printer all the time. That's why some issues are more scarce than others, or slightly different in size.

It was nothing planned, it was either the printer couldn't get to it, or prices changed.

I guess I can accept lax standards as the explanation, given the time at which these books were printed.  It's just odd that After Hours #4 got left "out" as the lone skinny issue of that title.

As far as the EERIEs go, #2-4 all appear to be a little narrower than #5-10 on my own personal scans, so that speaks to a printer change between issues 4 and 5--but my #7 appears to be the same width as the other issues in that 6-issue run (#11 seemed to be a little narrower again).

Thanks for all the information and insight though; I do appreciate it.

I can't even get excited...

image.thumb.png.5246b38b5b32069ed1817044eb1f72da.png

This is the same place that recently sold a Harris Vampi #1 for $810, so I don't even know what they're trying to sell here.

image.thumb.png.d59bd8c5fd655fad842337a62c067c91.png

Funny that the EERIE #1 auction closes on February 5, though; exactly one year after I placed my first Warren order...

On 2/1/2023 at 6:13 PM, Axe Elf said:

I can't even get excited...

image.thumb.png.5246b38b5b32069ed1817044eb1f72da.png

This is the same place that recently sold a Harris Vampi #1 for $810, so I don't even know what they're trying to sell here.

image.thumb.png.d59bd8c5fd655fad842337a62c067c91.png

Funny that the EERIE #1 auction closes on February 5, though; exactly one year after I placed my first Warren order...

I’m almost willing to bet that not only you don’t even know, THEY don’t even know.

On 2/2/2023 at 7:46 AM, ArkhamCastle said:

Guys does this Eerie # 1 look legitimate to you?

Caveat Emptor.  As I've posted before, I would be wary of purchasing any copy of that magazine without very strong provenance.  There are so many versions of that book from photocopies to copies printed at Warren to counterfeits that, without lots of experience with all versions in person, I won't pay for a copy.  Some of the most experienced dealers, that have been selling books for 40+ years, don't have confidence in identifying which is which. 

Also, I don't consider it a magazine.  2c

On 2/2/2023 at 7:46 AM, ArkhamCastle said:

On 2/2/2023 at 10:36 AM, chevalmeow said:

Definitely not.  There isn't any detailed information provided for such a rare book to be sold at auction.  No size dimensions, no staple type,  no interior photos, etc.  Also incorrectly listed as Golden Age.

On 2/2/2023 at 1:34 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Caveat Emptor.  As I've posted before, I would be wary of purchasing any copy of that magazine without very strong provenance.  There are so many versions of that book from photocopies to copies printed at Warren to counterfeits that, without lots of experience with all versions in person, I won't pay for a copy.  Some of the most experienced dealers, that have been selling books for 40+ years, don't have confidence in identifying which is which. 

Also, I don't consider it a magazine.  2c

I wrote to them a few days ago when I first saw it and asked that since it's hard to authenticate this issue, how had they been able to certify this as a legitimate EERIE #1, but they have not replied, so I'm guessing they're probably not too interested in certifying it; just interested in getting the most money they can from it.

On 2/2/2023 at 3:48 PM, ArkhamCastle said:

Thanks Guys, I was pretty sure by the way it was listed with no real detailed info etc. that it was probably not legit.

I mean, it COULD be legit--but I don't think the seller is interested in verifying/guaranteeing it.

It does say returns are accepted, so I guess if you want to take the gamble you could always buy it and try to authenticate it upon receipt, and if it's bogus, then you should be able to return it as a counterfeit for a refund.

On 2/2/2023 at 1:44 PM, Axe Elf said:

I wrote to them a few days ago when I first saw it and asked that since it's hard to authenticate this issue, how had they been able to certify this as a legitimate EERIE #1, but they have not replied, so I'm guessing they're probably not too interested in certifying it; just interested in getting the most money they can from it.

I did get this reply today, though it seems copied and pasted from a guide somewhere...

"This is a FIRST PRINTING - You can tell by these signs: B & W, 5 1/4" wide x 7 1/4 high. On page 18, panel 5, in the upper-left hand corner, the large rear view of a bald headed man blends into solid black and is unrecognizable."

On 2/2/2023 at 5:46 AM, ArkhamCastle said:

As far as Eerie#1's are concerned consult one of us older veteran Warren guys before you purchase a copy.  There are alot of fakes.

On 2/3/2023 at 5:34 PM, oakman29 said:

As far as Eerie#1's are concerned consult one of us older veteran Warren guys before you purchase a copy.  There are alot of fakes.

At this point I would probably be willing to pay $20-30 for a decent fake, but the only ones I’ve seen aren’t even good fakes.

On 2/3/2023 at 7:42 PM, OtherEric said:

At this point I would probably be willing to pay $20-30 for a decent fake, but the only ones I’ve seen aren’t even good fakes.

What size do you want the paper to be?

On 2/3/2023 at 1:50 PM, Axe Elf said:

I did get this reply today, though it seems copied and pasted from a guide somewhere...

"This is a FIRST PRINTING - You can tell by these signs: B & W, 5 1/4" wide x 7 1/4 high. On page 18, panel 5, in the upper-left hand corner, the large rear view of a bald headed man blends into solid black and is unrecognizable."

It's just so freaking tempting, ending on February 5 and all.

So I ventured back...

"Well yeah, but one would think that the later forgeries looked like first printings too.

Your listing says that you accept returns at your shipping expense.  So if I buy this and have it appraised, you will happily pay for return shipping and provide a full refund if it turns out to be anything other than an authentic first printing of EERIE #1?"

One of my first projects for Year Two (other than keeping my eye out for HELP! #12b and affordable upgrades as they become available) is to give all of the books which came with a viable bag/board in the first place new bags and boards.  Obviously, books which did NOT come with a viable bag/board in the first place were given new bags and boards upon arrival, so I'm not replacing the ones that were new last year--but all the others--and that includes pretty much all of the CREEPY and VAMPIRELLA runs, as they came already packed in individual bags and boards.

The CREEPY run, however, seems to have been largely bagged long ago, and a lot of them are so murky now you couldn't read through two of them together, plus having price/grade/blurb stickers on them from what I would assume is the LCS of the guy whose son inherited them to sell them to me, as the stickers and writing are all fairly consistent--but I want to see the covers, not stickers.  So the upgrade is a visible improvement--and some of these beauties are looking awfully good in their new clothing!

CREEPY #90 is particularly striking in hand--although the scans seem to magnify every little white spot--but believe me, in hand and in its new bag, this is about as glassy of a black obsidian cover as you will ever see.  I tried scanning it in the bag to see if I could capture the shine of it, but I think the bag just added a couple more little white spots for the scanner to expose.  So I think the raw image is a little better than the bagged image, but you'll have to take my word for how gorgeous the newly-bagged book is in hand.

471437110_CREEPY90FInaBag.thumb.jpg.8795b556b33a3b20af63b919be5b39b2.jpg549515190_CREEPY90F.thumb.jpg.88f33dea50ad3eccdec971ef94af5867.jpg