This Month in My Magazine Collection, or "How I Got Most of the Warren Mags in a Month"
2 2

285 posts in this topic

Nice work in such a short time.  I haven't been moving nearly as fast, although I've gotten well over half the Vampi run in roughly the last three months, at least. 

The only full Warren runs I have so far are Help!, The Rook, and The Spirit.  The last two aren't too tricky, but with Help! I'm not sure I've seen anybody else on the forums claim the full run.  Mine is just reading copies, but I've got it, at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2022 at 6:29 PM, OtherEric said:

Nice work in such a short time.  I haven't been moving nearly as fast, although I've gotten well over half the Vampi run in roughly the last three months, at least. 

The only full Warren runs I have so far are Help!, The Rook, and The Spirit.  The last two aren't too tricky, but with Help! I'm not sure I've seen anybody else on the forums claim the full run.  Mine is just reading copies, but I've got it, at least.

Thanks!

Yeah, I've never even heard of Help!  I know of The Spirit, but it's not really on my radar.  If I DO get more, it would probly be starting the Vampirellas, but I wouldn't rule out 1984/1994 at some point either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2022 at 4:33 PM, Axe Elf said:

Thanks!

Yeah, I've never even heard of Help!  I know of The Spirit, but it's not really on my radar.  If I DO get more, it would probly be starting the Vampirellas, but I wouldn't rule out 1984/1994 at some point either.

Help! is a bit earlier than the main Warren books, and only has a few comic pages in a given issue.  But some fun stuff from Harvey Kurtzman.  Another nice Warren mini-run I'm looking for is Monster World 1-3, which have some of Warren's earliest horror comics (one story per issue).  The #1 is actually Warren's first horror comic story, I believe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2022 at 6:36 PM, OtherEric said:

The #1 is actually Warren's first horror comic story, I believe.

I believe I have heard that as well, now that you mention it.

Is there also a "Goblin" mini-run, like 3 issues or something?  I might be interested in that, if it's something I axually saw, and not just dreamed...

...come to think of it, I think it was mentioned on one of those DVD listings on eBay where you can get full runs in PDF or CBR format or whatever.  They always come up when you search "full run," but that's not exactly what I'm looking for.  lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2022 at 4:40 PM, Axe Elf said:

I believe I have heard that as well, now that you mention it.

Is there also a "Goblin" mini-run, like 3 issues or something?  I might be interested in that, if it's something I axually saw, and not just dreamed...

...come to think of it, I think it was mentioned on one of those DVD listings on eBay where you can get full runs in PDF or CBR format or whatever.  They always come up when you search "full run," but that's not exactly what I'm looking for.  lol

Goblin is 3 issues, more or less replaced Rook on the schedule, #4 was advertised but never released, I believe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2022 at 6:52 PM, OtherEric said:

Goblin is 3 issues, more or less replaced Rook on the schedule, #4 was advertised but never released, I believe.

Sounds like a legit target then.

OH!  And I'd probly get the 4 Blazing Combats if I ever get the chance, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2022 at 11:45 PM, wpbooks01 said:

Various One-Shots

Can you call a one-shot a "full run"?

;)

I din't know Comix International was a Warren thing; just another title I'd seen advertised on DVD in PDF/CBR format.  Are there only 2 in that "full run" or does your (2) mean you have 2 full runs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 6:12 AM, wpbooks01 said:

Can you call The Creeps, Warren?

Touche'!

Heh.

Well, they almost did...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 10:13 AM, Pancakes! said:

One of my favorites, collects all the Neal Adams stories.

EerieMagazine-125.jpg

It's missing "Rock God" from Creepy #32 and "The Sweet, Soft Lips of Hell" from Vampirella #10, I believe.  Would still be a nice issue to have, even if I've got all the originals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 12:13 PM, Pancakes! said:

One of my favorites, collects all the Neal Adams stories.

EerieMagazine-125.jpg

I just got here myself a couple of weeks ago, and like you, it was an EERIE-related post that made me sign up (the "EERIE #23 Club" thread)!

Welcome to the Warren tribe...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats on your quest for Warren Horror. I myself have been collecting full runs of Warren mags. Just a great group of runs.

I'm very happy you found my "Hardest Creepy thread" informative .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 2:54 PM, oakman29 said:

Congrats on your quest for Warren Horror. I myself have been collecting full runs of Warren mags. Just a great group of runs.

I'm very happy you found my "Hardest Creepy thread" informative .

Yeah, you directed me to your journals upon my arrival.  You really have the better-looking collection(s), putting together your puzzles slowly and deliberately with individual, high-grade copies, whereas I was just looking to get acceptable/readable copies and buying most of them in lots.  I guess it wouldn't be outside the scope of my own thread to list the distribution of grades I have assigned to the 140 unique EERIEs in my collection--but I'm guessing you don't really have any that would grade out less than 8.0, if that low.

9.0 - 1

8.5 - 6

8.0 - 10

7.5 - 12

7.0 - 12

6.5 - 20

6.0 - 19

5.5 - 16

5.0 - 9

4.5 - 6

4.0 - 5

3.5 - 8

3.0 - 9

2.5 - 2

2.0 - 3

1.8 - 1

1.5 - 1

I do have replacements/upgrades on the way for the 1.5, a 2.0, a 2.5, and a 3.0 (I'd like to eventually get them all at least 4.0 and up)--but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade they will be because I haven't seen them yet.  The guy from whom I bought the CREEPY collection is throwing me four bonus EERIEs from my want list--but they were delayed; they were scheduled to arrive today, but won't arrive until tomorrow now.

The CREEPY collection should be a little higher quality overall, although he had a lot of issues graded as "VF/NM" or "NM" that really don't reach that standard.  One of them even had a big 1 1/2" water stain on the back cover, and listed as "VF/NM"!  But hey, that's why I was able to negotiate the price to some extent, and it's still a pretty nice-looking collection.  Even if they're not Near Mint, they look like they will mostly grade out around 6.0 through 8.5, anyway.  I'll know more after they arrive tomorrow.

The ROOK collection I bought also appears to be largely Fine and up, though nothing in the Near Mint range.  Hopefully the CREEPS run directly from the factory will all be worthy of at least 9.0s upon arrival--but then, you know, I'm going to read them.  :)

Overall, I bought 363 issues at an average cost of $14.30 per issue, landed (including shipping and tax).  Without shipping and tax, they were $12.33 per issue (although in both cases, the $400 value of the slabbed CGC 9.0 CREEPY #1 drags the cost of every other issue up about a dollar, so really, the other 362 issues were $13.24 each, landed, or $11.26 per issue not counting shipping and tax--but that was still $1.26 per issue more than my original goal of $10 per issue--even after using eBay's "Best Offer" feature to negotiate a total of $817.15 off the listed prices--or an average of $2.25 per issue).

All in a month's work...

Edited by Axe Elf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 7:41 PM, This is Who We Are said:

Nice grab with that set of Creepy's.  There were a few copies in that collection I was very curious about-grade-wise.  Please consider putting up some of the nicer copies...or heck, post them all :)

I wrote the above response while you were posting, which touches on that grading issue.  He was selling his dad's collection, and he said he took a lot of the grades from the bags that his dad had bought the books in way back when--so I'm guessing that a lot of them were graded using much more lenient pre-2000 standards.

I scrutinized the first 11 issues that he had listed as "VF/NM" or higher, and other than the one with the big waterstain, of course, they were mostly grading out in the 7.0-8.0 range; a couple of them might go a little higher; hard to tell from just a front and back cover.  Anyway, it's a nice-looking collection, but I don't think it's the kind of pristine set that @oakman29 and others have assembled.

I will probly do some PGM posts of a few of them just to see what everyone else thinks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2