• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

spot the difference

21 posts in this topic

Well, if it's any help here, I can almost read the CGC logo in the top right hand corner of the label for the CC scan, while I probably need a pair of sunglasses toget past that glare on the CGC logo in the CL scan.  :devil:

I struggle with accurate scans/photos constantly when listing on eBay. You scan or take a photo and you get the blue perfect then the green is off. 

Or you get all colors and brightness correct then the next comic/card/toy is slightly off.

Who has the 100% solution and I'll look into buying that setup this week. Thing is I need a setup where I'm not tweaking each picture/scan.

Google Pixel is working on an issue where people of color are now able to get better or more accurate photos of themselves. Why has this technology not been around for 20 years?

On 3/11/2022 at 8:02 AM, buttock said:

Selling million dollar comics with 2 cent photos.

Yes, but isn't it better to have scans or photos that reflect the real colors on the covers of the book when you get it, as opposed to ones where the colors are embellished or so bright that they appear to have been placed on top of a light table to take the scan and you end up with a book that pales in comparison to what you thought when you open up your parcel in the mail?  hm  (shrug)

On 3/11/2022 at 7:44 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, but isn't it better to have scans or photos that reflect the real colors on the covers of the book when you get it, as opposed to ones where the colors are embellished or so bright that they appear to have been placed on top of a light table to take the scan and you end up with a book that pales in comparison to what you thought when you open up your parcel in the mail?  hm  (shrug)

yep! Been saying this all along and they are all guilty of it. Opening a parcel is disappointing once you see how dark and dull it is compared to being under the radiation lamp of HA ,CC and CL

I always go after bright cover colors, and this thread reminds me that I've been burned by overbright scans of *yellow* covers (think Superman #6, Superman #9, Startling #53...) more than any other color. To be fair to CC/CL (I know, I know), I wonder if that color might actually be harder than average for scanners to convey accurately, particularly on a slabbed book.

On 3/12/2022 at 1:27 AM, Point Five said:

I always go after bright cover colors, and this thread reminds me that I've been burned by overbright scans of *yellow* covers (think Superman #6, Superman #9, Startling #53...) more than any other color. To be fair to CC/CL (I know, I know), I wonder if that color might actually be harder than average for scanners to convey accurately, particularly on a slabbed book.

For years MCS were the opposite of this. I remember all their scans were dulled down, and when you got the book it was a very pleasant surprise colour wise. Doesn't seem to happen nowadays...I guess they made enough to buy a decent scanner. :insane: 

On 3/12/2022 at 1:01 AM, Courageous Cat said:

yep! Been saying this all along and they are all guilty of it. Opening a parcel is disappointing once you see how dark and dull it is compared to being under the radiation lamp of HA ,CC and CL

My point of this thread.

In hand if the book actually looked like the CC scan then would be interested. In hand if it looks like the CL scan, not really.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 3/11/2022 at 5:44 PM, lou_fine said:

I assume you're alluding to heritage.  The last few books I've received from them have been at worst as good in hand as in the scan and in most cases notably better.  Have you won anything from them recently?  You seem to have strong opinions, I would hope you have experience to back those up.  

Clink routinely has darker scans, but they're consistently darker so you can calibrate your expectations.  

CC has crooked and warped photos that look like they were taken in an unlit closet.