• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping kits are backordered. I need advice.

21 posts in this topic

Shipping kits included with membership are back ordered. I want to purchase elsewhere, all supplies needed to send comics to CGC for grading. Can anyone recommend somewhere else to purchase and what to purchase? 

Welcome to the boards....

Shipping kits are unnecessary and border on silly.  What do shipping kits include? Sturdy cardboard box, bubble wrap. you can purchase those things at an office supply store (say Office Depot) a moving store (say U-Haul) or even at Walmart and Home Depot/Lowes.   If you have a recycling center in your town, you can probably get sturdy cardboard boxes and newspaper (crushed up a fine substitute for bubble wrap) for free. 

The principles are simple. Wrap your books up like say a Christmas or Birthday present. A nice sturdy rectangular stack. Use a sturdy box that is larger by at least two inches all around and stuff cushioning material all around your stack of books. The point is for the books not to be able to shift around and not be able to come in contact with the sides of the box. That way if the box does get impacted on the sides or corners the books still are undamaged. 

Bubble wrap can make it easy because you can wrap the books so that you have that couple of inches all around the books in bubble wrap. But as I said, newsprint can be crumpled. 

If really insecure this first time take it to a pack & ship place and watch them package it up. 

I bought two when they first came out, as I wanted to see what they included and they were on sale.

I forget what they cost, but I was  happy with them.  If you were to buy the individual parts, it would cost more.  

Watch a few youtube videos to see what they included and go get your own. 

On 3/13/2022 at 4:04 PM, wombat said:

Or just save every box and packing materials you have ever received buying books to the point your packing supplies you have no intention of ever using take up more space than your collection. I heard some people do this. 

I do this too, but you can easily go to recycling center or grocery stores late at night when they are restocking. I have done both
over the years and get enough to last me 3 or 4 months then I repeat. All free.

On 3/13/2022 at 1:49 PM, adampasz said:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=packing+comics+for+cgc

tldr:

• small-bubble wrap
  • corrugated cardboard
  • make sure comics are not loose/can't slide around
  • small box inside larger box
  • insure your shipment, and take photos
  • don't do media mail

There is nothing wrong with double boxing for sure. For shipping 2-3 slabs  I have often used the 1092 inside a 1095 double box method.

But I would point out the return shipments from CGC/CBCS are not double boxed. Nor are shipments from ComicLink.   A sturdy box is at least as good as a double box.  A sturdy box that is substantially larger than the comics inside arguably better. It's really all about having extra space between the books and filling that extra space in the box with cushioning material. Along with the books not being able to move around inside the shipping box. So they are not never close to the sides of the shipping box. 

I would also mention that bubble wrap is far too often portrayed as the best thing possible. When in fact you can package just as securely with crumpled up newsprint. Newsprint being far more environmentally friendly - and  newsprint often can be sourced at no cost. Not only is newsprint far easier to recycle - but even if you don't recycle it decomposes far more quickly than plastic.  

Not criticizing, just refining. Your advice is great <3 If the OP follows your advice books will get there safely 99.99% of the time.  The 0.10% of the time is "why" of the insurance you recommend. 

Edited by Tony S

On 3/14/2022 at 12:05 AM, Tony S said:

There is nothing wrong with double boxing for sure. For shipping 2-3 slabs  I have often used the 1092 inside a 1095 double box method.

But I would point out the return shipments from CGC/CBCS are not double boxed. Nor are shipments from ComicLink.   A sturdy box is at least as good as a double box.  A sturdy box that is substantially larger than the comics inside arguably better. It's really all about having extra space between the books and filling that extra space in the box with cushioning material. Along with the books not being able to move around inside the shipping box. So they are not never close to the sides of the shipping box. 

I would also mention that bubble wrap is far too often portrayed as the best thing possible. When in fact you can package just as securely with crumpled up newsprint. Newsprint being far more environmentally friendly - and  newsprint often can be sourced at no cost. Not only is newsprint far easier to recycle - but even if you don't recycle it decomposes far more quickly than plastic.  

Not criticizing, just refining. Your advice is great <3 If the OP follows your advice books will get there safely 99.99% of the time.  The 0.10% of the time is "why" of the insurance you recommend. 

Agree with all this.  Amazon boxes are too weak.  USPS are barely strong enough.  A good solid box is worth its weight in gold.  

I hate getting all the bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts, but unfortunately these are the standard.  I try to reuse all my non-recyclable packaging, but I don't ship often enough so I have an abundance of bubble wrap.  At some point you have to move it out in other ways, and that usually means the trash. I think newsprint gives just a little extra wiggle room for hard impacts that might otherwise cause SCS or other damage, so I kind of prefer it.  

Just pretend you are mailing something very valuable and somewhat fragile to someone.  Get whatever products you need for whatever cost you're comfortable with, and pack them carefully, making sure they don't move around much and have enough padding to withstand most traumas that may occur in transit.  You don't need CGC products

On 3/13/2022 at 12:16 PM, mysterymachine said:

Luckily my wife buys things every week from Amazon. Anytime we get a good size comic box I save them. 

Amazon boxes are made incredibly cheap and seem to be designed for single use.  I rarely find a box of theirs that is worth re-using.  They almost all go in the recycling. 

MCS has the perfect boxes to ship books and I'm lucky enough to get a box a week, on average.  I have a contractors waste bag pretty full of popcorn thingies and another of rolled up paper that people use to ship. I also get a weekly delivery from Wild Fork Foods and their insulated cooler boxes are perfect for shipping bulk slabs. 

Edited by shadroch

On 3/14/2022 at 7:51 AM, buttock said:

Agree with all this.  Amazon boxes are too weak.  USPS are barely strong enough.  A good solid box is worth its weight in gold.  

I hate getting all the bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts, but unfortunately these are the standard.  I try to reuse all my non-recyclable packaging, but I don't ship often enough so I have an abundance of bubble wrap.  At some point you have to move it out in other ways, and that usually means the trash. I think newsprint gives just a little extra wiggle room for hard impacts that might otherwise cause SCS or other damage, so I kind of prefer it.  

When I lived in Vegas, I'd put ads on craigs list and the local community boards for bubble wrap and boxes.  These days I don't need extra but when I get too much I'll advertise on facebook.  I've yet to have to throw any away, someone is always moving or packing something.

On 3/13/2022 at 5:04 PM, wombat said:

Or just save every box and packing materials you have ever received buying books to the point your packing supplies you have no intention of ever using take up more space than your collection. I heard some people do this. 

I do this and, in fact, some of the supplies have spread to the house I was raised in in NJ. However, the folks that currently own the house are unaware of this. :wink:

On 3/14/2022 at 9:16 AM, shadroch said:

Amazon boxes are made incredibly cheap and seem to be designed for single use.  I rarely find a box of theirs that is worth re-using.  They almost all go in the recycling. 

MCS has the perfect boxes to ship books and I'm lucky enough to get a box a week, on average.  I have a contractors waste bag pretty full of popcorn thingies and another of rolled up paper that people use to ship. I also get a weekly delivery from Wild Fork Foods and their insulated cooler boxes are perfect for shipping bulk slabs. 

They are ok to use for a small amount of books. I wouldn't use them to send 25 books in them. They are good for 5 books or less. Everyone should look at the box they have and use their own judgement.

On 3/14/2022 at 10:29 AM, mysterymachine said:

They are ok to use for a small amount of books. I wouldn't use them to send 25 books in them. They are good for 5 books or less. Everyone should look at the box they have and use their own judgement.

I don't know which boxes you are referring to. I get a box from MCS that will often have well more than five books,, or even 25 books in it. 

Are you talking about the white boxes they send slabbed books in? I would not ship those on their own. I use them within a box, but not to ship solo.

On 3/14/2022 at 10:50 AM, shadroch said:

I don't know which boxes you are referring to. I get a box from MCS that will often have well more than five books,, or even 25 books in it. 

Are you talking about the white boxes they send slabbed books in? I would not ship those on their own. I use them within a box, but not to ship solo.

No, Amazon ships all sizes of boxes so I understand why some people may not like my suggestion.. The Box I use from Amazon is 18"x13"x4". They are not the strongest box, but using strong tape will hold the box together, provided you don't ship heavy items in them. I usually don't send large amounts to CGC. So it suits my purpose.

IMG_0376.jpg

Edited by mysterymachine