• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman or Mark Jewelers which is more rare
4 4

48 posts in this topic

Is there any information on distribution numbers for which of these variants are more rare?

I understand Mark Jewelers were only sold by military bases, though I am unsure of the years that this was happening. 

Many thanks to all the experts with the info. 

Mark Jewelers inserts were included in Marvel, DC, and Gold Key books from 1969 to roughly 1991. It is my understanding that Whitman multipacks are common for Gold Key books, semi common for Marvel books, and rarer for DC books. All in all Mark Jewelers inserts are probably more plentiful as they were produced longer, but I find Mark Jewelers books to be more collectable.

On 3/13/2022 at 12:09 PM, fastballspecial said:

Yes I agree very hard to find, but only a few are wanted.

I don't get that.   I think the SMFC books will eventually be recognized as being truly rare variants.  Until then, I buy them when they are priced right..

On 3/13/2022 at 6:45 PM, shadroch said:

I've never come acxross one of these.  I actually thought they were distributed in one gift set until fairly recently.

This is the third one I have seen. The first two I was unable to get, but at least I got this one. 

On 3/13/2022 at 9:18 PM, dzbad said:

That is pretty cool.  I love seeing this stuff maintained in its original packaging.

I thought the same thing and quickly added it to my collection.  Only problem is there are so many odd size/shape packages that it has become a challenge storing them all properly.  :roflmao:

I would say it’s hard to compare generic rarity on these books (I.e. Mark Jewellers vs. DC Whitmans), because there’s too much variation. It would be more productive to ask “Which is rarer, a Dazzler 10 Mark Jeweller variant, or a Batman 308 Whitman variant?”

On 3/14/2022 at 6:08 AM, Brock said:

I would say it’s hard to compare generic rarity on these books (I.e. Mark Jewellers vs. DC Whitmans), because there’s too much variation. It would be more productive to ask “Which is rarer, a Dazzler 10 Mark Jeweller variant, or a Batman 308 Whitman variant?”

I agree, the question is fairly broad to the point where any given answer means nothing (or everything). 

Are we talking about total #'s of MJ comics ever printed vs total #'s of Whitmans ever printed?  So if I sample 1M comics ever printed, am I more likely to find a MJ or a Whitman?

Or is the rarest MJ rarer than the rarest Whitman?

Or is the average MJ rarer as a percentage of total print run of that issue rarer than the Whitmans as a percentage of total print runs for that issue?

Or for issues that have Whitman and MJ are there more total whitmans or total MJ's?

Or for issues that have Whitman and MJ are there more AVERAGE whitmans or MJ's per issue?

Or a million other variations of the question of "rarity" or comparative rarity.

Essentially you're asking if blue is better than green but not giving any criteria.

(although actually, green is better than blue).