• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

After 25 Years of Collecting, I’m down to just 30 Comics from over 4,000
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Thanks guys! 

I’m trying to remember any regrets I’ve had over the years. Only ones I can remember I sold that I now will never see again are Tec 38 and MF 73. Those burn. 

Also had a chance to buy Cap 1 - 15 years ago for 10K. Didn’t do it, giant mistake. 

On 3/13/2022 at 6:30 PM, Bat-Man said:

Hello fellow boardies, 

I have not posted in a long time and wanted to share this. 

After 25 years of collecting. 

A lot of changes occurred over this last year, including a move for when I finally decided to sell off the majority of my comic collection. I sold over 4,000 comics, majority of which were collected from the 90’s-10’s new off the rack, and 80’s back issues. Hundreds of which were golden age and silver age mostly raw. I sold most in a bulk sale to one long standing collector/dealer who made the process very easy for me and it worked out for both of us well. 

Anyway, I kept the favs/best, from over the years and all I have is roughly 30 left including some raw not pictured. I’ve realized that I will most likely never part with my Pre Robin run and my AF15 filler, that due to price increases, has become my permanent copy. And my sole Action comic, #7!

Has anyone else gone through a downshift in size from your collection over the years / decades?

Pictured is the final entirety of my CGC books.

663FA97A-8749-4BBB-AA29-66A5E168154D.jpeg

06F4B544-588C-4FF5-8370-E20D412715FC.jpeg

Now that's what I'm talking about Bat-Man!. And you could move a few of those Timelys and later post robin Detectives and get back that 38. But for Gods sake not the Action 7. Beautiful run 

On 3/14/2022 at 12:47 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

You may want to check out this thread. It evolved into a lot of discussion debating the merits of downsizing. 

im with you on less is more

On 3/13/2022 at 6:30 PM, Bat-Man said:

Hello fellow boardies, 

I have not posted in a long time and wanted to share this. 

After 25 years of collecting. 

A lot of changes occurred over this last year, including a move for when I finally decided to sell off the majority of my comic collection. I sold over 4,000 comics, majority of which were collected from the 90’s-10’s new off the rack, and 80’s back issues. Hundreds of which were golden age and silver age mostly raw. I sold most in a bulk sale to one long standing collector/dealer who made the process very easy for me and it worked out for both of us well. 

Anyway, I kept the favs/best, from over the years and all I have is roughly 30 left including some raw not pictured. I’ve realized that I will most likely never part with my Pre Robin run and my AF15 filler, that due to price increases, has become my permanent copy. And my sole Action comic, #7!

Has anyone else gone through a downshift in size from your collection over the years / decades?

Pictured is the final entirety of my CGC books.

663FA97A-8749-4BBB-AA29-66A5E168154D.jpeg

06F4B544-588C-4FF5-8370-E20D412715FC.jpeg

Great stuff to keep!

Towards the end of my collecting days (late 80's early 90's) I was down to about 50 comics total (mainly keys and Centaurs).

That was the way it was until I started checking out Ebay and various places around 2010.

I had a feeling certain golden age rarities were going way too cheap, so I started picking up stuff that seemed to be falling through the cracks.

I didn't start collecting again, but I was fortunate enough to pick up about a hundred Nedors, Harveys, Qualities, Holyokes, etc. etc. (mostly WWII covers) from 1938ish to 1943ish (great stuff, but stuff I never actively collected), over the last dozen years, before the recent explosion.

So now I have my 50 (give or take) comic personal collection, and a hundred nice wartime GA comics (with the odd DC hero, LB Cole Suspense, Frazetta Famous Funnies-type things I just lucked into).

Edited by circumstances

Wow. Congratulations. 
That is an achievement, to say the least. Parting with a collection, and collecting habits of over 25 years is nothing to under value. 
That would be more difficult than, I think, most people (outside of this community) would understand. 
I went through a much more watered down result to what you experienced. I reentered the hobby after a 15 year hiatus, only to collect for 7 years and then, purge. 

I’m left with about 17 books? I’ll probably increase to about 20-25. Feels amazing. But I had so much junk. 

Edited by D2

On 3/14/2022 at 12:47 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

You may want to check out this thread. It evolved into a lot of discussion debating the merits of downsizing. 

im with you on less is more

Awesome, thanks for the link

I plan to keep my CGC Graded

Batman 1-100 and the rest of my ungraded Batman collection and

Amazing Spider-Man 1-100 and the rest of my ungraded Spider-Man run.

I will buy upgrades as funds are available.

I have been collecting since 1964. Sunday I will start posting books for sale on eBay