• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Some Advice - EBay Auction I Won Is Looking Like A Scam
4 4

40 posts in this topic

I recently won an auction that I now suspect my be a scam in the works.  The book that I won says it was shipping from Toronto, Ontario (I am just outside of the city) but now that there is a tracking number listed, it is saying that the book is being sent from China.  I have contacted the seller to ask what is going on and why the discrepancy but it doesn't look like they are going to reply.  The alarm bells are ringing and this smells fishy.

Anyone have any advice?  What are the best step I can take to protect myself now the the wheels are in motion in order to get my money back?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

On 3/14/2022 at 7:51 PM, Bird said:

cancel the transaction anywhere and everywhere you can

get on the phone if need be with the payment processing people and stop payment immediately

get off the cgc boards and on the phone with a real person

I just got off the Phone with Ebay and the transaction has been put on hold so nothing officially charged yet.  They said they have messaged the seller about this issue and it they don't respond by Thursday, the transaction will be shut down completely. 

I spoke to to my Credit Card company as well and they confirmed that things are on hold and it hasn't been charged.

Side note: The seller is auctioning off the same book again (different CGC certification number) in a new auction.

On 3/14/2022 at 8:23 PM, LudaToke said:

Side note: The seller is auctioning off the same book again (different CGC certification number) in a new auction.

it couldn't hurt to report this to ebay as well and save someone else the hassle you are experiencing

glad your money is safe, hope you get the comic!

On 3/14/2022 at 8:26 PM, Bird said:

it couldn't hurt to report this to ebay as well and save someone else the hassle you are experiencing

glad your money is safe, hope you get the comic!

The comic in questions was a Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8.  The seller is auctioning off another Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8 with a different cert number and pictures.

What are the chances that someone in China has 2 of these books and is now auctioning them off?  I feel like it is slim to none.

On 3/14/2022 at 8:37 PM, LudaToke said:

The seller is dougto-17

Alarm bells are ringing for me immediately:

1.  Broken English in the description

2.  One spot in his description says that he ships from Canada

3.  Another spot in the description says that he ships from the USA

4.  Big $ book and 0 feedback.

Edited by pemart1966

On 3/14/2022 at 8:41 PM, pemart1966 said:

Alarm bells are ringing for me immediately:

1.  Broken English in the description

2.  One spot in his description says that he ships from Canada

3.  Another spot in the description says that he ships from the USA

4.  Big $ book and 0 feedback.

I agree and that is 100% on me for not digging into the seller deeper to smell this out.  I was browsing ebay on my phone scrolling for CGC books and saw the auction for this book ending soon and on top of that it was (supposedly) located in Canada just down the road.  I never see Walking Dead #1 9.8 for sale in Canada and the price was within striking distance as the clock was ticking down so I got tunnel vision and threw a bid in as the clock expired and won.

Lesson learned for sure.  I have made about 50 purchases off ebay and this is the first problem I have had.

On 3/14/2022 at 8:49 PM, pemart1966 said:

He may turn out to be legit but until he does, my alarm bells are ringing.

I have thought about that well.  What if it shows up?  I wouldn't feel good at all and I have no clue the extents you would have to go through to make it right.

Having said that, there is a tracking number for a package that is leaving China and heading to the city I live in.  Will it actually arrive at my house?  If it does, I can't help but wonder.......

whats-in-the-box.jpg

"What if it shows up?"...and it's what you thought you bought...  That's easy - you pay the guy.

From what you're saying, you have nothing to worry about.  Your CC hasn't been charged and eBay has put the transaction on hold.

The seller on the other hand has (allegedly) shipped your book...if he has maybe he's the one that should be worried lol  

Edited by pemart1966

On 3/14/2022 at 6:47 PM, LudaToke said:

I recently won an auction that I now suspect my be a scam in the works.  The book that I won says it was shipping from Toronto, Ontario (I am just outside of the city) but now that there is a tracking number listed, it is saying that the book is being sent from China.  I have contacted the seller to ask what is going on and why the discrepancy but it doesn't look like they are going to reply.  The alarm bells are ringing and this smells fishy.

On 3/14/2022 at 8:14 PM, LudaToke said:

Having said that, there is a tracking number for a package that is leaving China and heading to the city I live in.  Will it actually arrive at my house? 

This could very well be just a scam.  But I also know for a fact that Chinese sellers......or at least Chinese drop shippers......use this tactic to sell their products on Ebay.

They know that people will be more likely to bid or purchase if they list the items as being sold and shipped from the bidders home country.  I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was looking for a cell phone case.  I wanted a discontinued case that I could not find anywhere.....until I saw that one seller on Ebay was offering it with shipping from California.  

I purchased the case and waited for the shipping notice.  When it came, it included tracking from China.  I was ticked and contacted the seller, but didn't get a reply.  I left a negative for them warning others that the seller was lying in their listing and the shipping was from China.  Since the seller lied about where the item was shipping from, and the tracking stalled for a month, I filed a claim with Ebay to get my money back.  I got my refund, and then weeks later the phone case actually did show up.  I kept it for my troubles and because I don't like being lied to.

I created a thread as it was happening that you can read here.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 3/14/2022 at 9:14 PM, LudaToke said:

I have thought about that well.  What if it shows up?  I wouldn't feel good at all and I have no clue the extents you would have to go through to make it right.

Having said that, there is a tracking number for a package that is leaving China and heading to the city I live in.  Will it actually arrive at my house?  If it does, I can't help but wonder.......

whats-in-the-box.jpg

Hopefully not a severed head