• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes a 'Classic' cover & who decides?
3 3

86 posts in this topic

Personally I think we should in house this.  We have enough knowledge and experience here on the boards that we could decide.  The main thing would be to decide on our criteria.  
Something like:

Person nominates by posting cover to “classic cover thread”. Includes “poll” with only one option “yes”.  Once 50? 100? People agree it is put up to a two week proper vote with yes and no as options.  To be considered a CGC Boards classic cover it needs to receive over 1/2? 2/3? 3/4? yes votes.

Then we can lobby CGC to use that for their classic cover designation.

On 3/16/2022 at 4:21 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Try telling that to dealers.  All of them charge a premium for a cover designated as ‘classic’ by Overstreet 

They also charge premiums for many other popular covers that will never get a "classic cover" designation from anyone. (shrug)

I think the first criteria should be that the comic has been in existence long enough to determine whether the cover has stood the test of time - 20 years at least in my books. I agree with the sentiment that the mere mention of the issue number should be enough to conjure an image of the cover in one's mind. From there, the cover should be overtly great or awful in a way that distinguishes it from other notable covers from the same period. A notable artist helps. A key storyline helps, but definitely isn't required (Batman 227, Superman 233 as examples). 

On 3/14/2022 at 10:55 PM, kav said:

Its kind of like radioactive decay.  There is no way to tell which atom will decay next.  There is no physical law that can determine this.  Even God does not know.  

Swedish Chef.jpeg

On 3/16/2022 at 4:37 PM, thunsicker said:

Personally I think we should in house this.  We have enough knowledge and experience here on the boards that we could decide.  The main thing would be to decide on our criteria.  
Something like:

Person nominates by posting cover to “classic cover thread”. Includes “poll” with only one option “yes”.  Once 50? 100? People agree it is put up to a two week proper vote with yes and no as options.  To be considered a CGC Boards classic cover it needs to receive over 1/2? 2/3? 3/4? yes votes.

I like this idea.😉

On 3/16/2022 at 7:37 PM, thunsicker said:

Something like:

I’m game for this. 

I think we can do a forum post where people nominate covers and in order to be valid, it must have ‘X’ amount of likes (hearts) but people can down vote with sad faces?

On 3/16/2022 at 10:12 PM, D2 said:

I’m game for this. 

I think we can do a forum post where people nominate covers and in order to be valid, it must have ‘X’ amount of likes (hearts) but people can down vote with sad faces?

No chance of hard feelings from the down votes :insane:

On 3/16/2022 at 10:26 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

No chance of hard feelings from the down votes :insane:

Lol can you imagine it being one big political fight where even the most concrete nominations, are violently downvoted simply due to the submitter. 
It would be a sight to see

On 3/15/2022 at 7:40 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

So, as a refresher, here's the response from Overstreet editor, Mark Huseman:

Designation of "classic" covers follows no specific criteria, and there's no Council of Elders who meet in secret to vote. Various advisors or readers will make suggestions, and Bob Overstreet and the Gemstone staff will give it some thought. Personally, I consider a classic cover to be memorable and one that will be copied or swiped or "homaged" in later years. Incredible Hulk #340 and Amazing Spider-Man #50 fit that criteria, but those, they're so obviously classic that no designation is needed. It goes without saying.

Folks, you tell me...is this Harley Quinn cover memorable or one that will be copied or swiped or "homaged" in later years?  I think not, yet it is a classic cover, according to Overstreet.  I can list dozens of covers from the same era that are far more worthy of being noted as a classic cover over this piece of .  Some of the most 'homaged' or swiped covers since the time I raised this question back in 2014 are McSpidey #1 and ASM 300.  Are they worthy of classic cover designation?  Heck, yeah!  Are they listed as such in Overstreet? um, no.

See the source image

First time I've ever seen that cover.  And I collect Joker covers.

I assume the marketplace decides. People seek out desirable covers and ultimately pay more for them. Hulk 340 is valuable because of the cover whether it is designated as such by CGC/Overstreet or not. Any designation should be made as a reaction to the marketplace not the other way around. 

On 3/16/2022 at 4:37 PM, thunsicker said:

Something like:

I propose we establish a committee to look into the aspects of what that committee should look like.  Should Marvel collectors get to vote on what DC covers are classics?  Can a DC collector be considered sane? How many years before a book can be considered classic?  What is the perfect numberof people for the committee?  Will there be cookies? 

I'd say we need a sub-committe in order to get a semi-accurate idea of when the committee might have its membership reguirements available for a vote no later than Labor Day, with the committee aspiring to be fully manned and named in time for this years Yule.

On 3/17/2022 at 3:16 AM, shadroch said:

I propose we establish a committee to look into the aspects of what that committee should look like.  Should Marvel collectors get to vote on what DC covers are classics?  Can a DC collector be considered sane? How many years before a book can be considered classic?  What is the perfect numberof people for the committee?  Will there be cookies? 

I'd say we need a sub-committe in order to get a semi-accurate idea of when the committee might have its membership reguirements available for a vote no later than Labor Day, with the committee aspiring to be fully manned and named in time for this years Yule.

I'd vote yes for cookies.  Or doughnuts, I'll have to get back to you by this years Yule on which is more "classic".