• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No graders notes on a 9.6?
3 3

53 posts in this topic

I just received my Transformers 1 back from  CGC which graded as a 9.6 w/white pages. No graders notes were made available, which I am a little confused by. There was also a 9.4 and 9.2 in the same submission with no notes. Thoughts?

80C085F7-7B57-440D-AFCA-65A8E8393A35.jpeg

On 3/16/2022 at 4:49 AM, Tnexus said:

They almost never do grader notes for 9.6's. Also grader notes are made for graders to share notes between themselves. If the deductions are fairly obvious, there's no reason to notate it.

Understood. Unfortunately, the deductions are not obvious. Notes are shared with owners on some books but not others? Just curious.

• Administrator

CGC Grader Notes

What are CGC Grader Notes?

When CGC graders examine a collectible, they may enter comments about its condition. These “Grader Notes” describe problems, indicate the condition of the interior pages, and help explain why a collectible received the grade it did. After the first grader enters notes and their grade, the next grader can review those notes and can make any additional notes. For collectibles with the purple CGC Restored Grade label, Restoration Notes are given that describe the location and type of restoration. These notes are a valuable part of the grading process, and CGC makes Grader Notes available online for Authorized Dealers and paid members.

Sample Grader Notes

Some commonly used CGC Grader Notes include:

• Right Center Front Cover Lite Fingerprints
  • Top Spine Water Damage
  • Left Center Back Cover Moderate Erasure Mark
  • Spine Small Stress Lines
  • Staple Rusted w/Rust Stained Interior
  • Interior Heavy Tanning
  • Bottom Right Front Cover Large Crease
  • Top Right Front Cover Restoration Color Touch
  • Left Center Back Cover Restoration Tear Seal

Grader Notes Fee

Grader Notes are free for CGC Authorized Dealers and paid members (if available)!

Grader Notes are available in the Verify CGC Certification tool at CGCcomics.com/verify.

To see if any collectibles in your submissions have Grader Notes, log in and click “My Submissions.” Then click “View Status.”

Important Notes

• CGC Grader Notes are not entered for every CGC-certified collectible. They are entered at the discretion of CGC’s graders.
  • CGC Grader Notes do not necessarily describe every defect on a CGC-certified collectible.
  • Pre-screen submissions that do not meet the submitter’s minimum grade (i.e., “Pre-Screen rejects”) do not get CGC Grader Notes.

On 3/16/2022 at 8:37 AM, Odda said:

Not sure why it is a waste of time. It would just be nice to see why the flaw(s) were. Thanks.

Edited by Odda

On 3/16/2022 at 10:37 AM, Odda said:

Not sure why it is a waste of time. It would just be nice to see why the flaw(s) were. Thanks.

There are a couple of options:

1. Learn to grade at an elementary level.
  2. Accept the authority of CGC's opinion as a 'matter of fact'.

On 3/16/2022 at 5:59 AM, Odda said:

I just received my Transformers 1 back from  CGC which graded as a 9.6 w/white pages. No graders notes were made available, which I am a little confused by. There was also a 9.4 and 9.2 in the same submission with no notes. Thoughts?

Seems odd that there’s zero notes for all 3 copies

Graders notes on high grade books are very rare. For better or worse, my sense is that the graders mostly only take notes when they're indexing the problems with books that have more substantive defects. I've had books as low as 8.0 without notes.

But in general, never expect graders notes. It's nice when they're present. I wish they were present more often. Heck, I wish they were mandatory, but I know what that would do to the already substantial turn around times.

On 3/16/2022 at 9:05 AM, Qalyar said:

Graders notes on high grade books are very rare. For better or worse, my sense is that the graders mostly only take notes when they're indexing the problems with books that have more substantive defects. I've had books as low as 8.0 without notes.

But in general, never expect graders notes. It's nice when they're present. I wish they were present more often. Heck, I wish they were mandatory, but I know what that would do to the already substantial turn around times.

For the time and expense needed no notes on a 8.0 is just crazy town.

On 3/16/2022 at 4:59 AM, Odda said:

Story by Ralph Macchio?  The Karate Kid wrote Transformers?

9.4 and higher rarely get notes

If you wonder why your book isn’t higher it’s usually the following

-corners aren’t as sharp

-spine tick, even if barely noticeablr

-interior flaw (maybe larger than desired printing tears in the margins, colour or ink smearing, etc)

Odda... I understand your concern. There is quite a difference in value between a 9.6 and 9.8. Since you can't see the flaw(s) I'm sure you would like to know what it is. It would most likely be only one line in the grader notes compared to three and more for lower grades.