• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No graders notes on a 9.6?
3 3

53 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2022 at 10:26 PM, Poekaymon said:

That's, like, your opinion, man.  Here's another one: on the contrary, 9.6 is the one grade that should always have notes.  (And, I actually have gotten a fair amount of notes on 9.6s.)  For one thing, 9.6 to 9.8 is usually, if not always, the highest dollar value jump.  Informationally, I don't care if a 9.2 or 9.4 has no notes--I should have been aware of the defects anyway.  But there are actually a lot of times where a 9.6 looks same (or better) than a 9.8, and it'd be really nice to see what, in CGC's opinion, prevented that book from being a 9.8.  

This 100%, everyone should re-read it.

It's interesting to see notes on everything, but I'm sure the main reason they don't is simply lack of time (given the never-ending avalanche of books they receive daily). I've been submitting for almost 18 years and the percentage of books that have notes has declined dramatically in recent years. 

On 3/17/2022 at 6:53 AM, Lord Gemini said:

Ignore him. I too think we should have graders notes for anything under 9.8. I don't see CGC changing their procedures for that though, unfortunately.

Eh, it’s the same folks that will throw the “CGC loves Werewolf by Night 32 and the graders give it a grade bump” accusation. Blows with the fair winds, or whatever koolaid they are drinking that day. Again, I have no problem with the grade the book received especially since the book spent the last 30ish years.

On 3/17/2022 at 3:25 PM, Odda said:

Again, I have no problem with the grade the book received especially since the book spent the last 30ish years.

Is this a cliff hanger???  I can't stand the suspense!  WHERE did the book spend the last 30-ish years?  Or is it HOW did the book spend the last 30-ish years?  Let's have some guesses, suggestions, or speculation from the peanut gallery.

On 3/18/2022 at 2:23 AM, Lightning55 said:

Is this a cliff hanger???  I can't stand the suspense!  WHERE did the book spend the last 30-ish years?  Or is it HOW did the book spend the last 30-ish years?  Let's have some guesses, suggestions, or speculation from the peanut gallery.

No cliffhanger here. In a box in storage while I was away in the military. Surprised the folks didn’t throw it out with the trash. Got lucky.

9.6 is always pretty obvious and the reason why they don't. I got two unread books cleaned and pressed and looked 9.8 but both had one flaw that made them a 9.6. I would have liked notes to confirm but they do say if a flaw stands out it's a mark. It will jump out. A 9.4 is always to me 2 flaws. The Your Transformer looking at it the first thing that stood out was the color rub on top right corner. It's real obvious and my eye keeps catching it. The rest of the book is solid. So 9.6 1 flaw white pages. Clean book.