• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Modern Age Snob was wrong
1 1

43 posts in this topic

Before I got too busy to keep up, I loved new modern stories. 2000s Ms. Marvel, the new Ghost Rider, Nova and X-Force stuff. I enjoyed it. I think new books are great. I just don’t get a chance to read em much.

And I can see the appeal of collecting Moderns - I mean, who doesn’t want to collect a book they like?

On 9/2/2022 at 7:12 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Before I got too busy to keep up, I loved new modern stories. 2000s Ms. Marvel, the new Ghost Rider, Nova and X-Force stuff. I enjoyed it. I think new books are great. I just don’t get a chance to read em much.

And I can see the appeal of collecting Moderns - I mean, who doesn’t want to collect a book they like?

I don't often feel the need for moderns. It's too much a chase when I prefer the hunt so to speak.

I still ask questions as ignorant as I may be, it's the only way to learn. Retaining knowledge when not associated for long periods plays a part too  :sorry:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/3/2022 at 7:03 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Some of the best art, some of the worst.

Just like any other comic book Age.

Totally agree. The level of detail and style in modern art is amazing. Technological limits in platesetting (lower DPI), paper quality and ink holdout (newsprint bleeds horribly), press registration (stretched plates leading to minute misregistration and reducing crispness are a thing of the past) and not to mention the time constraints of the artist having to complete several books in a one-month publication cycle contributed to having to sustain a simpler illustration style in previous ages. Half of David Finch's linework would have blown out on a 1960's stat camera when they went to burn plates. Jae Lee's heavy black ink work would have bled together into a gigantic shadowy mess back in the olden days.

The next-level skill and style of modern artists are complemented by the advancements of technology. When you see what limits those amazing artists in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s had, the great ones really stand out.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 9/6/2022 at 10:10 AM, 'Lorider said:

Exhibit A: Humberto Ramos.

He has a cartoon-y vibe that I really like. He has the ability to use 'depth' in standout way, too.

Edit: Now that you've laughed at me(!), I see that his older work was pretty damn bad. I think that his work in the last 5 years or so has had a certain charm to it.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 9/6/2022 at 6:22 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

You're absolutely wrong.

Except I'm not. The greatest comic art of all time was produced prior to the modern age of comics, especially if your starting point of the modern age trends towards the 90s. Hell, most of the artists responsible for the greatest comic art of all time weren't even alive and contributing to the medium during the modern age and if they were their work product was just a husk of what it once was.  

On 9/6/2022 at 2:55 PM, darkstar said:

Except I'm not. The greatest comic art of all time was produced prior to the modern age of comics, especially if your starting point of the modern age trends towards the 90s. Hell, most of the artists responsible for the greatest comic art of all time weren't even alive and contributing to the medium during the modern age and if they were their work product was just a husk of what it once was.  

Your arrogance in ignorance is unmatched, I'll give you that.

The last modern I read had something like 14 pages of story, eight pages of ads and a house page. It was horribly thin and I didn't like the feel of the paper at all.  The story wasn't bad but there was no value there.  Especially when you can get the story in a collected form in a few months for half the price, and more than likely the TPB will be $5 or less not long afterwards.

If you like a mainstream hero, chances are you can pick up several older issues for what this months thirtieth revamp will cost you. 

Just a different perspective.  With 80plus years of incredible history available, I'm not sure why this weeks books are paramount.

On 9/6/2022 at 8:08 PM, Krismusic said:

You guys do know art is subjective lol arguing about who the better modern artist is…. :popcorn:

Yup. If someone prefers McFarlane or Liefeld, and if that brings them enjoyment, it’s fine by me. 

Todd MacFarlane is definitely a more recent favourite of mine, albeit some may consider his art a bit "cartoonish".  BWS, for me, is the greatest comic book artist of all time.  His attention to detail (even in the background of his work) is exquisite.  Does anybody know if he has come out with anything recently?  I love his old stuff from the Gorblimey Press...

On 9/7/2022 at 12:06 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's no surprise that the people who grew up with Black & White TV have no taste.

Only had two channels, BBC 1 and ITV as a very young kid in the late 60s.   Still appreciate material from all eras, though, including that newfangled digital stuff at times.

On 9/7/2022 at 3:45 PM, 'Lorider said:

Monsters came out after 30 years! :acclaim:

That’s a long read, nearly 400 pages.  Good suggestion. Not surprised it took a while.

Edited by Ken Aldred