• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do blank sketch covers work for CGC signings?
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Hi there. I'm not really a noob, but I'm considering sending in a blank sketch cover for the Jon Bogdanove signing event, and I haven't ever done that before. I met Jon at ComicFest '93 in Philly when I was a little kid, and he did a Supes sketch on a backing board for me, that got lost somewhere along the way. I'd love to replace it, with a sketch on a blank comic. So I'm looking to pick up this version of Superman #1 (2018), but I see that it has a glossy blank flap over the "real" (blank) sketch cover. Will CGC remove that front flap when they grade and encapsulate it? Or should I? I don't want green on the label and I obviously don't want the sketch covered. And I want the Superman logo & issue number showing. Thanks in advance, and sorry if this was answered elsewhere! Couldn't find it in a search.

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

On 3/17/2022 at 7:45 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

No. Its existence is to protect the cover until sketch. It's like removing a polybag.

IMO the OP should remove it himself.

Correct. The outer cover is infused with silicone to keep the "real cover" from damage and color rub. If removing it yourself, make sure to really inspect the area around the staples, as I see many books with remnants of the protective wrap stuck to the staple area.

On 3/20/2022 at 5:23 PM, The Velcronomicon said:

I think I'm going to go with Joeypost. It's not an actual cover, it's just protection. Removing it should not affect the grade.

Maybe I saw the different books.  Those books are not sketch covers  The outer cover was removed and CGC gave it incomplete grade.  

The best way is to contact Signature Series customer service. They will answer your questions directly.

On 3/20/2022 at 3:26 PM, The Velcronomicon said:

Also:

"it was added because comic enthusiasts and artists were complaining that the sketch blanks were arriving very dirty directly from the distributor. Good luck getting a 9.8 grade with the "damaged" covers.

I quite like that they have added the protective sheet, and yes if you send it in CGC removes the sheet."

Thanks!! This feels settled now. I bought a few copies of the book, and the outermost cover is very much obviously a protective flap. It's like tissue paper. I'll let CGC remove it. Oddly enough, some copies didn't have the flap and others did. I'll just send in the most perfect one with flap.

I have a foil cover comic that has this same protective outer cover - CGC customer service told me that if I wanted it graded, I could remove it myself or I could indicate to them that I wanted them to remove it.