• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Genie Appears Before You...
2 2

38 posts in this topic

Most of comic collecting is obsessing over the value and dreaming of the prospect of selling for big bucks, even if you'd never sell.   And doing it many, many times over like an OCD on drugs or something.  Not hanging a Dec 27 on your wall and calling it a day.  That's just ridiculous.

On 3/17/2022 at 6:30 AM, Falcon760 said:

Most of comic collecting is obsessing over the value and dreaming of the prospect of selling for big bucks

Not for me.

It is a factor, but not the major component. Agree with the one and done being a non-starter, tho!

Edited by KirbyJack

More interesting would be a Genie just gives you a book, any book, in 9.9.  It has to be a book that most OTHER people wouldn't want though.  If someone else has asked him for the book already, you lose the wish AND your collection.  THAT would be a nice gamble ;)

EDIT:   I'd wish fpor a Dippy Duck 1.  Certain I'd get it ;)

Edited by davidpg

On 3/16/2022 at 8:18 PM, Krydel4 said:

And offers you this deal. You can have any 1 book you desire, in any grade you desire with 3 provisions...

1. All books you have in your collection now become the property of the Genie.

2. You cannot sell or trade your desired book in your lifetime. Till Death do you Part.

3. Upon your death the book must be donated to a non-profit or Charity for them to sell and reap the proceeds from it.

Do you take the deal?

This would depend entirely upon whether my genie looked quite literally like a youthful version of Barbara Eden.

If that caveat was satisfied then answer would be yes as nuptials would follow as she'd inherit my collection after my demise anyway.  The desired book and charity proceeds would be an afterthought.  Satisfaction all around. (thumbsu

On 3/16/2022 at 9:18 PM, Krydel4 said:

And offers you this deal. You can have any 1 book you desire, in any grade you desire with 3 provisions...

2. You cannot sell or trade your desired book in your lifetime. Till Death do you Part.

3. Upon your death the book must be donated to a non-profit or Charity for them to sell and reap the proceeds from it.

Do you take the deal?

No.

On 3/17/2022 at 2:18 AM, Krydel4 said:

Do you take the deal?

Deal-breaker already at #2, let alone #3. meh

On 3/16/2022 at 8:18 PM, Krydel4 said:

Do you take the deal?

i own two high-grade major inapaks the charity can have.

On 3/16/2022 at 9:25 PM, Readcomix said:

Yep. First edition. Lady artist, no less, that little minx! :devil:

First three printings, in fact (NO HRN, HRN 17, HRN 20), all with the "Classic Comics" title. When they reprinted this after the switch to "Classics Illustrated", someone apparently actually paid attention to the art!

As for the genie deal, I don't think there's anything in the proposal that would stop you from rebuilding your collection. You're not limited to one book forever, you just have to trade your entire current collection for one book (which you must then keep until death, etc.). Anyway, no deal from me. A couple of years ago, I might have gone for it, but I've since picked up too many weird chase pieces that I'm not guaranteed to be able to replace. And, frankly, nothing that I want for my personal collection will be 6- or 7-digit books anyway. So patience wins out over pesky genies.

On 3/16/2022 at 11:16 PM, Krydel4 said:

Obviously, the Golden Agers are much too smart to be taken in by my Faustian proposition. Back to the 5th Dimension I go.🤪

And stay there!  :screwy: