• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Producing your own Mylar Bags
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I've recently purchased the Marvel Graphic Novel: The Big Change, with no intentions in the immediate future. I was thinking about how worth it would it be to buy a pack of E. Gerber Standard Magazine bags & boards, but thought of another idea. I have store in my city that sells conservation and restauration products. Among them they sell big acid-free sheets of board (around the thickness of a half-back) and huge rolls of transparent Melinex (a.k.a. Mylar). So I was wondering if it wouldn't be cheaper to just make my own bag (and gotta some extra back-boards in the process).
Now, cutting board is relatively easy, the true issue lies with producing the bag. Does anyone here have experience/know of a tutorial better than this one?: 

This seems like an idea where personal execution will exceed the cost of buying the mass manufactured item. You want the bag to be flat since wrinkling may transfer to your comic. Huge seams will also look bad and may make it not fit into standard boxes. There's also no guarantee you can cut each to be exactly the same size as the next. (The idea is to have it cut and seal at the same time probably with two offset films lying flat on top of each other if you want a flap.) If you're trying to make something like an Archive 4 Mylar that is open at the top; that may be easier, but a consistent, clean edge seam would seem to necessitate some calibrated precise equipment.

@YorickI actually wouldn't mind having visible lines since my main goal here is preservation, not aesthetics, but thank you for the recommendation, I may have some trouble finding someone who would have such a tool though (since buying that equipment for the production of just 1 bag would be nonsensical).

@sckao I actually wouldn't mind creating a separate smaller box where I could store this one item and place it among the rest, and again, I only intend to make one so I don't think I'd need to worry about cost-effectiveness. I can get a 9.8'' (around the width of a Standard Magazine Mylite + extra if needed) cut from a Melinex/Mylar roll that is as thick as a 2 Mil bag for 1.36 dollars or 1.24 euros (buying 1 meter would be around 5 bucks) and a 160 x 100 centimeters acid-free board of the same thickness as a full-back (meaning I get some extra full-backs after this project :bigsmile:) for 8.70 dollars or 7.90 euros. Without caring much about presentation, if I am successful in making a Mylite-type bag out of this, I'd say it would be more cost-effective than buying a 50 bucks 50-pack of Standard Magazine Mylites 4 and 20 bucks 100-pack of Standard Magazine Half-Backs (the only two products of that size I have access to here in Europe). Since my main goal here is preservation, I'm not sure going with polybags would cut it for this particular Graphic Novel (considering its age but you tell me, I'm the newbie here :gossip:) but I could go for a pack of Magazine bags from Ultimate Guard or Comicare with matching boards...

@ PontoonThat would be a very useful machine as well, like with Yorick's recommendation, I'd have to find someone willing to lend it to me for this project... hm

Edited by TheHulkCollector