• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Creating Defects - What To Do????
2 2

15 posts in this topic

I've written before about how my last two shipments to CGC both came back with new defects, crunch in the corner.

The first batch of 40 that I submitted ONE YEAR AGO just recently came back after they pressed and regraded them.

Then...a batch of 80 books that I submitted last June also came back with new "corner crunch."  It's self-evident that the damage in both cases happened before they were graded.   

The batch of 80 books have been sitting, just sitting, in the store of my local comic shop owner as he supposedly argues with CGC about fixing them; his story is he needs to talk to a supervisor and can't.  So they sit.  And now they require photos to prove they did the damage.  

2 1/2 months now this batch of 80 has been just sitting in his store.

I don't know what to do anymore.

I contact him every couple weeks and it's always the same story.

Meanwhile, the value of the books is tanking.

I really don't know what to do anymore?

Anyone else having similar issues?

Help!!!!!

P.S. The books aren't here so I have no photos to include.   

Definitely not your fault but this is the primary reason I have my own membership and never submit through a LCS.  Its not worth the headache if something goes awry.  I would go get your books from the LCS as well as the order information and try to call CGC and manage this yourself.  There could be an issue with them helping since they were submitted through your LCS.  They may consider the order private information.  There have been an endless number of LCS submission nightmares and many times the LCS doesn't get around to doing what they said there were going to do.  CGC's customer service has become so poor over the last couple of years.  A common pattern around here is never hearing back from them so maybe your LCS is telling the truth.  Either way, I would go get your books.

On 3/22/2022 at 12:59 PM, comicquant said:

Definitely not your fault but this is the primary reason I have my own membership and never submit through a LCS.  Its not worth the headache if something goes awry.  I would go get your books from the LCS as well as the order information and try to call CGC and manage this yourself.  There could be an issue with them helping since they were submitted through your LCS.  They may consider the order private information.  There have been an endless number of LCS submission nightmares and many times the LCS doesn't get around to doing what they said there were going to do.  CGC's customer service has become so poor over the last couple of years.  A common pattern around here is never hearing back from them so maybe your LCS is telling the truth.  Either way, I would go get your books.

Thanks

On 3/22/2022 at 1:04 PM, The Velcronomicon said:

Exactly. How do we know the LCS isn't responsible for the damage to the books in the first place? "Crunch in the corner" sounds like a poor shipping problem to me.

It may be his fault.  I don't know what I could prove. 

Update:  Just spoke to my LCS owner.  He tells me now CGC will definitely NOT  press and reholder the damaged books.  I'll try to deal with CGC myself.  This is so, so, so, so not right!!!!!!

Adding the LCS to the equation definitely puts you in a subordinate position.  The LCS as a pass-through is probably not making a ton of money, just wants to get it in and out, get paid.  Not their comics, so packing for shipment to CGC could be lax.  When things go South, not getting paid for the extra work or hassle (that they probably caused in the first place), so not motivated to help much.  They can tell you that they called, spent hours on the phone, couldn't get to the right person, no one answered their call, no one answered their email, etc.  You have to take their word for it.  CGC could be placing the blame squarely on the LCS, and you would have no way of knowing.  The LCS isn't going to reveal that.

It's bad enough that there are a lot of cooks in the kitchen already with a direct submission, handling your books - shipping carrier getting them to CGC, person opening the box at CGC (oops, I dropped it, hope no one saw that), person at intake logging in your submission, page count checker, over to CCS, over to Grading where 2 graders are flipping through, encapsulation hit squad, QC (maybe), CGC shipper boxing up the order (maybe same butter-fingered guy who opened it), shipping carrier bumping its way back to you.  Add the LCS, and the fact that you are now not "CGC's customer", and you are in a weak position when something goes wrong.  And things frequently go wrong.

If you can sell the comics and recoup all or most of your costs, I would think that is the best path forward.  Take the money, get a CGC account, and try again with a new group of comics.  Otherwise, all you will see from CGC and the LCS is finger pointing.

Thanks for sharing your story. There may not be much you can do given the circumstances surrounding the process. I don’t mean to be a downer or negative  but there is no way to know for sure how they were damaged. 
All cgc staff handles comics very well in my experience. And most lgs that grade for patrons or customers also handle comics well.

I suggest calling customer service and explaining  your situation. I can’t promise any magic fixes but someone could at least help you resolve the matter and have some finality.

Careful packaging and handling are very important. With an order that large I recommend making the submission yourself!

Creating a submission is easier than ever. Online tutorials and cgc staff will always be there to help ensure the process goes smoothly. 
By giving your books to a third party it increases the chances of damage during handling as another user posted.

good luck!

On 3/22/2022 at 12:40 PM, Tafkap said:

I've written before about how my last two shipments to CGC both came back with new defects, crunch in the corner.

The first batch of 40 that I submitted ONE YEAR AGO just recently came back after they pressed and regraded them.

Then...a batch of 80 books that I submitted last June also came back with new "corner crunch."  It's self-evident that the damage in both cases happened before they were graded.   

The batch of 80 books have been sitting, just sitting, in the store of my local comic shop owner as he supposedly argues with CGC about fixing them; his story is he needs to talk to a supervisor and can't.  So they sit.  And now they require photos to prove they did the damage.  

2 1/2 months now this batch of 80 has been just sitting in his store.

Both shipments came back with the same type of damage?  Were all 80 books damaged?  If not then I'd go get those books that aren't damaged and try to resell them yourself.  Maybe it's time to try to send your books out yourself or through another LCS.  

On 3/22/2022 at 3:59 PM, Lightning55 said:

Adding the LCS to the equation definitely puts you in a subordinate position.  The LCS as a pass-through is probably not making a ton of money, just wants to get it in and out, get paid.  Not their comics, so packing for shipment to CGC could be lax.  When things go South, not getting paid for the extra work or hassle (that they probably caused in the first place), so not motivated to help much.  They can tell you that they called, spent hours on the phone, couldn't get to the right person, no one answered their call, no one answered their email, etc.  You have to take their word for it.  CGC could be placing the blame squarely on the LCS, and you would have no way of knowing.  The LCS isn't going to reveal that.

It's bad enough that there are a lot of cooks in the kitchen already with a direct submission, handling your books - shipping carrier getting them to CGC, person opening the box at CGC (oops, I dropped it, hope no one saw that), person at intake logging in your submission, page count checker, over to CCS, over to Grading where 2 graders are flipping through, encapsulation hit squad, QC (maybe), CGC shipper boxing up the order (maybe same butter-fingered guy who opened it), shipping carrier bumping its way back to you.  Add the LCS, and the fact that you are now not "CGC's customer", and you are in a weak position when something goes wrong.  And things frequently go wrong.

If you can sell the comics and recoup all or most of your costs, I would think that is the best path forward.  Take the money, get a CGC account, and try again with a new group of comics.  Otherwise, all you will see from CGC and the LCS is finger pointing.

Good advice.  Thanks. 

I had a similar situation a few years ago. 

I submitted my books through my LCS. One book had old tape on the cover that was pulled off. CGC claimed they got it that way, the shop claimed they just packed and shipped it. 

No one took any responsibility and I was left with a damaged book.  Honestly I was mostly disappointed because the book had survived nearly 70 years in pretty nice shape and under my watch, in an effort to preserve it, it got damaged. 

The lesson for me was, don't use a third party. It just muddies the water and leaves you on the hook. 

(The first picture was taken the day before I submitted it to CGC). 

20200725_103401.jpg

IMG_20210530_142627767.jpg

IMG_20210530_142632822.jpg

On 3/22/2022 at 5:38 PM, sonicyouth1 said:

Thanks for sharing your story. There may not be much you can do given the circumstances surrounding the process. I don’t mean to be a downer or negative  but there is no way to know for sure how they were damaged. 
All cgc staff handles comics very well in my experience. And most lgs that grade for patrons or customers also handle comics well.

I suggest calling customer service and explaining  your situation. I can’t promise any magic fixes but someone could at least help you resolve the matter and have some finality.

Careful packaging and handling are very important. With an order that large I recommend making the submission yourself!

Creating a submission is easier than ever. Online tutorials and cgc staff will always be there to help ensure the process goes smoothly. 
By giving your books to a third party it increases the chances of damage during handling as another user posted.

good luck!

Thanks

On 3/22/2022 at 7:42 PM, KCOComics said:

I had a similar situation a few years ago. 

I submitted my books through my LCS. One book had old tape on the cover that was pulled off. CGC claimed they got it that way, the shop claimed they just packed and shipped it. 

No one took any responsibility and I was left with a damaged book.  Honestly I was mostly disappointed because the book had survived nearly 70 years in pretty nice shape and under my watch, in an effort to preserve it, it got damaged. 

The lesson for me was, don't use a third party. It just muddies the water and leaves you on the hook. 

(The first picture was taken the day before I submitted it to CGC). 

20200725_103401.jpg

IMG_20210530_142627767.jpg

IMG_20210530_142632822.jpg

No more 3rd  party, damn right.  My books sat in plastic bags unopened, some for almost 40 freaking years, so I can relate.  I was sooooo careful with them just to have the premier company in the industry destroy them!  Or maybe poor shipping by the LCS owner.  And it happened 2 times in a row with submissions that were 3 months apart!  Just unbelievable.  

On 3/22/2022 at 10:44 PM, Tafkap said:

No more 3rd  party, damn right.  My books sat in plastic bags unopened, some for almost 40 freaking years, so I can relate.  I was sooooo careful with them just to have the premier company in the industry destroy them!  Or maybe poor shipping by the LCS owner.  And it happened 2 times in a row with submissions that were 3 months apart!  Just unbelievable.  

Ugh. I'm sorry. 

I was so disgusted with the entire experience I didn't look at that Blue Bolt for over a year. 

The monetary impact is one thing, but it sucks when it happens to a book you really care about. 

In any event, good luck!