• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold Key To Return
1 1

52 posts in this topic

On 3/23/2022 at 12:33 PM, Miguelb said:

Wonder if this would generate any new interest in the low print Valiant issues.

I would think more likely the original Gold Key/Dell series, but who knows. I guess it will depend on if they can attract readers.

On 3/23/2022 at 6:58 PM, The Velcronomicon said:

Or Dark Horse?

Forgot about that. They were publishing Magnus, Solar and, I think, Turok around 2010 or so.

On 3/23/2022 at 12:15 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Considering the market, I'm wondering whether he'd have been better just going with a new name, and using the money spent on the name for other startup costs? 

Yeah. From what I can see, all they have is the Gold Key name/trademark, not the rights to any of the relatively few non-licensed properties that Gold Key published. I wonder how much they paid.

On 3/23/2022 at 4:45 PM, valiantman said:

Agreed - it looks like they have permission to put the Gold Key name and logo on books, but not any permissions to put identifiable characters in the books.

Gold Key presents: Characters you've never heard of... for that nostalgia you get when you don't recognize something

:kidaround:

Do the rights to the characters ever revert back to Gold Key?

On 3/24/2022 at 9:10 AM, wisbyron said:

They should reach out to Shooter at least in a consultant capacity.

I hope fans support them and buy these books. I hope they succeed.

That seems a bit premature. We don't know titles, creative teams, really nothing yet. It's far from being in our hands to uplift, and frankly, sounds like that stuff's still a fair way away. 

Imagine if they're the new holders of the Transformers and GIJOE licenses. lol That reaction would be beautiful. 

On 3/24/2022 at 10:07 AM, valiantman said:

I don't believe the rights would ever revert to (the new) Gold Key. 

The characters created by Gold Key in the 1960s (Solar, Magnus, Turok (created earlier, by Dell)) belonged to Western Publishing which (through a series of changes - Whitman, Golden Books, Random House) became part of a company called Classic Media in 2000.  Entertainment Rights bought Classic Media in 2006.

Boomerang Media bought Classic Media from Entertainment Rights in 2009, then Dreamworks bought Classic Media from Boomerang in 2012, and NBCUniversal bought Dreamworks in 2016 for $3.8Billion (buried in the huge purchase were the old Gold Key characters).

NBCUniversal created a division called Classic Media (reviving the name) in 2019, which now controls Solar, Magnus, and Turok characters among several others added through the years.

I haven't seen any new Solar, Magnus, or Turok publications since 2017 (about a year after NBCUniversal took over), so I don't know if NBCUniversal has done anything new with the characters or how high those particular characters would be on the priorities.

Solar, Magnus, and Turok publications have always been licensed since the 1990s. None of the various publishing companies owned those three characters they were publishing.

Thank you. You are wealth of knowledge on this as I figured you would be. Shame for the new owners, but I wish them the best.

On 3/24/2022 at 9:58 AM, FormerReader said:

Thank you. You are wealth of knowledge on this as I figured you would be. Shame for the new owners, but I wish them the best.

For whatever it's worth, Solar, Magnus, and Turok have had a new owner/manager in 2006, 2009, 2012, 2016, and 2019.  Maybe 2022 or 2023 will be a lucky year for them. :wishluck:

On 3/24/2022 at 10:02 AM, valiantman said:

For whatever it's worth, Solar, Magnus, and Turok have had a new owner/manager in 2006, 2009, 2012, 2016, and 2019.  Maybe 2022 or 2023 will be a lucky year for them. :wishluck:

There will be a lot of news coming as they still in negotiations with several properties. I am surprised they
have not come in here yet to discuss, but I will wait for them.

Could they use something like The Owl / Owl Girl that is listed in Public Domain (I believe) and did have a short Gold Key run in the late '60s?  I'm definitely interested to know what properties/licenses the new owners will be able to secure.  I really hope this leads to great success :wishluck:

Edited by CrocHntr

I always liked Ripley’s Believe It Or Not. WEIRD ! EERIE ! AUTHENTIC!  Was that Gold Key? Love to see a bio-pic on that Ripley fellow. Far out dude. 

Edited by NoMan