• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long have you been collecting?

142 posts in this topic

Started "collecting" (rather than just "reading") around 1974, when I was 12. Remember picking up GS X-Men #1 off the stands - still have that one - but traded away Hulk 181 'cause i didn't like the story and my buddy wanted it. foreheadslap.gif

There are a few specific issues that I remembered reading as a kid (prior to collecting) and later tracked down. One was a Spider-Man issue that ended with him growing four extra arms - which i later discovered was ASM 100. Pretty cool discovery at the time.

Ray

I always saved my comics, so I guess from the very beginning, I was collecting, at about age 9 or so in 1984. Since then I would say I was buying up back issues on the cheap through high school and college, and then upon graduation from college my senior year became a "serious" collector. I spent a ton of time my senior year summer and first year of law school summer buying tons and tons of back issues and getting to know just about every local store owner I could.

I soon moved onto shows going to the Big Apples and some local ones. Started becoming a high grade freak during the first year of law school and learned more about grading etc.

The last 8 years or so I'd say I've been more active in the scene and a serious collector and trying to learn as much as possible about comics and the like. Still, I think I get more joy out of opening a new Masterworks or new archive and sitting there reading it... but then again, I think I'd be pretty excited going through a bunch of Mint 80s books as well, rediscovering all the books I grew up on.

started in '84.....7th grade...(ASM, Avengers...Hank Pym's first breakdown w/ Egghead, X-Men #194, Secret Wars, Crisis)

took a couple of breaks (college & early wedding years), but on and off for 20+years...

Late July 1986. I was 9 and my Dad was stationed to Bangor, ME. They tossed me on a plane from Oakland to Albany to stay with family while they drove across the country. They wanted to make sure I didn't drive everyone nuts, so they bought me a bunch of comics to keep me busy. Among that lot was Classic X-men 2. Not sure what else.

I've been collecting comics since I could remember. Really picked up when I was 6 or so. They instantly 'got' me when I was very young (try 4!)

I actively collected Avengers as a kid, but was receptive to all titles and genres.

As well, I enjoyed MAD, 1984, and any comic paperbacks I could find at my local library. I really enjoyed the Marvel paperbacks: Fantastic Four, Spider-man. Those sealed the deal that I'd be obsessed with comics for the rest of my life.

Started reading Richie Rich, Hot Stuff, Archies, etc. around 1970.

Bought 1st Marvel/DC book about 1972.

Actually started keeping/collecting comics in nice condition in 1974.

Went crazy with collecting/hoarding/and condition in mid-1970s with the new X-Men.

Ran like the wind.....away from the hobby and horrible comic fads of the 1990s.

Came back in the 2000s due to curiousity about CGC...however 99% of back issue purchases are still unslabbed books.

I became aware of comics in the mid 70s when I was in first or second grade. I had a small pile of dog-eared FFs and Invaders. I always saved my comics, so I guess I started "collecting" then.

Collected to early high school, knocked off for a while and came back after college in 1990/1991. Started buying more expensive books in 1992. On and off since then. acclaim.gif

Started collecting at 13 (1968); bought my first collection of SA back issues at 14 (650-700 books for $150).

Actively collected through college (1974) then light for a couple of years. Except for that one purchase, I only bought off the newsstand rack. Never went to a "comics store" in my life before 2002. Did not buy a single comic from 1977-2002.

My books were in storage at my parents' house for those 25 years without disturbance, until I shipped them to the West Coast. grin.gif

Started collecting at 13 (1968); bought my first collection of SA back issues at 14 (650-700 books for $150).

Actively collected through college (1974) then light for a couple of years. Except for that one purchase, I only bought off the newsstand rack. Never went to a "comics store" in my life before 2002. Did not buy a single comic from 1977-2002.

My books were in storage at my parents' house for those 25 years without disturbance, until I shipped them to the West Coast. grin.gif

Tomato Boxers! acclaim.gif