• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long have you been collecting?

142 posts in this topic

sign-rantpost.gifReading since 1978, and seriously collecting from 1987-1991. Joined the Marines and didn't start collecting again until my wife and I started our own comic shop in 2001 (I had no idea the market had almost crashed out mid-90's- tonofbricks.gifresearch be damned!). Deployment cycles caused us to close down in 2003 but I have been pretty hardcore since then. Hell of a time trying to fill what I got rid of in 91 in decent shape. Christo_pull_hair.gif Good times!

I loved monsters of all types. I had all the old Marvel Godzilla runs. I even stayed with that title and got the Darkhorse stuff that came out in ~ late 90s. I loved Gorgo/Konga etc from Charlton as a youngster.

Somewhere along the line I started to read some Valiant. I loved X-O, but seemed to buy the other titles just to have them, or hope to make some $ some day as teh early issues were picking up a lot of steam. 3 long boxes later I had a bunch of junk I didnt like that was worthless.

I stopped collecting for maybe 8 years after that. I just got back into it around last year. I hope not to repeat my Valiant type ways again. I'm reading and purchasing only what I like, and not the next big then.

I think the whole triple embossed, foil stamped, 47 cover variant turned me off to comics for some time.

WTB: 9.0 or better Charlton's Gorgo, Konga and Reptilicus/Reptisaurus issues. PM me if you have something I might like.

I've had two collections. One I started back in 1989 and then stopped collecting around 1994, and eventually sold in 2003. Then this year I got the bug again and started wishing I had never sold my original collection. Right now, probably the gem of my collection is Unexpected 128 in 9.2. My first collection, however, had an Amazing Spiderman #1 in CGC 6.0, and a Vault of Horror #20 in CGC 7.5.

In looking at most of these posts I must be older then "dirt" 27_laughing.gif as a collector. Well here goes started collecting about '1957. My friends and I were DC fans of Superman and Batman. We'd talk about the books, share them ( Christo_pull_hair.gif ) and go the the local comic book spiner rack. I got into Marvels somewhere between '63-64 big time and with my allowance started to try to collect as many as I could. I was a "pack rat" takeit.gif then just as I am now and still have a large number of my original books. But I really wish I had grabbed that Amazing Fantasy #15 893applaud-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif that I'm sure that I saw... foreheadslap.gif

WEBHEAD