• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long have you been collecting?

142 posts in this topic

My mom read comic books to me for bedtime reading so I started when I was two.

When I was about 6 my Uncle turned over a rather large (cripes, at the time I thought it was the biggest in the world) collection of 1963 to 1970 DC Comics. I read and reread those books till there was almost nothing left.

The first comic books I put in a bag and board was DC's Arak #1 and DC's All Star Squadron from the 80's. I still have those two books.

Over the years I purchased books weekly at my LCS and have sold off large chunks of my collection. This past June I sold 12 long boxes of books. That sale reinvigorated my interest in back issues and I rebought some favorite Bronze and Silver books, far too many DC Archives and a few pieces of original art.

Sadly that money is all gone so I'm back on a budget. frown.gif

UbieX

Amazingly, I couldn't answer this question myself as I can always remember reading comics. So I asked my mom and she rolled her eye's and said I came out of her war-gyna clutching a Daredevil comic with Spiderman on the cover (#16 or #17?). insane.gif

Amazingly, I couldn't answer this question myself as I can always remember reading comics. So I asked my mom and she rolled her eye's and said I came out of her war-gyna clutching a Daredevil comic with Spiderman on the cover (#16 or #17?). insane.gif

27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893whatthe.gif

Almost 40 years now.The first comic that I specifically remember asking for was Turok,Son Of Stone.Within a year,my Aunt Elsie split up a trunkful(Chevrolet Malibu convertible) of early to mid 60's comics between me,my sister,and 2 cousins.I still remember seeing FF 47 for the first time in my grandma's living room.Aunt Elsie was pretty cool.She was a high school P.E. teacher ,and probably not more than 22 at the time.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

40 years ago this month! FF 54 off the stands. ASM 41 off the stands.

First backissue purchase...in the school lunchroom....ASM 16. I still have it.

Red

40 years ago this month! FF 54 off the stands. ASM 41 off the stands.

First backissue purchase...in the school lunchroom....ASM 16. I still have it.

Red

Now that is "amazing".I miss those days.My first FF off the stands was 75 and my first ASM was # 58.Avengers was # 56.Thor was #155.Sub-mariner # 8.Hulk # 109.DD # 48.Iron Man # 8.My Mom made me put back Strange Tales # 168(she said it made her nervous 27_laughing.gif).It's funny how we might forget our first comics,yet we remember the first ones we got with our own money(yard work for me).GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s. FF 54 is one COOL book.

I made my comic book money waxing my uncles car. I think I got $3 to $4 for a job that took me a couple hours at least.

Red

PS one of my great moments was when I got Joe Sinnott to autograph my copy (not the original) of FF 54. WOW!

I made my comic book money waxing my uncles car. I think I got $3 to $4 for a job that took me a couple hours at least.

893whatthe.gif That was a lot of money for 2 hours work in those days! After all, an apple only went for 5 cents! poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

Started reading Harveys and Archies then DCs in the early sixties, but typical for the times none of these books survived friends and parents. Became serious about collecting when in high school in 1971, just after the cover price went to 20 cents. By 1973, I was buying back issues mostly through The Buyer's Guide, the E-Bay of its day for books. Nobody knew from condition back then, so the purchases were for reading and completing runs - today, I give most of these readers to my son, who knows Lee, Kirby, Ditko and Steranko really well but next to nothing about current creators.

Gave it up during graduate school (too busy trying to become a professional juggle.gif), then took it up again first in 1981 and seriously for high grade back issues in 1993 (Biotech IPO money cool.gif). My OO books stretch from 1971-'76 and '81-'85, and those that didn't suffer edge damage during two coast-to-coast moves without the benefit of backing boards are in great shape.

While in college, I stumbled across a Tyson’s comic show in 1982/1983. I was a coin collector at the time so I never really dabbled in comics. I was surprised that so many attendees were in their 20s and 30s since I assumed comic shows were for a younger generation. While looking over the material, I saw some number one books that I never saw in my life. On a lark, I purchased a low grade JLA #1 for $25 and a Hulk #1 for $800, I collected from 1982/83-1991 and then stopped for a variety of reasons. Started up again around 1999.

I've been reading / collecting comic books since 1993 when I was just a kid. The collecting part of it became much more serious when I entered my teens (around 1995 on up). For a 5 year period (2000 - 2005) I briefly quite collecting comic books because of new hobbies, such as action figures and diecast toys, but since late 2005 I've been collecting and reading comic books again.

I feel complete again! acclaim.gif

My first time starting to collect was 1977 with Vamperilla magazines. Now mind you I was about 5 at the time but my aunt used to come to town and bring me her son's ( my cousin's) stash of Vamperillas and a bottle of "Strawberry Angel " wine for the two of us to read and sip. I loved those early days and man.. did I have a crush on Vamperilla bad.. still have a thing for brunettes more, but as I get older I'm not to picky!!

I started collecting when I was about 7. Truth be told, my mom had just come back from shopping at Pic N Save and brought me 2 bags of comics, each containing 5 modern marvel books at the time. This was 1984. It contained Amazing Spider-man 263, Web of Spider-man 1, Thing 22, and some other odd forgetable issues. So there it began...The following year, I starting buying back issues of the first Secret Wars series.