• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would You Include That Comic Could Be Pressed for Better Grade on Ebay Description??
1 1

36 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2022 at 7:22 PM, Gaard said:

+1

I don't understand how people would let anybody else pack up their books.

I understand now. I used to use the LCS. I too thought it was fun, but didnt know the pitfalls, and I'm glad I got my own account before that learning curve ever hit.

So I AM speaking from some experience, as limited as it may appear lol

On 3/27/2022 at 4:58 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well then if you're even the slightest thinking after grading, then list the defects, I was confused by your original statement.

I'd say you have a chance to have cgc press and regrade since they're your books but.....

You did it through the LCS, so they'll have to take care of it, which they may not be able to convince cgc.

I know it sounds challenging but subbing under your own account is always the best idea. If possible 

No there is ZERO chance it happened after grading.

I think the question for OP is whether the grades are fair and reflective of the books as is, or are you saying (which is how I read it) that the books in your opinion are effectively overgraded as they have damage that wasn't there when you submitted them? It reads to me like you're worried someone will buy, receive book in "X" grade, then look at it through the slab and disagree with the labeled grade. Am I following?

On 3/27/2022 at 5:30 PM, Readcomix said:

I think the question for OP is whether the grades are fair and reflective of the books as is, or are you saying (which is how I read it) that the books in your opinion are effectively overgraded as they have damage that wasn't there when you submitted them? It reads to me like you're worried someone will buy, receive book in "X" grade, then look at it through the slab and disagree with the labeled grade. Am I following?

No.  The grades are reflective of the condition they're in.  But they all have terrible grades because of the defect created before they reached the grading room.  I just want people to know that the grade can be improved.  However, I have updated my listings to simply say that they are unpressed.  BTW, they all should've been 9.6's and 9.8's; instead I have garbage: 8.5's, 9.0, 9.2's, 9.4's etc. 

On 3/27/2022 at 5:24 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I understand now. I used to use the LCS. I too thought it was fun, but didnt know the pitfalls, and I'm glad I got my own account before that learning curve ever hit.

So I AM speaking from some experience, as limited as it may appear lol

Yeah I learned that lesson a little two late as my last TWO shipments have been damaged in shipping.  CGC did repress and regrade the first batch but now they say they're not going to do it.  I feel it may be the LCS owner's fault, but again, what could I possibly prove?  This has already played out over the last 3 months until now where I'm at the point where I just have to sell what I got or spend more money to get them repressed and regraded.  

On 3/27/2022 at 8:55 PM, Tafkap said:

No.  The grades are reflective of the condition they're in.  But they all have terrible grades because of the defect created before they reached the grading room.  I just want people to know that the grade can be improved.  However, I have updated my listings to simply say that they are unpressed.  BTW, they all should've been 9.6's and 9.8's; instead I have garbage: 8.5's, 9.0, 9.2's, 9.4's etc. 

Thank you; now I follow. I agree just saying they are unpressed is the key. On ebay, I'd worry more about someone later twisting your words and suggesting you are claiming something you did not. On here, I would and do call out pressable defects if I missed them upon submitting or bought the slab as is and either way do not wish to take the time and money to resubmit. I don't guarantee grand improvement; I just point out if something visible might possibly be of the sort a good presser can make less visible.

On 3/27/2022 at 8:55 PM, Tafkap said:
On 3/27/2022 at 8:30 PM, Readcomix said:

I will backtrack on my first comment. I also was a bit confused and thought you were saying they were over graded in their current condition. I would still make sure the defects are clearly visible in the pictures just to avoid any headaches down the road. 

On 3/27/2022 at 5:18 PM, CGC Mike said:

So, without pictures, it would be hard to say when the damage happened.  If the grades match the defects, it sounds like the damage occurred prior to grading, and most likely during the shipping process to CGC.

The reason I believe it happened during shipping is, the OP is saying all of the damage on the books is all on the same corner.  

The grades certainly do match the defects.   Yes, this is my 2nd batch to come back with new defects in the corner.  It seems pretty hard to believe.  It really doesn't even seem conceivable considering they were sent out 3 months apart.  I think, conservatively, I lost between $10,000 and $15,000 because of the negligence.  

On 3/27/2022 at 1:31 PM, Tafkap said:

Now, do I include information about the defect and mention how they could press them out and 99% chance get a better grade?

Or could it be simply opening a can of worms with little to no upside?

I would absolutely list "Possibly pressable defect" and then describe what and where. I would not say anything about chance at better grade. 

On 3/27/2022 at 10:06 PM, littledoom said:

A lot of sellers write "could be benefited from a press" "higher grade with a press"

And unfortunately, a ton of those sellers haven’t a clue.  If you’re going to say that a book would benefit from a press, show the defect that you’re referring to.  Otherwise it’s just hucksterism....

On 3/28/2022 at 11:18 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

And unfortunately, a ton of those sellers haven’t a clue.  If you’re going to say that a book would benefit from a press, show the defect that you’re referring to.  Otherwise it’s just hucksterism....

I agree it could be, that is why I mentioned just saying, "hasn't been pressed". idk I mean if it hasn't then the defects would speak for themselves? if pics were provided?

On 3/27/2022 at 8:58 PM, Tafkap said:

Yeah I learned that lesson a little two late as my last TWO shipments have been damaged in shipping.  CGC did repress and regrade the first batch but now they say they're not going to do it.  I feel it may be the LCS owner's fault, but again, what could I possibly prove?  This has already played out over the last 3 months until now where I'm at the point where I just have to sell what I got or spend more money to get them repressed and regraded.  

As many have said already, always pack and ship yourself. I drop my books off but if I were shipping it would be double boxed with tons of room for packing materials. 

I watch the different vendors pack up books at shows, and it makes me cringe. 

On 3/27/2022 at 5:06 PM, Tafkap said:

I entrusted them to my LCS owner who did not take pictures.  He says it's CGC's fault.  CGC says it's the LCS owner's fault for not packing properly.  

The books were graded after the incident so the grade reflects the damage done by it. I'm not sure what it is you want. If you want to say the book is overgraded in your ad, go ahead. Letting buyers know they are buying a 9.8 slab that with another $100 invested will be a 9.8 slab, is an unusual marketing technique but give it a shot.