• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TALES TO ASTONISH #48 1st Porcupine
4 4

14 posts in this topic

This book has a back story. Bought it off a dealer ages ago that claimed he was an Overstreet Advisor. Had the book listed with a F.C. scan only. Had it as a 6.5. LOL.Book has center fold crease and heavy wrinkling on the back cover. Called him out on the grade and he went ballistic. LOL. Heated exchange followed.

Anyway here it is. Center fold is well attached. Book is complete but heavy center crease and wrinkling on the back cover.

TTA #48 F.C. 001 (2).jpg

TTA #48 B.C. 001 (2).jpg

TTA #48 ic.jpg

TTA #48 C.F..jpg

TTA #48 B.C. 2.jpg

On 3/28/2022 at 8:49 AM, Pontoon said:

Years ago, a book length sub crease would not get better than a 4.0. Somewhere along the line they seem to have shifted that up to a 5.0, so I could see ta 5.0, especially with a press. It presents very nicely.

I agree a press will bring this book up significantly. This however "as is" I don't think I could go better than 3.5/4.0?

On 3/28/2022 at 1:10 PM, MrRoboto said:

4.5. 6.5 is a blatant scam.

LOL. and he went ballistic when I called him out on it. Said he was an advisor to Overstreet and had tons of grading experience. I told him some of the other books he had for sale looked like someone blew their nose on the back covers.

I'm guessing the "Advisor" did a quick grade with the book in a bag and never saw the back cover.  Maybe it's easier to make good on hidden defects when you get a complaint.   The Overstreet Advisor badge used to have a lot more pull than it dies now.

Yeah it’s one of those things where you have an attractive book and you’re looking through rose colored glasses (Sorry old phrase) didn’t want to face it you called him out on it ..prob why he got mad. Max out at 5.0 

(caveat ... I'm unclear whether the sub crease, if it is an actual "sub" crease, is also present on the front cover? It's obvious on the back, but I'm not seeing it on the front)

It's a 4.0 as is. But, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that a skilled press job could lift this as high as a 6.0. The creases on the back are gnarly, but they look really pressable to me. Nice :)