• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Killraven Appreciation in Amazing Adventures 18 to 39
3 3

18 posts in this topic

In hindsight, it's kind of weird I never started buying this series.  I was (well, am) a big sci-fi fan and this should have been right at the top of my list at the time.  When I move back to Bronze purchasing, I'll have to look into it.

On 4/2/2022 at 6:19 AM, MattTheDuck said:

In hindsight, it's kind of weird I never started buying this series.  I was (well, am) a big sci-fi fan and this should have been right at the top of my list at the time.  When I move back to Bronze purchasing, I'll have to look into it.

Good plan. They are still very affordable. Example, a copy of 34 in 6.0 is still just $3.20 on mycomicshop, so definitely pocket change for some gorgeous art and storytelling. 

On 4/1/2022 at 10:45 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

I think #27 is the only one I don't have and that cover is fantastic! Ugh.

last one for me as well-then I found out it was a Starlin cover to boot. :) 

I remember buying this series with issue #27.  Thought that Starlin cover was just great as well as the interior art.  I might have passed it up if my first exposure was the S&M outfit cover with issue #18. WTH was up with that?  

Other than Astonishing Tales Deathlok appearances, Killraven in Amazing Adventures was the comic book that had the most impact on me when I was a kid in Izmir, Turkey in the early to mid-70s.  I distinctly remember the two page splash in AA #25 with Buckler/Janson art with Skar's introduction and then later the crazy stuff that P. Craig Russell put out starting with issue #27 (behind that amazing Starlin cover).  Here's a few of my favorites.  Paul~

Amazing Adventures #25 (CGC 9.8) White.JPG

Amazing Adventures #27 (CGC 9.8) White.JPG

Amazing Adventures #39 (CGC 9.8) White.JPG

Wow, that's a nice trio of HG copies. Although AA39 wasn't intended to be the end of the series, the story was an ending of sorts and one of the most poignant too. (I liked Old Skull's "Th,that's all folks!" sign off. 

Don and Craig got to provide a more complete ending in Marvel Graphic Novel 7 from 1983, and although not perfect, it did give them a chance to tie up some loose ends. I re-read it today and it's a bitter sweet tale. 

143874493_KillravenGN1983.jpg.9564269b53e287c2873caa096b895e7a.jpg

1231881603_FinalPageAA39.jpg.b14c4c8f0a657076fa3a854d631de435.jpg

Final page of AA39 from Nov 1976: Craig Russell gives us a glimpse of that instantly recognisable style. 

It was just lucky this was how the comic book series ended, since there were several deadline hiccups along the way: Death in the family was billed to follow #32 but #33 was a Herb Trimpe fill in issue. Then, Mourning Prey was meant to follow 37 but #38 was another fill in (a great one too, with Keith Giffen/Al Milgrom,) and so we finally came to Mourning Prey in #39.  

On 4/4/2022 at 6:29 PM, Nightmare Fuel said:

Ach, nothing worse than a Herb Trimpe fill in issue :sick:

I know, but it gave PCR the time to skip ahead to the superlative #34, so he's forgiven. (Herb Trimpe has done some excellent Hulk artwork, especially around the 120s. Given something military, or planes to draw and HT's the man!)

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 6/16/2022 at 7:14 PM, picon3 said:

A recent upgrade (1 of 2 on the census).  Posting this without looking at the unfortunate picture of Sean Connery...:whatthe: Paul~

Amazing Adventures #28 (CGC 9.8) White.jpg

:peace: