• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tomb of Dracula 10 possible trimming error effect on grade question

19 posts in this topic

Hello!  I have these two copies of Tomb of Dracula 10 I wanted to submit, but the one on the left in the the first photo has this extra piece of the cover dangling off of it.  You can see that compared to the other copy, that the covers are the same width and in the final photo that the "extra" piece is part of the cover.  Would that hurt the grade or come across as restored?

Thanks!

PXL_20220402_015700453.jpg

PXL_20220402_015707505.jpg

PXL_20220402_021238294.jpg

PXL_20220402_021751211.jpg

It won't get a restored label as clearly this is a miscut during manufacturing. What CGC do with this I don't know. It would look neater folded in. There is a tiny tear next to it that does affect the grade slightly but this flap is in the realm of bindery issues and won't as such kill the grade. Chances are other issues around the book will determine the grade (looks like maybe a VG/FN 5.0) and this is just one small aspect. Neat! And you have two copies you lucky chap!

On 4/5/2022 at 4:46 PM, seanfingh said:

I would not necessarily do that. They (CGC) might find it, and they might give it a purple label for trimming.  Juice doesn't seem worth the squeeze, when its possibly a PLOD.

Apologies, I was mostly joking.  I don't think that separating siamese pages, trimming over folds, etc. should be considered restoration, but CGC obviously does.  So you're correct, if you're going to send in a book for certification, then yes, leave it as is.

On 4/5/2022 at 6:00 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Apologies, I was mostly joking.  I don't think that separating siamese pages, trimming over folds, etc. should be considered restoration, but CGC obviously does.  So you're correct, if you're going to send in a book for certification, then yes, leave it as is.

Sorry - my sarcasm meter was on the fritz!

On 4/6/2022 at 10:15 AM, seanfingh said:
On 4/5/2022 at 6:00 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Sorry - my sarcasm meter was on the fritz!

FWIW, i thought it was a serious response as well. There is SO much inane advice floating around these days ("I only use backing boards coated on both sides when I press books!") that it can be hard to tell.

I have a similar situation, but a bit more severe. One page had the maverick cut that neatly folds over, but the tear above it (which looks like it was caused by the cut) seems to have also happened to the two pages before it. Maybe the blade caused the tears without leaving a flap on two of them (shrug)

f4AoKl5m.jpg    ejl1sD9m.jpg   JwbOYWMm.jpg

Unfortunately, I was told (by Steve Ricketts) that the tears would still go against the grade. Perhaps because it can't be 100% determined they were related to the flap (shrug), I don't know what CGC would do, so I hope you'll keep us updated. I assume they'd say the same. 

On 4/6/2022 at 2:10 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Serious Response:  I submitted something similar and CGC simply folded it in for me.  Blue label. 

Did they make a comment in the notes or on the label? Just curious...  hm

On 4/8/2022 at 3:51 PM, The Lions Den said:

The book was a square bound double cover I used in a grading contest. There was no mention on the label. Unsure about the grader notes.

On 4/8/2022 at 3:51 PM, The Lions Den said:

My memory was a little muddy about the specific book.  It wasn't a double cover but it was a square bound. 

2017-12-13-0060.thumb.jpg.a77fd5e13cd849074ad3c612f06a2905.jpg

2018-03-08-0008.thumb.jpg.b835e510c59e6950e9d28b1600f8e8c6.jpg