• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this need to be re-slabbed or re-graded

20 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I got a new book in today, but it was packed poorly. Literally two grocery bags and some brown paper.  The slab is shattered in the upper left corner but the book looks intact. Would this qualify for getting it re-slabbed, or does it need to be completely regraded?

Thank you, Wayne

277702754_701419737717214_6474552659210599925_n.jpg

277685991_1036026833786864_3062101469907664957_n.jpg

277819460_1320457015140692_4727869760780325180_n.jpg

277709117_934145517249622_7686290949901454665_n.jpg

277780330_759636725019937_6321886036080561073_n.jpg

I'd vote for returned. but check with cgc

Edited by revat

I would also ask for clarification, did this come from CGC or did you purchase this already slabbed book from another party that shipped it to you as pictured?

reason I ask is, I have never seen CGC ship a book in a gemini mailer and a plastic bag as pictured so I am going to assume this did not come directly from CGC

if that is the case, you would have to pay for shipping back and forth to them, the cost of a reholder, and the book would possibly and likely have to be regraded

or you could reach out to who you purchased it from and request a refund due to damage during shipping

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

I'm not returning it. Finding a Green Lantern #48 with the DC Universe logo is a little pricey and I got a good deal on this. So while it might be a pain, I'm not going on the hunt for something more expensive when I have it in hand.

On 4/4/2022 at 5:32 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

I would also ask for clarification, did this come from CGC or did you purchase this already slabbed book from another party that shipped it to you as pictured?

reason I ask is, I have never seen CGC ship a book in a gemini mailer and a plastic bag as pictured so I am going to assume this did not come directly from CGC

if that is the case, you would have to pay for shipping back and forth to them, the cost of a reholder, and the book would possibly and likely have to be regraded

or you could reach out to who you purchased it from and request a refund due to damage during shipping

I won this book off of eBay.

GCG isn't at fault here. I'm just trying to figure out which service I would need.

And I'm working with the seller on a refund.

On 4/4/2022 at 4:45 PM, New Plan Comics said:

I'm not returning it. Finding a Green Lantern #48 with the DC Universe logo is a little pricey and I got a good deal on this. So while it might be a pain, I'm not going on the hunt for something more expensive when I have it in hand.

fair enough, don't know the rarity but re-slabbing with shipping back and forth is going to be costly as well

if it were me I would at least request a partial refund from the seller for poor packaging

I've also had this happen recently. I just messaged the seller about the cracked holder, and asked if he would please be willing to refund me the $60.00 it would cost me to have the book shipped back and forth and reholdered by CGC. The seller had no problem with doing this, and refunded me the $60.00 right away. The comic pictured will most likely not have to be re-graded because it doesn't appear that the comic inside was damaged in any way. CGC will not re-grade a comic if it has not been affected by the cracked slab. All you need to do is reholder it, and it will come back in a new case with the same grade and page quality notated on it.

Edited by AwesomeSauce

On 4/4/2022 at 6:41 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

I've also had this happen recently. I just messaged the seller about the cracked holder, and asked if he would please be willing to refund me the $60.00 it would cost me to have the book shipped back and forth and reholdered by CGC. The seller had no problem with doing this, and refunded me the $60.00 right away. The comic pictured will most likely not have to be re-graded because it doesn't appear that the comic inside was damaged in any way. CGC will not re-grade a comic if it has not been affected by the cracked slab. All you need to do is reholder it, and it will come back in a new case with the same grade and page quality notated on it.

I've been in contact with the seller and he has refunded the shipping and part of the cost. He was cool with it.

On 4/4/2022 at 5:41 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

there are certainly more factors than that 

not saying it is the case in this instance, but what if this book was actually graded 5 years ago and had fading on part of the book from sun exposure

would CGC just re-holder and slap a 9.2 back on it if it wasn't warranted just because the slab had a crack?

On 4/4/2022 at 3:58 PM, New Plan Comics said:

I've been in contact with the seller and he has refunded the shipping and part of the cost. He was cool with it.

All's well that ends well.  (thumbsu

Edited by zzutak

On 4/4/2022 at 8:57 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

not saying it is the case in this instance, but what if this book was actually graded 5 years ago and had fading on part of the book from sun exposure

would CGC just re-holder and slap a 9.2 back on it if it wasn't warranted just because the slab had a crack?

That's actually a very good question. I wonder . . .

Coincidentally, I submitted a slab for reholder service in early March that just got put into the system a few moments ago. I had gotten a slab from eBay that got damaged (similar to yours with a broken piece off the edge). Buyer gave me a partial refund for reholdering. Meanwhile, there was a bit of confusion, so had a delay on CGC putting it into the system. But it's in there now with a status of "Scheduled for Grading" which I assume is the default when it goes into their tracking system....

On 4/4/2022 at 8:57 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

Whenever a book is returned for a reholder, a qualified person (generally a grader) should do a thorough inspection to determine the extent of the damage. There are times when a book will no longer be the grade it once was and, in those situations, a new grade and label will be created...   

On 4/4/2022 at 6:41 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

:cheers:

On 4/4/2022 at 5:00 PM, New Plan Comics said:

I got a new book in today, but it was packed poorly. Literally two grocery bags and some brown paper.  The slab is shattered in the upper left corner but the book looks intact. Would this qualify for getting it re-slabbed, or does it need to be completely regraded?

There are times when damage occurs to the book due to broken pieces of the holder actually penetrating the inner well, or when the book is subjected to shaken comic syndrome. Hopefully your book is still in the same condition, but ultimately CGC will make that decision if you send it back for a new holder. Good luck...  :wishluck: