• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirby fans opinion on Mister Miracle.
3 3

43 posts in this topic

I enjoy the Fourth World books more every time I re-read them. I usually think of them as an entire body of work, but I admit that I like New Gods most. Mister Miracle is probably second. They're all certainly worthy additions to a Kirby Kollection. I'll stop short of joining Foggy's vote, tho. I consider his Silver Age work on FF and Thor to be his greatest height.

I bought them off the stands as a kid. Read a few and lost interest. Haven’t read them since.

Same with Thor. Was my least favorite Marvel at the dawn of the SA. Maybe it was all that mythology stuff which I couldn’t relate to.

I will agree that Kirby’s work morphed and refined a lot into the SA. Never even close to my favorite comic artist but one that is so iconic in the world of comics. And was one heck of a nice guy to his fans. 

On 4/6/2022 at 3:49 PM, ThothAmon said:

5FD8F365-5B5B-47C9-A649-AA86D54E0871.jpeg

The first original, imported, American Kirby comic I ever owned.

Fond memories.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/6/2022 at 3:41 PM, davidtere said:

The OP asked:  Is Mister Miracle worth a Kirby collectors notice? My answer would be yes although, I agree with @KirbyJack on  both his 4th World preferences in  that order (New Gods, Mister Miracle). Quite frankly Mister Miracle could be a future show or movie someday (if that's your jam).  Having full runs of all the fourth world stuff is cool and honestly still affordable on many levels. Twomorrows Publishings recent book, Old Gods and New provides incredible detail on what was going on with the series, Kirby and DC when it was being published. It is a must read for every Kirby-phile that really wants to delve into possibly Kirby's greatest 70's creation. 

That being said, there is not much Kirby that I don't like, although I have my preferences, so I may have a strong bias. My avatar may be an indication of that. Below is a recreation of Big Barda I had Mike Royer do for me in the early 2000's. 

6262B798-389C-41CC-8F30-AA2CA104E1E3.jpeg

Yeah this thread brought up an excellent point for me.  I own zero New Gods and they are definitely in my collecting range and there's only a handful.  I think barring that big Golden Age Captain America Comics buy getting in the way, I think collecting the Kirby New Gods might be fun in '22.  Glad I asked the question!

Edited by Laszlo the Mudjar