• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Has Happened to this Hobby?
5 5

90 posts in this topic

heres a dopey question- as most graded comics are now coming down to earth somewhat after last year's insane runups, though still at higher prices than they were in 2020 or 2021, is this not happening with OA? are the HA and CL auctions of more popular OA still setting records? as there is no GPA for this, and i don't track results much, i have no idea. 

On 4/8/2022 at 2:45 PM, Timely said:

Do you want 1 Michael Jordan or 20 Joe Blows? Quality over quantity! All day, every day!

I’ll generally take the quantity, within limits, over the quality, since my definition of quality probably differs from yours. I like to really look at the differences in styles, so what some may consider a mediocre piece (I do have tolerance limits) can be great if it is different and interesting in some way. I wouldn’t take 20 Joe Blows either, but I would take a few Joe Blows, a few Bill Blows, a Jane Blows, and some cartoony sketch. Absolutely. One of the things I intend to get is a commission of a happy Phantom Stranger eating a slice of pizza. Why? It’s silly fun, and that matters to me a lot.

On 4/8/2022 at 11:20 PM, fsumavila said:

It's impossible to separate "Jim the collector" from "Jim the shareholder."

having one of the guys who runs the leading comic art auction house bidding on items that very auction house sells is a HUGE conflict of interest.

I get the perceived conflict, but ask yourself - would you want someone who ISN’T a collector and who doesn’t understand every nuance of how we tick in his position?   Would you want someone who doesn’t know who ditko and Kirby are running an outfit like that?    

I think people just like to complain.   If he wasn’t a collector people would be pining for someone that understands them.    And since he is a collector people complain about conflict.     Either way, people complain.   2c 

On 4/8/2022 at 11:48 PM, Bronty said:

I get the perceived conflict, but ask yourself - would you want someone who ISN’T a collector and who doesn’t understand every nuance of how we tick in his position?   Would you want someone who doesn’t know who ditko and Kirby are running an outfit like that?    

I think people just like to complain.   If he wasn’t a collector people would be pining for someone that understands them.    And since he is a collector people complain about conflict.     Either way, people complain.   2c 

Sure, it's great to have someone who knows the material running heritage. But iask

yourself this: if you're competing against that guy at auction for art, can you be 100% certain you're on a level playing field?

I have a feeling very few people are competing with Jim based on the type of art he purchased. Moreover, we see a lot of art come to auction whereas a collector in Jim’s position could feasibly just buy a lot of it himself rather than compete at auction. I sort of like that Jim is in the trenches competing against other collectors personally. 

Edited by Xatari

On 4/8/2022 at 7:08 PM, Xatari said:

The articles are insinuating Heritage is setting the market by buying inventory from video games.  My point is Jim the collector, not Heritage shareholder, is buying art for himself.  Those are different things.

How do you know the actual chain of title, and when all information is not publicly available?

On 4/9/2022 at 12:18 AM, Rick2you2 said:

How do you know the actual chain of title, and when all information is not publicly available?

I think there are enough of us that consign on a regular basis. Forgive me, but I’m not sure exactly what you’re suggesting by your question. 

On 4/9/2022 at 3:25 AM, Xatari said:

I think there are enough of us that consign on a regular basis. Forgive me, but I’m not sure exactly what you’re suggesting by your question. 

Simply that we don’t know what Jim owns or Heritage owns, and if the ownership changes after the sale. I wasn’t referring to anyone else. If he is making a lot through Heritage, like the company making over 21% on each sale, and he is helping set the market by doing so, his personal collection is a virtual bonus. Or stock option, since he gets to sell when he wants.

By the way, after watching most of that first video posted by Phil the Governor…and considering the likely parallels to OA collecting, I would be very nervous about investing real money in it for the long term. Excellent piece of reporting.

Edited by Rick2you2

On 4/9/2022 at 6:29 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I thought Jim shared a link to his OA collection.  I remember seeing it around 5 years ago

He does. He has exponentially more art at home, but he is very transparent about it. 

I personally felt like the aforementioned articles were a bit exaggerated, and it certainly hasn’t stopped any of the industries indicated. I have no qualms about spending more money on OA. 

@Rick2you2definitely don’t spend money if you don’t feel comfortable yourself. Less competition for me. :baiting:

On 4/9/2022 at 10:04 AM, Xatari said:

He does. He has exponentially more art at home, but he is very transparent about it. 

I personally felt like the aforementioned articles were a bit exaggerated, and it certainly hasn’t stopped any of the industries indicated. I have no qualms about spending more money on OA. 

@Rick2you2definitely don’t spend money if you don’t feel comfortable yourself. Less competition for me. :baiting:

I wouldn’t worry about that, unless you have a particular character-driven interest.

That video game Youtube video is crazy. I agree that this market manipulation is wrong and I'm sure its not a coincidence that pages are starting to do the same thing with the same guy/company in the center of all of these other drastic price jump events. That Secret Wars page that broke records a few months ago is no different than what happened with Super Mario Bros - both generated headlines for a product sold by Heritage.

Edited by kbmcvay

I have no problem with Jim bidding on HA lots assuming he gets no insider info (ie, Live proxy bids, phone bids placed in advance of Live session).  That said, I can't help picturing Jim's OA bankroll growing  getting some share of HA's ~20% take on each and every lot sold.  Yes, he 100% deserves it and I'd argue Jim's passion for OA only strengthens our hobby.