• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Robin II CGC graded "Newsstand" issues??
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I came across a couple of sold eBay listings and this one for sale of "RARE" newsstand copies of Robin II comics for around $150.  It does say "$1.00 Newsstand Edition" on the CGC label, but there is no UPC code on the comic itself.  I thought maybe it was an error book but from what I can find online both the newsstand and direct copies are $1.00 cover price.  I see a few other raw listings as well saying the copies with the picture in the box where the UPC code goes are newsstands as well so I am very confused.  Am I missing something? 

I know usually CGC doesn't distinguish a book as newsstand unless if it is an odd situation like a rare price difference, but as I mentioned I am just not seeing that in the images I can find online.  Thanks in advance.

robin II CGC newsstand.png

Maybe no UPC on this newsstand edition because it was part of a multipack sold on newsstands?  There were polybagged issues sold that had all the variants in it, if I recall correctly.  That's the only excuse I can come up with, but then I don't know how you would distinguish an newsstand "no-UPC" from a direct "no-UPC."  

On 4/12/2022 at 4:23 PM, djzombi said:

Maybe no UPC on this newsstand edition because it was part of a multipack sold on newsstands?  There were polybagged issues sold that had all the variants in it, if I recall correctly.  That's the only excuse I can come up with, but then I don't know how you would distinguish an newsstand "no-UPC" from a direct "no-UPC."  

Ad response numbers might be different.

They had multiple covers for Robin II: The Joker's Wild #2. 3 Direct Edition Hologram covers and regular Direct Edition cover. The one with the white box and Batman (Newsstand), and one with the white box and barcode. I probably have 2-3 long boxes of just Robin limited series. Some retailers seriously overordered these in the 90's.

image.png image.png
image.png

Edited by sckao