• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Church/MH Superman 1 record sale in January
7 7

406 posts in this topic

Well with all the discussion in the Cap 1 thread, I think this update cements who’s top dog and will always be lol. Just wow! The first book to sell for over 5 mil, atleast publicly known.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 4/13/2022 at 6:37 AM, Northwest said:

"The Edgar Church/Mile High copy of Superman #1, graded 8.0 Universal by Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®), privately traded hands in January 2022 for $5.3 million"

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10085/cgc-graded-superman-1-sells-for-over-5-million-dollars/

CGC1072525-001_OBV_lg20220412105101022.j

Congrats on the purchase! :devil:

On 4/13/2022 at 8:17 AM, jimjum12 said:

The Church AC1 is 20M by itself. GOD BLESS...

That is a big premium that is all speculation until someone writes the check.  The pool of buyers is getting very small at that level.  Too much of a hot potato for someone to buy for any reason other than love.

Interesting that CGC's article says this copy is tied with one other 8.0, but according to the census, one of the 8.0s was replaced by an 8.5 within the last few months (between 12/18/21 and 2/8/22 to be specific). I wonder how much the 8.5 copy would go for, or if the Church premium would still have the two books neck and neck (assuming the Church isn't now the 8.5). 

On 4/13/2022 at 8:25 AM, sfcityduck said:

That is a big premium that is all speculation until someone writes the check.  The pool of buyers is getting very small at that level.  Too much of a hot potato for someone to buy for any reason other than love.

I don't know Mr. Duck. Feels like money and less love that's driving prices now a days. But I agree, not sure 20 mil would be the mark for the Church Action 1. I definitely see a world where someone spends over 10 though, not even a question. Have to wonder how much that pool of buyers has grown the last couple years also. I doubt it's comic book lovers spending all these millions. Maybe just super wealthy investors or even corporations looking to get in, but who knows. It's not like anyone buying all these books are showing it off publicly anywhere. I have a hard time believing the same pool of buyers 5 years ago that might barely break a mil or not quite get there on these mega grails are the ones still buying them at over 2-3 mil every time. Just seems like the pool has gotten bigger.

On 4/13/2022 at 8:32 AM, G.A.tor said:

The 8.5 is the church copy now 

That's soo weird though. Promoting the sale as an 8.0, but now it's an 8.5. Seems gratuitous to me. Like the new owner is trying to prop it up artificially to resell as an 8.5, but now flip it for 7 mil+ maybe. I mean why not just promote it for what it is currently, an 8.5? Or maybe it doesn't matter lol.

On 4/13/2022 at 11:55 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

That's soo weird though. Promoting the sale as an 8.0, but now it's an 8.5. Seems gratuitous to me. Like the new owner is trying to prop it up artificially to resell as an 8.5, but now flip it for 7 mil+ maybe. I mean why not just promote it for what it is currently, an 8.5? Or maybe it doesn't matter lol.

When it sold it was a cgc 8.0

simple answer. 

On 4/13/2022 at 9:02 AM, G.A.tor said:

When it sold it was a cgc 8.0

simple answer. 

Know I totally get it and makes sense. I guess it's not a weird thing to do, despite not being an 8.0 anymore. I just assumed the other 8.0 was the one that bumped until you said it was the church copy.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:15 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Know I totally get it and makes sense. I guess it's not a weird thing to do, despite not being an 8.0 anymore. I just assumed the other 8.0 was the one that bumped until you said it was the church copy.

A little sleuthing. An 8.0 was removed from census. The church 8.0 serial no longer there, so had to be the church that upgraded to 8.5. Anyone could figure that out :)