• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Palos Verdes Collection on HA
2 2

49 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2022 at 12:50 AM, Robot Man said:

The only Promise book I have seen resell is a Detective #82 CGC 5.0 for $910. On eBay. I don’t know what it sold for on HA. 

A Promise book (Kid Colt Outlaw #4) that was purchased last September resold in the most recent Signature Auction. 

The owner did not fare well.

On 4/19/2022 at 11:30 AM, Robot Man said:

Even 4 grand for a Kid Colt Outlaw #4 in 9.6 seems just cray cray…(shrug)

I think that the original buyer did the prudent thing by cutting his losses while there was still quite a bit of hype around the Promise Collection. I won't be surprised if that book sells for a grand two or three years down the road.

Could also be that they bought a few dozen Promise books, got them in, kept the ones they liked best, and sent the rest off to find new homes.

I have customers who do that with graded Pokémon cards. They’ll bid on dozens of them. Pay for whichever ones they happen to win. Then get them in and decide which ones stay for life and which go away.

Lose money on the flip of a few to have a chance to cherry pick from lots of options.

On 4/18/2022 at 2:08 PM, Robot Man said:

Thanks. So only about a $100. Loss. Oh wait with fees, commission and taxes maybe a little over double that. Seller should probably consider himself lucky.

Not sure on the current value of that one in that shape but the “Promise juice” probably pumped it up quite a bit.

Anybody see any more Promise books sell in the marketplace yet? 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/ryan999/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

This seller has 3 Police Comics from Promise collection (and nope, its not me...?).  I have not compared HA sales to asking, but am watching them on feebay.

On 4/19/2022 at 11:30 PM, Robot Man said:

I'm too jaded by the constant barrage of ever-higher prices to have any feelings about any price anymore.

On 4/20/2022 at 5:02 AM, tth2 said:
On 4/19/2022 at 4:30 PM, Robot Man said:

I'm too jaded by the constant barrage of ever-higher prices to have any feelings about any price anymore.

Oh, you've got reserves of jadedness left. The price on that Promise KCO #4 is bonkers, and I quite like Atlas / Marvel westerns, although the point of them for me is that they're generally cheap. 

It's far too niche a book that has no appeal for anyone who doesn't like Atlas / Marvel westerns and isn't predisposed to spending bags of cash on them. It's crazy, but then that's the market now - books that were never considered investibles (and likely never will be) are now going for money. We all want our collections to appreciate, so be careful what you wish for!