• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 1
28 28

482 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2022 at 10:39 PM, TheGeneral said:

I got crushed on the Hulk, thought it would grade higher. Has CGC changed how they treat Marvel Chipping?

some think it should be a 3.0 lol 
and that CGC needs to learn from them.

On 4/30/2022 at 12:40 AM, kav said:
On 4/30/2022 at 12:39 AM, TheGeneral said:

I got crushed on the Hulk, thought it would grade higher. Has CGC changed how they treat Marvel Chipping?

some think it should be a 3.0 lol 
and that CGC needs to learn from them.

And one of us thought it was a 5.5 .. :roflmao:

Oh.. Wait.. 

That was me..:facepalm:

Edit.. never mind.. it was a 5.5 I had for that one.. still :facepalm:

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Not 7.5

On 4/30/2022 at 12:43 AM, kav said:

Maybe CGC needs to learn from you- hm 

I misspoke it was another disaster that I said 7.5.. 

The hulk I sent a 5.5. still.. :facepalm:

Really been looking at that QC thread too long.. keep seeing things like 7.5-8's in 9.8 cases.. 

On 4/29/2022 at 10:45 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I misspoke it was another disaster that I said 7.5.. 

The hulk I sent a 5.5. still.. :facepalm:

Really been looking at that QC thread too long.. keep seeing things like 7.5-8's in 9.8 cases.. 

5.5 makes more sense than 3.0.

On 4/29/2022 at 10:49 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Well I would much rather buy it as a 3.0 . :roflmao:

naw

On 4/29/2022 at 11:42 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

And one of us thought it was a 5.5 .. :roflmao:

Oh.. Wait.. 

That was me..:facepalm:

Edit.. never mind.. it was a 5.5 I had for that one.. still :facepalm:

:golfclap:

On 4/30/2022 at 12:40 AM, kav said:

some think it should be a 3.0

Well, they're the ones who write grading guidelines.

I personally had it at 2.5, since those who write grading guidelines think Marvel chipping should be limited to the "Good" category (i.e., no higher than 3.0), and I didn't think the book was totally pristine even outside of missing the entire leading edge of the front cover.

CGC can just file it away under "learning experiences."

On 4/30/2022 at 1:09 AM, Axe Elf said:

I personally had it at 2.5, since those who write grading guidelines think Marvel chipping should be limited to the "Good" category (i.e., no higher than 3.0), and I didn't think the book was totally pristine even outside of missing the entire leading edge of the front cover.

20220430_011655.jpg.0ac357749b21a663710448158ee2dbb4.jpg

On 4/30/2022 at 2:09 AM, Axe Elf said:

Except... they don't write the grading guidelines. Where are these guidelines that you're referring to? The only ones I've ever seen on the CGC site are broad definitions of each grade. The only detailed grading guidelines I can think of offhand are the Overstreet standards, and CGC doesn't use those.

If I'm mistaken and CGC has published a detailed set of rules for the way they grade, I'd love to see them, so by all means share. If they did, though, I can't imagine that they would note 3.0 as a maximum for Marvel chipping, because I've seen many slabbed 5.0's with Marvel shipping comparable to that Hulk issue. Hell, I could dig up a few images of 5.0's of that exact Hulk issue with more or less the same amount of Marvel chipping. Even a 5.5 or two with a bit less.

(Now if only I hadn't fussed so much over the Marvel chipping that I completely missed the reading crease...)

On 4/30/2022 at 3:03 AM, trystero17 said:

If I'm mistaken and CGC has published a detailed set of rules for the way they grade, I'd love to see them, so by all means share.

From my limited experience on this site, I understand that it is frowned upon to mention any competition by name--but surely there is a tacit understanding that competition EXISTS.  Therefore, it should be obvious that...

1) CGC isn't the only one who writes grading guidelines;

and, from daily perusal of the "Quality Control" type threads, it should be obvious that...

2) Even if CGC has grading guidelines, they are not internally consistent in observing them--occasionally egregiously so.

This latter fact seems to be so widely known that it's worth an extra year's wait and another $75 to crack open a 9.4 and send it back in on the chance it might get a 9.8 this time (and repeat customers are often rewarded for their persistence--and sometimes they get a 7.5...  WAH Wah wah...).

It is my contention that if CGC is allowing that kind of damage in books graded above 3.0 because it has a special name, then objectively (not just from the perspective of "CGC Grading Standards"--if any such thing exists), that is an error.

Your mileage may vary...

Edited by Axe Elf