• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm out. Time to get out of comics...for me.
4 4

88 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2022 at 6:45 PM, ThothAmon said:

My one question is why does collecting have to be an all or nothing proposition?  I’d reevaluate and try to find a more balanced approach if possible. Either way, good luck to you and your family. 

A good idea. It’s tempting to get very frustrated by the way the back issue market has evolved and just pack it in rather than to explore alternatives, even if you end up not following the crowd anymore. There are certain aspects of my comics history that I wish I’d done very differently or curtailed much sooner, certainly, but I’m glad I continued with it in some form and adapted to inevitable change, on my own terms.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Yeah I’d maybe think about just buying what you really love that’s not out of your price range. 
ive come to terms with the fact I won’t be able to afford the keys I’d love so I’m happy just buying within my price range with the occasional treat. 
I’m not spending more than £300 / $400 on a book and I’m comfortable with that. 

I hope you reconsider whether this is truly the end, or just a readjustment of priorities, but I hope you're happy no matter which way you go. 

Think carefully, mate. Measure twice, cut once. 

On 4/18/2022 at 7:08 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I'd suggest just taking a break for a while/years rather than just packing it in.

I’ve occasionally needed to take a time out, recovered, and then, like a diehard comics geek, dived headlong back into the fray. Your mood changes, as can your resolve towards the situation in the long term.

It happens. I was in and out several times with both comics and sports cards. Different stages of life will do that. Unfortunately for me I just started again 3-4 years ago after a 20 year break. It’s amazing how high most comics have jumped. Keys are unattainable unless you have wads of cash and even minor keys are gone through the roof. I usually end up buying trades to read. I wish I had my old collection back, would be worth a fortune now. You will likely be back again in a few years. Do what’s best for you and your family. 

On 4/18/2022 at 11:58 AM, chrisco37 said:

I sold the majority of my collection over a year ago (all but about 60 books).  It was liberating to me.  I enjoy my collection much more now.  I actually look at my books.  

If you are going to do it, now is a great time to sell them.  

Yes it is.  The numbers are crazy.  Helps make the decision easier for sure.

Good for you Mike…I went from 7 long boxes down to 5 graded comics over the last 2 years…I thought I would have sellers remorse, but don’t at all…sold them all to 3 different buyers…I started collecting in 1980…

Edited by JTD

On 4/18/2022 at 12:40 PM, mlovest said:

I can't justify spending thousands of dollars for slabbed copies that have skyrocketed in value in recent years. 

That's why I am having fun buying books from dollar boxes these days. Stacks of good reads for nothing. Let the rubes fight over inflated books for now. 

Yes, I have decided to get out of comics.  I have collected since I was a kid, and I took a long break through high school and college, but I'm calling it quits.  For me, the joy of comics was it brought me back to the childhood feeling of joy and wonder at the coolness of being a superhero.  Early on, I loved Captain America and Daredevil, and then I really focused on Spider-Man.

I have enjoyed collecting Spider-Man comics for several decades now.  At one point, I sold off a bunch of my best books to help buy our home.  It was a tough decision, but it helped us get into a wonderful home we live in now.  I started back into replacing some of those books, but the prices have really made that difficult.  As a collector who really prefers high-grade copies, that's become impossible with the current prices, at least for me.

So I changed my focus, and I went after Conan and Swamp Thing, two of my long likes but not passions.  I picked up a set of the Swamp Thing from 1-11 in NM or better, and I picked up most of the early Conan's through 100.  I used to buy the Conan's off the shelf when I was a kid, so I have some high-grade issues I hand-picked myself.

Now, my energy and my focus is coming back to my family and other things.  For me personally, I can't justify spending thousands of dollars for slabbed copies that have skyrocketed in value in recent years.  I will be selling off most of my collection, and I know it will be a pain and a ton of work.  The slabbed copies are easy, but I have many boxes of high-grade but unslabbed comics.  Some are probably junk, like full sets of all of the Spider-Man series up through the 80's, 90's, 00's.  They have value to Spidey collectors, but not much real value.  Plus I have lots of mini statues, other statues, and other collectibles.  I will keep some cool items that mean a lot to me, as I will always have a soft spart in my heart for Spider-Man.

Good luck to many of you I have purchased books from over the years.  I appreciate your help along the way, and I hope you have continued joy from your collecting.

V/R, Mike

I know what you mean.  I've taken a bigger break this year as well.  I've moved to other sources of entertainment 

Edited by Wolverinex

Yes, I have decided to get out of comics.  I have collected since I was a kid, and I took a long break through high school and college, but I'm calling it quits.  For me, the joy of comics was it brought me back to the childhood feeling of joy and wonder at the coolness of being a superhero.  Early on, I loved Captain America and Daredevil, and then I really focused on Spider-Man.

I have enjoyed collecting Spider-Man comics for several decades now.  At one point, I sold off a bunch of my best books to help buy our home.  It was a tough decision, but it helped us get into a wonderful home we live in now.  I started back into replacing some of those books, but the prices have really made that difficult.  As a collector who really prefers high-grade copies, that's become impossible with the current prices, at least for me.

So I changed my focus, and I went after Conan and Swamp Thing, two of my long likes but not passions.  I picked up a set of the Swamp Thing from 1-11 in NM or better, and I picked up most of the early Conan's through 100.  I used to buy the Conan's off the shelf when I was a kid, so I have some high-grade issues I hand-picked myself.

Now, my energy and my focus is coming back to my family and other things.  For me personally, I can't justify spending thousands of dollars for slabbed copies that have skyrocketed in value in recent years.  I will be selling off most of my collection, and I know it will be a pain and a ton of work.  The slabbed copies are easy, but I have many boxes of high-grade but unslabbed comics.  Some are probably junk, like full sets of all of the Spider-Man series up through the 80's, 90's, 00's.  They have value to Spidey collectors, but not much real value.  Plus I have lots of mini statues, other statues, and other collectibles.  I will keep some cool items that mean a lot to me, as I will always have a soft spart in my heart for Spider-Man.

Good luck to many of you I have purchased books from over the years.  I appreciate your help along the way, and I hope you have continued joy from your collecting.

V/R, Mike

Good luck and I hope the money from the sale brings, allot of joy to your life. 

I've always loved stories where this silly hobby of ours has enabled people to make meaningful and positive changes in their lives. So selling comics to buy a home or putting the money towards your kids college..  I'm all for it. 

I think the recent prices have made allot of us reevaluate how we collect.  I know I've switched my focus area because I can no longer justify the cost of allot of the bigger books I've been chasing. 

Edited by KCOComics