• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PayPal hold?
3 3

35 posts in this topic

It's no conspiracy.

The buyer simply has to tick a box saying the item has arrived. Funds released.

Paypal have been doing this for over a year. 

If the buyer doesn't then the seller calls paypal to confirm the tracking shows 'arrived' - funds released.

They used to do it only for people using F+F to buy stuff. Maybe they are now covering the entire service.

It's an extra buyer safeguard, but sellers are still covered with tracking - you just have to wait sometimes.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:40 PM, Beige said:

It's no conspiracy.

If the buyer doesn't then the seller calls paypal to confirm the tracking shows 'arrived' - funds released.

They used to do it only for people using F+F to buy stuff. Maybe they are now covering the entire service.

It's an extra buyer safeguard, but sellers are still covered with tracking - you just have to wait sometimes.

Talked to 3 customer service reps today.  Never getting that time back.:pullhair:

I’ll ship the book tomorrow & jump through their hoops.  I doubt I’ll be accepting PayPal as payment going forward though.   That they can just slap a hold on a payment,  and assume the role of an escrow service is bull:censored:

On 4/21/2022 at 8:40 PM, Beige said:

It's no conspiracy.

The "buyer safeguard" is that PayPal can just yank the funds back from you if you screw the buyer over. I'm not about to start shipping things out without receiving payment first. And then I have to wait for the buyer to confirm the item arrived.....and if they don't I have to call customer service to get my money?

That's absurd. 

On 4/23/2022 at 9:42 AM, Nic8612 said:

The "buyer safeguard" is that PayPal can just yank the funds back from you if you screw the buyer over. I'm not about to start shipping things out without receiving payment first. And then I have to wait for the buyer to confirm the item arrived.....and if they don't I have to call customer service to get my money?

That's absurd. 

I imagine this is also to make sure the seller ships ASAP.  Want your money faster?  Maybe even ship it express so that you do.

As a buyer, this is all awesome.

As a seller....not so much.

On 4/23/2022 at 11:42 PM, Nic8612 said:

That's absurd. 

Hey, I don't work for paypal bud, just letting you know what they are doing now.

If you aren't happy, don't use them.

I avoid paypal as much as possible - but sometimes there is no other way to do a deal - so you just have to suck it up.

It's a good thing for buyers - sellers, I agree, not so much.

FYI - Buyers have to confirm within a certain timeframe - if they don't, and the tracking shows 'delivered', paypal will release the funds without you calling. So there's that. :foryou:

Edited by Beige

Aaaand speaking of holds on funds....good old ebay.

Uploading valid tracking for your orders benefits both you and your buyers by managing delivery expectations and protecting you against buyer claims. 

To improve the experience on eBay, attract more buyers to the platform and help grow your business, we’re encouraging sellers to upload tracking details for all trackable orders^.

From 7 February 2022, if you don’t upload valid tracking for at least 95% of your trackable orders, your payments may be placed on hold.

On 4/21/2022 at 12:35 AM, Mike Bray said:

sometimes I wish it was like the olden days - checks , money orders and cash wrapped up -- I had fewer problems 20-30 years ago than today , as several others would probably agree with that statement 

^ this is the way :headbang:

On 4/22/2022 at 3:40 AM, Beige said:

It's no conspiracy.

I rarely encounter any errors in PayPal. But if it happens, it happens at the most crucial moment. I recently found bonuses australia, read about no deposit bonus codes 2024 australia here. I always use PayPal for such services. Only a couple of times I was unable to make a payment. I had to call the hotline.

Honestly, I'm tired of this kind of stuff.

Edited by jonminkun36

Had the same thing happen to me after not selling anything for over a year. Kind of ridiculous having to use your own money to ship out everything. I think it's based on inactivity on your ebay account time duration. If you've sold recently probably doesn't happen type of thing. Some option to get partial funds to ship things exists I believe too but still ridiculous. Funds should be released if your account is in good standing however I can understand the policy considering the many and SO MANY hi-jacked EBAY accounts selling books that they don't have. So there's that.