• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I get graded comic autographed?

15 posts in this topic

I have six million dollar man comic graded at 8 and in case. i am meeting Lee Majors on Saturday. Should I open it up to have him sign it? Should I have him sign the comic or the case it is in? What will increase the value if at all?

20220421_123008.jpg

Hm.  I definitely would not crack the book out and have him sign it.  You'd then have to get it reslabbed and it wouldn't be a "verified" signature as far as CGC is concerned, so you'd get a "writing on cover" notation, and probably a lower grade.

If I were you, I'd get a picture taken with Mr. Majors, you and the book (or just him and the book) and just get a standard autograph - you might be able to get him to write "To Vagolds - Great Six Million Dollar Man #1 - Lee Majors" or something else like that.  I suspect that would be cool to other collectors.

That's a tough one.  

It will NOT increase the value of you have him sign and re-slab, because it was unwitnessed by CGC and they will not consider it an authentic autograph.  As already said, the presence of ink on the cover (i.e. the signature) could actually lower its grade.

Having said that, if you're looking to hold onto it as a keepsake, I think it would be a fine idea to crack it, get it signed, and then re-slabbed just because that would look attractive in the CGC case  :)  

As stated, completely up to you and what you intend to do with it. If a keepsake for the memory on your shelf, then crack it open. If looking for something to appreciate in value, then recommend getting something else signed. You never know, down the road they may do a Lee Majors Signature signing event. 

Ask him if he will sign it as Heath Barkley or Colt Seavers--or better yet--Harvey Lee Yeary.

Where are you meeting him? is is at a comic book con? sometimes there are CGC reps (unadvertised) at these cons and they will offer CGC signature service verifying the signature

Edited by Ed Hanes