• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd Chance Offer - eBay - Reasonable?
4 4

51 posts in this topic

On 4/26/2022 at 3:21 PM, D84 said:

Then don't bid more than you are willing to pay.

How much I'm willing to pay should not be gamed in an auction setting that's supposed to be a level playing ground. 
Just because I'm willing to pay X does not make it ok for someone to expose what my max is for their own financial gain. I'm willing to accept the fact that sometimes I have to pay my max or lose out on an item if someone legitimately wanted it more. Would you be as lax if an auction house such as Heritage shilled every auction in an attempt to maximize their profits at the expense of honest bidders? 

Edited by Funnybooks

On 4/26/2022 at 8:38 AM, jsilverjanet said:

From a sellers perspective as this has happened to me multiple times

i send the 2nd chance offer since you’ve told me what you were willing to pay - that’s your max bid

if you don’t want to pay it, that’s fine, I’ll relist. I’m only offering it because you expressed interest in the item and bid on it 

sometimes it’s that plain and simple, nothing nefarious 

Absolutely, and lately I am getting more and more deadbeat bidders who are requesting to cancel their bids as soon as the auction ends. Very frustrating. In these cases, lately I've just taken to relisting and starting over, because through no fault of my own, my item now has the taint of looking kinda shilly. It really sucks.

On 4/26/2022 at 4:09 PM, Heavyheavyheavy said:

:facepalm: you don't get it :tonofbricks:

I do get it.

Someone got in a bidding war on eBay, the high bidder backed out, the seller did a second chance offer, and the receiver of the offer is complaining about it.

When I sold comics on eBay, years ago, non paying bidders was a problem and I would do a second chance offer occasionally. At that time, you could only offer them at their highest bid. I'd be surprised if eBay changed it.

They are not legally bound to take the offer, so who cares?

Assuming this is shill bidding is asinine. People bid and realize they don't have the money. It happens. It's the same type of over zealous behavior that causes bidding wars.

And just because someone outbid you, doesn't mean you have to bid again. Walking away is always an option.

On 4/26/2022 at 4:13 AM, miraclemet said:

My question is When Buyer A outbid you (when your top bid was $600) did he do it all at once (coming in with a $610 bid out of the blue), or did he do it by inching up with multiple bids (that your $600 out bid him on) until he "over took you" at $610? 

Buyer-A dropped in at the last moment. They did not bid before.

I don't know if they were counter bidding or if eBay was telling me to bid up at an increment and then I chose to stop bidding.

On 4/26/2022 at 5:28 PM, D84 said:

I do get it.

Someone got in a bidding war on eBay, the high bidder backed out, the seller did a second chance offer, and the receiver of the offer is complaining about it.

When I sold comics on eBay, years ago, non paying bidders was a problem and I would do a second chance offer occasionally. At that time, you could only offer them at their highest bid. I'd be surprised if eBay changed it.

They are not legally bound to take the offer, so who cares?

Assuming this is shill bidding is asinine. People bid and realize they don't have the money. It happens. It's the same type of over zealous behavior that causes bidding wars.

And just because someone outbid you, doesn't mean you have to bid again. Walking away is always an option.

There's a difference between what you're willing to pay and what the final price should've been. Do you agree with this?

On 4/27/2022 at 3:57 AM, Gaard said:

There's a difference between what you're willing to pay and what the final price should've been. Do you agree with this?

The final price should be off the highest bid when the auction closes. If they don't pay, it goes to the next highest bid. This is how auctions work.

Again, with eBay's second chance offer you are not bound to it.

This is going around in circles. I'm out.

From Joseph Overaitis  at gocollect, today:

Buyers should always check the individual sales to see what the range of prices are in order to make an informed decision.  eBay bidders should also be wary of second chance offers. Years ago, I received a second chance offer because the buyer changed their mind.  The offer was for my last bid.  The problem was that if that person was bidding me up, my take was that my second chance offer should have been the last bid before the winner started bidding.  My counteroffer was refused.  The book sold for well below my counteroffer at a later date.  I believe the person used someone to bid up the item and then wanted me to pay the artificially raised price because their bidder won by accident.  This happens on Facebook a lot, where there are even less protections.