• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original art valuation help, please
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am looking for ballpark valuations of the following pieces of original art and also opinions as to the best way to sell, if I decide to.  I have been collecting comics for 45yrs, I just do not deal with original/comic art very much.  I have contacted two big auction houses and one big dealer that I like, but I am trying gather as much information as possible.  As such, I thought this group might be helpful.  I don't love the uncertainty of auctions, but this currently seems to be a seller-friendly atmosphere.  I also know there are advantages to working with a private individual or dealer.  Anyway, here is the list:

Conan The Barbarian 176, 179, 182, 189 (5 pages) Buscema art

Thor 188 Buscema art

Ghost Rider 78 Budiansky & Dzuban art

Iron Man 30 Don Heck art

Manhunter 2 Rice & Keith art

Action 410 Splash 

Lois Lane 134 (4) pieces: Cover, watercolor, page proof, higher grade issue of book Nick Cardy art

Kid Colt Outlaw 36 (Black Rider page) Dan Luprino art, with signature and sketch on back

Portfolio shown is 12”x18” for reference, Kid Colt page does not fit.

Thanks in advance.

Lois 134_1.jpg

Lois 134_4.jpg

Lois 134_5.jpg

Lois 134_2.jpg

Lois 134_3.jpg

Kid Colt 36_1.jpg

Kid Colt 36_2.jpg

Action 410.jpg

Ghost Rider 78.jpg

Iron Man 30.jpg

Thor 188.jpg

Manhunter 2.jpg

Conan 176_13.jpg

Conan 176_24.jpg

Conan 179.jpg

Conan 182.jpg

Conan 189.jpg

DJRome is right on the spot.  However, particularly look at this one that Alex mentions first:

• The OA auction archive at Heritage Auctions – This archive presents the results from all of their OA auctions.. Once you sign-up and get an id, you can search for pieces by your artist and see what they have sold for.

Because they are running so many auctions, it has a lot of new data

what they said

myself, it would likely be HA or someone like Mitch at Graphic Collectibles, he would have the knowledge to assist you with pricing.

but what they said. If you really don't know the market don't sell privately. and read alexh's post, it may be old but is the best comprehensive answer

On 4/26/2022 at 5:29 PM, Febtober said:

Hi,

I am looking for ballpark valuations of the following pieces of original art and also opinions as to the best way to sell, if I decide to.  I have been collecting comics for 45yrs, I just do not deal with original/comic art very much.  I have contacted two big auction houses and one big dealer that I like, but I am trying gather as much information as possible.  As such, I thought this group might be helpful.  I don't love the uncertainty of auctions, but this currently seems to be a seller-friendly atmosphere.  I also know there are advantages to working with a private individual or dealer.  Anyway, here is the list:

Conan The Barbarian 176, 179, 182, 189 (5 pages) Buscema art

Thor 188 Buscema art

Ghost Rider 78 Budiansky & Dzuban art

Iron Man 30 Don Heck art

Manhunter 2 Rice & Keith art

Action 410 Splash 

Lois Lane 134 (4) pieces: Cover, watercolor, page proof, higher grade issue of book Nick Cardy art

Kid Colt Outlaw 36 (Black Rider page) Dan Luprino art, with signature and sketch on back

Portfolio shown is 12”x18” for reference, Kid Colt page does not fit.

Thanks in advance.

Lois 134_1.jpg

Lois 134_4.jpg

Lois 134_5.jpg

Lois 134_2.jpg

Lois 134_3.jpg

Kid Colt 36_1.jpg

Kid Colt 36_2.jpg

Action 410.jpg

Ghost Rider 78.jpg

Iron Man 30.jpg

Thor 188.jpg

Manhunter 2.jpg

Conan 176_13.jpg

Conan 176_24.jpg

Conan 179.jpg

Conan 182.jpg

Conan 189.jpg

The artist on the Lois Lane cover is Bob Oksner, not Nick Cardy. 

On 4/26/2022 at 7:32 PM, Will_K said:

I'm a big Nick Cardy fan.  I don't think the Lois Lane cover is by him.  The GCD indicates the artist is Bob Oksner.  I'm in 80% agreement with that.  See: https://www.comics.org/issue/26803/   You also find other credits on GCD, which is very accurate but not perfect.

Yes, Bob Oksner. 

On 4/26/2022 at 11:22 PM, artdealer said:

Thanks for the mention. 
I need to get more of that 

Do I make the check payable to you?

I typed like 2 sentences to state I barely know you, then felt it wasn't necessary. Was worried people would think it was nepotism.

On 4/27/2022 at 7:51 AM, gumbydarnit said:

I might ignore all the pms that claim to be helping you out when those pms end with an offer : )

Absolutely. If you're unsure about pricing, consult Heritage's auction archive and consider consigning them. The art market is on fire and you have some excellent pieces.

On 4/27/2022 at 6:51 AM, gumbydarnit said:

I might ignore all the pms that claim to be helping you out when those pms end with an offer : )

And the PMs that follow those PMs from other people ("Oh no, I'm not affiliated with that guy who gave you the estimate, but his numbers sound fair...I'll take them at that price). 

When someone not familiar with the current art market lists a bunch of pieces and asks for help in valuation and how to sell I picture this same scene from Dracula instantly...the last person you want to help you with what you're looking to do will undoubtedly show up. 

Edited by comix4fun

On 4/26/2022 at 6:32 PM, Will_K said:

I'm a big Nick Cardy fan.  I don't think the Lois Lane cover is by him.  The GCD indicates the artist is Bob Oksner.  I'm in 80% agreement with that.  See: https://www.comics.org/issue/26803/   You also find other credits on GCD, which is very accurate but not perfect.

Thank you, I see now that CGC credits Bob Osker. 

On 4/26/2022 at 6:31 PM, Bird said:

what they said

myself, it would likely be HA or someone like Mitch at Graphic Collectibles, he would have the knowledge to assist you with pricing.

but what they said. If you really don't know the market don't sell privately. and read alexh's post, it may be old but is the best comprehensive answer

Thank you for this, I appreciate it.

On 4/27/2022 at 8:41 AM, comix4fun said:

And the PMs that follow those PMs from other people ("Oh no, I'm not affiliated with that guy who gave you the estimate, but his numbers sound fair...I'll take them at that price). 

When someone not familiar with the current art market lists a bunch of pieces and asks for help in valuation and how to sell I picture this same scene from Dracula instantly...the last person you want to help you with what you're looking to do will undoubtedly show up. 

Let me put it another way….if this was your collection, how would you liquidate it?  Thanks

On 4/29/2022 at 12:33 PM, Febtober said:

Let me put it another way….if this was your collection, how would you liquidate it?  Thanks

If I didn't have a group of people I already trusted who were active in the hobby (whatever hobby that is, not just art) I would try to organize my art so I understood not just the main artist, but the inker, the era, the story arc, and anything else that makes the pages I own distinctive and either superior or inferior to whatever sales comparables I can find. 

I'd read Alex Johnson's breakdown as mentioned before. It's a good breakdown of how to approach it. Lots of sales comps online. The Heritage Archive is a boon for that. You can at least get close to where pages should sell for, a range of value high and low. Then, as you compare you can really see if what you've got is better or worse than the comps you're finding (more characters in costume, a key scene, etc). 

Then you can use this site, Facebook groups for original art sales, or places like comic link's marketplace, or comic link or heritage auctions for example to move the pieces. If you get a high comfort level with your range of valuation you can list the pieces (I would go one at a time if you're fielding offers) on groups or sites where you can set a high price and take offers or you can go the "deal or no deal" route where you can field offers and turn down any you don't like. You've got a lot of options. 

If you think the range of values is too potentially wide or you're unsure of your willingness to deal with strangers, shipping, payments, etc. then you can speak to the auction houses and consign and send them the art and wait for a check. There are pluses and minuses to each approach. A lot will depend on what you discover finding sales comps.