• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's BARBIE THE MOVIE starring Margot Robbie (2023)
7 7

540 posts in this topic

On 7/31/2023 at 4:07 PM, drotto said:

The only way to "know " would be if the success of this movie is a one off.  When Barbie 2 comes out how will it perform. Equal or better, people don't care or agree with the message.  If number 2 crashes, you can have some ammunition for that argument.

Mattel reportedly has several other toy based movies in the pipeline, like Matchbox and Polly Pockets.  You could attempt some analysis based on those movies performance, but without knowing the plot or seeing, way too early to say.  Also, I doubt those IP's have the same strong fan base. Barbie is Mattel's premire IP, and I would be surprised if any of their other properties can repeat this. 

There are only three that MIGHT come close with Masters of the Universe, Hot Wheels, and American Girl.

If Barbie is Mattel's "A List Property" then I would consider Hot Wheels / Matchbox Cars to be the A-/B+ lister and Masters of the Universe and American Girl to be the B Listers.  

Edited by Buzzetta

On 7/31/2023 at 4:28 PM, sfcityduck said:

I hope you mean hot wheels.

On 7/31/2023 at 4:31 PM, drotto said:

Yes, my bad, but you knew what I ment.

Mattel owns both. 

Over the past twenty years everyone expected them to at some point fold one brand over into the other but Mattel, in a rare move for a toy company, recognized adult collector brand loyalty and has kept each a separate entity in the portfolio.  In an even rarer move for a toy company, the brands are so separated that neither brands share the same tooling. You will not see a repainted Hot Wheels design repackaged on a Matchbox Car cardback and vice versa. 

On 7/31/2023 at 4:07 PM, drotto said:

The only way to "know " would be if the success of this movie is a one off.  When Barbie 2 comes out how will it perform. Equal or better, people don't care or agree with the message.  If number 2 crashes, you can have some ammunition for that argument.

I'm not sure why people in the thread are hung up on the nature of the appeal of this movie to female audiences, which most likely revolves around issues it raises, both with satire and social commentary, and how it makes them think and feel.  You know, good movie making.

Edited by namisgr

On 8/1/2023 at 6:40 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Movie theaters aren't churches, proving my point.

?

Day by day, the Barbie movie is outpacing such blockbusters as Top Gun: Maverick and Avatar: The Way of Water.

If anything, I'd say the controversy ginned up by some fragile men on social media is only *helping* the film.

On 8/1/2023 at 7:14 AM, Gatsby77 said:

?

Day by day, the Barbie movie is outpacing such blockbusters as Top Gun: Maverick and Avatar: The Way of Water.

If anything, I'd say the controversy ginned up by some fragile men on social media is only *helping* the film.

There's the expected misandry. :headpat:

On 8/1/2023 at 6:14 AM, Gatsby77 said:

?

today i'll try to counter some of that fragility by watching a commando/predator double-feature.

On 8/1/2023 at 4:19 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's the expected misandry. :headpat:

C’mon, let’s use words right. Strictly speaking the word “Misandry” means hatred of men not disdain towards a small subset of men who want to nail themselves to a cross and claim victimhood because Barbie is allegedly threatening or persecuting them. When a man, which I guess the poster is, disdains men with those feelings it does not mean he hates himself.

On 8/1/2023 at 9:54 AM, sfcityduck said:

C’mon, let’s use words right. Strictly speaking the word “Misandry” means hatred of men not disdain towards a small subset of men who want to nail themselves to a cross and claim victimhood because Barbie is allegedly threatening or persecuting them. When a man, which I guess the poster is, disdains men with those feelings it does not mean he hates himself.

The hypocrisy writes itself.

On 8/1/2023 at 6:58 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Movie theaters aren't churches, next.

No they aren’t.  But they are an example of one of the many places that Americans like to get preached at.  Others include talk radio, political rallies, fake news shows, country music etc.