• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's BARBIE THE MOVIE starring Margot Robbie (2023)
7 7

540 posts in this topic

@Buzzetta style report coming from behind the scenes to a chat near you:

I have two daughters who are dying to see it with me. 

My 26 year old still hasn't seen it. 

My 22 year old has seen it and loved it and wants to see it again with me and my other daughter so we'll be seeing it next week.

Their Mother, in her exact words: "It had some funny parts but I thought it was silly." lol

I totally saw that coming. She grew up in Europe has a real disdain for how culture has turned in North America since she moved here in 1988.

She did also say this: "I think it’s a great movie for a father to see with his daughters."

On 11/12/2023 at 11:32 AM, VintageComics said:

@Buzzetta style report coming from behind the scenes to a chat near you:

I have two daughters who are dying to see it with me. 

My 26 year old still hasn't seen it. 

My 22 year old has seen it and loved it and wants to see it again with me and my other daughter so we'll be seeing it next week.

Their Mother, in her exact words: "It had some funny parts but I thought it was silly." lol

I totally saw that coming. She grew up in Europe has a real disdain for how culture has turned in North America since she moved here in 1988.

She did also say this: "I think it’s a great movie for a father to see with his daughters."

Have fun at the movies?   Enjoy these moments and I am glad that they are lasting?

I don't know what response you were looking for here.

On 11/12/2023 at 7:17 PM, Buzzetta said:

Have fun at the movies?   Enjoy these moments and I am glad that they are lasting?

I don't know what response you were looking for here.

Not looking for a response. Was just emulating your style of posting by bringing my daily life into a forum post the way you do sometimes, only I'm not talking about plumbers and Long Island. 

:headbang:

On 11/12/2023 at 7:19 PM, VintageComics said:

Not looking for a response. Was just emulating your style of posting by bringing my daily life into a forum post the way you do sometimes, only I'm not talking about plumbers and Long Island. 

:headbang:

If you were not looking for a response you would not have tagged me.  So there is your first misrepresentation.  I will not go so far as to call it a "lie."

The lie though is my bringing up your daily life.  When was the last time I did that?   I did it once and well over a year ago?  And I publicly and privately and in person apologized for it? 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 11/12/2023 at 7:29 PM, Buzzetta said:

If you were not looking for a response you would not have tagged me.  So there is your first misrepresentation.  I will not go so far as to call it a "lie."

I wasn't looking to get a response. I simply was trying to draw your attention to the post for fun and if you chose to respond, then fine. No malice intended and no big deal. 

I think you're overthinking it. 

On 11/12/2023 at 7:29 PM, Buzzetta said:

When was the last time I did that?   I did it once and well over a year ago?  And I publicly and privately and in person apologized for it? 

Again, we're misunderstanding me. 

You just talked about dinner and waiting for 2 hours in traffic in the other thread. 

I was just having a "stream of consciousness post" (something I probably started on this forum lol ) and I was "channeling you" when I gave the forums a glimpse into my personal life the way you do sometimes. 

All good. Sorry I tagged you. It was genuinely meant to be innocuous and fun. 

On 11/12/2023 at 11:32 AM, VintageComics said:

So, in typical "stream of consciousness" posting style, and in the spirit of this discussion here, I was having dinner tonight at a spot while we were discussing the success of the Marvels movie in the other thread here (I have my laptop), and I got into a conversation with a manager at the spot I was having dinner. She's a 27 year old female, East Indian born but raised in the West Indies.

When I asked her what she thought about the Barbie movie, she replied with this:

"I thought it was DUMB!" 

Hammer, meet nail. :roflmao:

When I asked why, and this was entirely HER interpretation she said "If it was just a funny comedy, it was good, but I don't think that's what Greta Gerwig intended to do with that movie. They marketed it like they were trying to ram something down your throat."

Her words. I kid you not. 27 year old woman of color raised elsewhere. She sounded like my ex at half her age, which is REALLY strange because they're so different as women culturally, racially and age wise. But they both came to the same conclusion and most of the non-American women I talk to seem to feel the same way. 

The only thing I've been able to conclude, and I really think that this is the case, is that within the US borders, or in the US and Canada everyone lives here in a different planet than the rest of the world and those with roots to other countries see things very differently than those who have had blinders fitted by years of conditioning to actually accept everything as it's conveyed and not to question anything. It's quite literally a black and white difference between people within North America and those without. 

Either that, or these women are misogynistic and they need to be reprogrammed. doh!

--------------------------------------------

I'm still planning on seeing it this weekend with my two younger daughters, but I thought that was worth mentioning. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/11/2023 at 3:53 PM, VintageComics said:

For example, there are fields where men have NO CHANCE of succeeding because it's determined by biology and psychology, and you CAN NOT CHANGE BIOLOGY.

Caregiving is one. Women make MUCH better caregivers in EVERY SITUATION. 

Why are women better caregivers? Because WOMEN are MORE AGREEABLE than men. Men are less agreeable than women. 

Because women are more agreeable, they tend to think more communally and do what is better for others before they do it for themselves. This makes them great doctors, nurses, practitioners, caregivers. 

Counterpoint: Because men are LESS AGREEABLE than women, they tend to do better in the CORPORATE world. Why? Because the corporate world, as NOBODY will disagree is CUT THROAT. 

Because men have more aggression, it makes them worse caregivers and stronger corporate negotiator's. 

Since reading this, I've been struggling with whether to respond, and if so, how to do so.  But I think it needs a response, so here goes:

First, I tend to agree with you when it comes to the averages.  On average, men tend to be more suited to certain roles, and on average women tend to be suited to other roles.  Vive la différence, right?

But a lot of what is written above makes it sound like there are completely separate realms to be labeled masculine and feminine, with no overlap.  Whereas we can probably all think of examples of some overlap, a Venn diagram of intersecting circles, overlapping in the middle.  So, yes, women can make great doctors, but does that mean men should be "educated" not be doctors, since they tend to be less agreeable on average?  Or, an opposite example, one of my wife's friends is a male nurse, and he's happily married to a wonderful woman.  Not too many years ago, many people would think there was something wrong with him for being in a not traditionally-masculine field.  Surely, we are in a better place in society now to allow for people to take on non-traditional roles, without being labeled as sissies or tomboys or worse homophobic or transphobic slurs.  

People are free to define their own existence as they will.

It’s when people go out of their way to define everyone else’s existence that maybe they they should step back an find a more comfortable shoe.

edit to add…

I would like my child to grow into the world with as many doors open as possible and let them decide which ones to close when the time comes.

PS Barbie was a great film!

Edited by Mr Sneeze
Added comment

On 11/14/2023 at 9:42 AM, Zonker said:

Since reading this, I've been struggling with whether to respond, and if so, how to do so.  But I think it needs a response, so here goes:

First, I tend to agree with you when it comes to the averages.  On average, men tend to be more suited to certain roles, and on average women tend to be suited to other roles.  Vive la différence, right?

But a lot of what is written above makes it sound like there are completely separate realms to be labeled masculine and feminine, with no overlap.  Whereas we can probably all think of examples of some overlap, a Venn diagram of intersecting circles, overlapping in the middle.  So, yes, women can make great doctors, but does that mean men should be "educated" not be doctors, since they tend to be less agreeable on average?  Or, an opposite example, one of my wife's friends is a male nurse, and he's happily married to a wonderful woman.  Not too many years ago, many people would think there was something wrong with him for being in a not traditionally-masculine field.  Surely, we are in a better place in society now to allow for people to take on non-traditional roles, without being labeled as sissies or tomboys or worse homophobic or transphobic slurs.  

This is a great example of a respectful post with the intent to engage with productive discourse and I wholeheartedly and genuinely appreciate it. 

Thank you. 

My personality tends to gravitate toward extreme examples to drive home points but that doesn't mean they're held in a vaccuum and that there isn't a spectrum to each point. 

Of COURSE men and women can do whatever they want.  Of COURSE you will have male nurses in a female dominated field or FEMALE CEOs in a male dominated field. There is absolutely an overlap.

My kids overlap in those spectrums. 2 of my kids, 1 male and 1 female are BOTH first responders. Another daughter was an athlete in a male dominated world who has now crossed over into the female dominated world of administrative work in the medical field. My youngest daughter (22) works in social work - she is constantly getting assaulted and abused by teen boys.

My talking points are generally shown with extreme examples simply so that I can make my point driven home in a way that MOST will get, but you're right, I should provide some more examples for those who overlap between the two.

I have SEVERAL great friends who are stay at home dads while the mother is the breadwinner. Nothing wrong with that. It works for them.

We are in a better place than any other time in human history and most seem to not realize it.

If you live in the West, you live in the top 2% of the world, economically and historically. The rest of the world throughout history lives below the poverty line while we live WELL above it.

We have more human rights than ever before. We have more prosperity than ever before. We have more diversity than ever before.

And yet, if you listened to the media, they'd have you believe that we are a dumpster fire and nobody is safe. lol

Nobody, LITERALLY NOBODY CARES what you want to do with yourself unless it's harming someone else or harming yourself. NOBODY.

What the media has done is put a microscope on the things that nobody cares about and made them seem like EVERYONE CARES and that distortion of perception is what is making everything so volatile and difficult to navigate. 

Even minority groups have started speaking up about this distortion in society being pushed by the media onto the people. They're speaking out because the backlash is now harming the very groups they are trying to protect. If any single person or group pushes too hard, it will backfire. It's inevitable. 

So back off the gas on the politics, the virtue signalling, the avatars, the pokes and baiting and have some gratitude for where we're at.

Your gratitude and your actions will shine far brighter than your internet avatar and the flag outside your home and it'll teach each of us more as well. 

So, I don't think we're so far apart on this.  But I guess I don't really see "the media" as this big monolithic thing pushing a single agenda.  Instead, I think people who self-select to go into journalism or filmmaking or fiction-writing are generally people who want to express a point of view that may not align with the status quo.  Not many people would choose to be a struggling artist in order to get the word out that "Hey Everybody! The glass is half FULL!"  :bigsmile:

So, once those self-selected folks get access to a microphone, the things they say often are...

On 11/14/2023 at 10:59 AM, VintageComics said:

extreme examples to drive home points

:wink:

I'm laughing at your wink because I KNOW it's true. lol

On 11/14/2023 at 11:27 AM, Zonker said:

So, I don't think we're so far apart on this.  But I guess I don't really see "the media" as this big monolithic thing pushing a single agenda.  Instead, I think people who self-select to go into journalism or filmmaking or fiction-writing are generally people who want to express a point of view that may not align with the status quo.  Not many people would choose to be a struggling artist in order to get the word out that "Hey Everybody! The glass is half FULL!"  :bigsmile:

We're actually on the exact same page as far as human perspective but if you don't see the push by the media, you just don't understand how the media works. 

Almost all Legacy media is co-opted by the same movement we're talking about in the Marvel's thread. But don't take my word for it. Read about it yourself and then come back and let me know. 

I watched it though I had no real intention or desire to.  I thought it was pretty good, and amusing, though not "great"--but I'm a pretty tough audience.  Hard to imagine anyone actually finding it offensive, but I guess there are some odd ducks out there getting worked up about female M&Ms, Bud Light, Jane Foster, etc., too, so I guess anything is possible.

On 11/19/2023 at 6:19 PM, Poekaymon said:

I watched it though I had no real intention or desire to.  I thought it was pretty good, and amusing, though not "great"--but I'm a pretty tough audience.  Hard to imagine anyone actually finding it offensive, but I guess there are some odd ducks out there getting worked up about female M&Ms, Bud Light, Jane Foster, etc., too, so I guess anything is possible.

I'm watching it tonight with my daughter and her boyfriend. :headbang:

One of my daughters couldn't make it but she's already seen it so we'll discuss it later.

I'll report back. 

On 11/19/2023 at 6:23 PM, VintageComics said:

I'll report back. 

The movie was hilarious in a good way, but I have mixed feelings, although likely not for the reason most people think. :angel:

My daughter thought it was a bit dumb but enjoyed the comedy and we talked about it for about 10-15 mins after. 

I'm going to digest my thoughts and reply later.

On 11/19/2023 at 8:54 PM, VintageComics said:

The movie was hilarious in a good way, but I have mixed feelings, although likely not for the reason most people think. :angel:

My daughter thought it was a bit dumb but enjoyed the comedy and we talked about it for about 10-15 mins after. 

I'm going to digest my thoughts and reply later.

On 11/19/2023 at 9:27 PM, CAHokie said:

We will all be waiting in suspense. I will book a three hour block for tomorrow to read it all. :D

I'm going to call in sick to work and grab a bottle of whiskey for this...