• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western University librarians ask public what to do with 70,000 comics
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Librarians at Western University are asking users how they can best organize an estimated 70,000 donated comic books. 

The comics came from seven different donors located between London, Ont. and Toronto over the past 15 years. Librarians say now is the time to sort what they estimate is one of the largest academic collections in the country. 

The core of the collection was donated by retired Huron University professor Eddy Smet, who opened London's first comic book store in 1979. Since 2007, Smet has donated thousands of comics to Archives and Special Collections at D.B. Weldon Library. 

Many of Smet's comics, dubbed "Canadian Whites," were published during the Second World War. Also known as War Exchange Comics, Canadian Whites earned the moniker for having colourful covers but only black and white pages. Publishers at the time didn't have the technology or supplies to do colour printing on the inside. 

1011619884_ScreenShot2022-04-29at1_55_16PM.thumb.png.e25bc45af27c7deae058ee412879ab7f.png

Full story and all images can be found at:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6433423

Edited by Sauce Dog

So they just let them sit there for 15 years and "now is the time" to finally sort them?

I’ve had five different libraries approach me about what to do with donated comics. None of them from WWII, but occasionally as far back as mid-60s.

In most cases, when I get the call, I ask them what their discount is on graphic novels from their distributor. It’s usually terrible. Like 20% off retail.

We've been able to work out several trade deals involving me buying hardcovers at my much larger discount, of titles that will actually circulate for them (when it comes down to it, the goal of every library is to get LOTS of stuff checked out over and over and over… they hate being museums, they want books to circulate). I give them exactly the books they’d prefer to have for their patrons. I get comics they can’t properly store and can’t circulate.

One of my exes spent a few years working for a major museum. It was staggering hearing how much quality material sat in boxes in storage never on display. Donors thought they were doing the right thing giving material to the museum. And mostly they were just passing along a storage problem to someone else. Hundreds of boxes of treasures buried in a basement.

On 4/29/2022 at 3:33 PM, Axe Elf said:

So they just let them sit there for 15 years and "now is the time" to finally sort them?

I guess there were a number of donations with the good stuff being in 2015.   See link below. 

Honestly, as a whites collector I’m really disappointed these are with an institution with people who frankly won’t appreciate them.   

https://lfpress.com/2015/11/08/the-comic-books-that-collector-eddy-smet-is-giving-to-western-include-rare-editions-called-canadian-whites

Edited by Bronty

On 4/29/2022 at 4:01 PM, Courageous Cat said:

no doubt once made available for the public, some of these will magically walk away

I would be more than happy to paid their token "lost item" fee if it's for a copy of either Action 1, 'Tec 27, or any other valuable comic book. :bigsmile:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

back when I could claim comic book donations I gave my local library 20 long boxes filled with the biggest bunch of drek you have even seen.  We are talking about stuff that didn't sell for 2x$1 at a couple local shows.  The people at the library were so excited about my initial donation of 10 long boxes that I came back and dropped off another 10 long boxes the next week.  The tax break made me happy so I was happy to give them what I couldn't sell - I wonder if they eventually had to throw out most of it.

Edited by 1Cool

On 4/30/2022 at 4:42 PM, lighthouse said:

...One of my exes spent a few years working for a major museum. It was staggering hearing how much quality material sat in boxes in storage never on display. Donors thought they were doing the right thing giving material to the museum. And mostly they were just passing along a storage problem to someone else. Hundreds of boxes of treasures buried in a basement.

It's such a problem.  And the process for deaccessioning donated items is tedious and at times impossible, depending on the agreement made between the giver and institution.  

At the last museum I worked for, the basement storage was for large sculpture and everything else that will never see the light of day.  

On 4/29/2022 at 8:55 PM, Sauce Dog said:

1011619884_ScreenShot2022-04-29at1_55_16PM.thumb.png.e25bc45af27c7deae058ee412879ab7f.png

Full story and all images can be found at:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6433423  

I think it's important to do something to prevent those comics 'missing'. You can't be sure there will be no situation when someone will decide to walk away from the library with comics inside their bag. I don't know if there are any comics in my library; at least, I've never noticed one. But, many other resources are beneficial for education and just for chilling and reading. Once I was writing on comics and their importance in people's life ( not the exact theme), and I faced a lack of sources in the library. I found some info online, for example, on https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/ I read a few paper samples, which helped me a lot in the process. I also did a small research, and each second person in my group loves reading comics. But, still, non-fiction literature is preferred more. But I hope that one day there will be a collection of comics in my uni. think

Wow, the amount of comics is impressive. I think that students will be happy to have different comics in libraries and will enjoy reading them!

Edited by JasonButler