• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 3
11 11

330 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2022 at 7:16 PM, Bird said:

I would think anyone with 10 or more points is an outside shot to win it all. Those with 9 or less seem to be our contenders and there are too many people for the rest of us to jump over to win.

12 points, so close and yet so far

Provokes a question, how many total rounds will there be? Seems like 3 has a level of good + lucky element, but 5 rounds would have to show some consistency of correct estimating rationale for those who aren't that far off the mark. 

On 5/4/2022 at 10:24 PM, Jaywalker0 said:

Provokes a question, how many total rounds will there be? Seems like 3 has a level of good + lucky element, but 5 rounds would have to show some consistency of correct estimating rationale for those who aren't that far off the mark. 

I'm pretty sure it's 4, then I was pretty sure of a few things on the last round;) :tonofbricks:

Edited by skypinkblu

No, my grades are still not in.

On 5/4/2022 at 8:09 PM, skypinkblu said:

I'm pretty sure it's 4, then I was pretty sure of a few things on the last round;) :tonofbricks:

Screenshot 2022-05-04 8.30.08 PM.png

On 5/4/2022 at 9:28 PM, kav said:

Bah I'm getting six bullseyes this round.

Oh yeah? I'm getting SEVEN bullseyes, after delivering my grades in person, walking up-hill both ways.

In the snow.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:14 PM, grendelbo said:

It's 4 rounds and everyone is in it until the end unless you don't submit grades to Mike.

So it's gonna be like Family Feud where the points are tripled and it really only matters who wins the last round?

On 5/4/2022 at 9:49 PM, ttfitz said:

Oh yeah? I'm getting SEVEN bullseyes, after delivering my grades in person, walking up-hill both ways.

In the snow.

mail.gif

On 5/4/2022 at 11:51 PM, ttfitz said:
On 5/4/2022 at 10:14 PM, grendelbo said:

It's 4 rounds and everyone is in it until the end unless you don't submit grades to Mike.

So it's gonna be like Family Feud where the points are tripled and it really only matters who wins the last round?

well the bottom half of the list is more like Who's line is it anyway...

where-everything-is-made-up-whose-line-is-it-anyway.gif.ac81aa1d0af4a6f66b21ece2550e1910.gif

On 5/4/2022 at 10:51 PM, ttfitz said:

That would be interesting.

Or something like any bulleyes in the last round give you a -1.

On 5/4/2022 at 6:55 PM, Comicshows said:

Submitted my losing entry. At least I’m getting better with age as I had two bullseyes the last round. 

Same here.  Only had 5 points.  Big turnaround for me from the disaster on the 1st round.  

Edited by musicmeta

On 5/4/2022 at 12:29 PM, zzutak said:

Here are the key measures of central tendency (aka "distribution statistics") based on Mike's results presented above (Mean = the average grade; Median = the middle grade in a numerically rank-ordered list; Mode = the most common grade):

Book CGC Grade Distribution Statistics
# Grade Mean Median Mode
6 4.0 4.6 4.5 4.5
7 3.0 3.0 3.0 2.5
8 8.0 8.7 9.0 8.5/9.0
9 7.5 7.9 8.0 8.0
10 9.6 9.4 9.6 9.6

Board members were generally in line with CGC on the Round #2 books.  Here are a a few notable observations based on the data reported above:

• Book #6 (Little Lulu #1): 62% of the contestants were within one grade increment of CGC.  However, taken as a whole, Boardies were about one grade increment more lenient than CGC (4.6 vs 4.0).
  • Book #7 (Fantastic Four #48): The "easiest" book for the Board as a whole, with 70% of the contestants within one grade increment of CGC and a mean contestant grade identical to that of CGC (3.0 vs 3.0).  (worship)
  • Book #8 (Sub-Mariner #8): In the Board's collective opinion, this is an 8.5 VF+ or 9.0 VF/NM!  :sumo:  :sumo:  :sumo:  CPR that book, stat!  :gossip:
  • Book #9 (Batman Annual #10): 57% of the contestants were within one grade increment of CGC.  The Board was, collectively, about one grade increment more lenient than CGC (7.9 vs 7.5).
  • Book #10 (X-Men #283): 75% of the contestants were within one grade increment of CGC.  :whatthe:  This time the Board was, collectively, one grade increment tougher than CGC (9.4 vs 9.6).

The books have been challenging, but the players are definitely up for the challenge.  Well done!  (worship)

On 5/4/2022 at 12:42 PM, zzutak said:

My pleasure.  (worship)  Here's a comparison of the Contest #1 and Contest #2 attrition (drop-out) data.  The procedures currently in place are clearly leading to a more committed field of players.  (thumbsu

Contest # 1 2
Signed Up (Rd-0) 354 154

Rd-1 Players 203 134
Rd-0 to Rd-1 Drop-Outs 151 20
Rd-0 to Rd-1 Drop Out % 43% 13%

Rd-2 Players 152 113
Rd-1 to Rd-2 Drop-Outs 51 21
Rd-1 to Rd-2 Drop Out % 25% 16%

On 5/5/2022 at 9:29 AM, flashlites said:

Did any drop out of the race in the last round?

On 5/5/2022 at 1:08 PM, flashlites said:

Awesome stats!!!

It shows who dropped out after sign up to first round, first to second round.... Etc

No worries 😊

It's a long time until Saturday 

On 5/5/2022 at 12:17 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It shows who dropped out after sign up to first round, first to second round.... Etc

No worries 😊

It's a long time until Saturday 

At least there are less people who didn't realize the contest would involve working for a prize.  IMO, of course. lol