• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 2 results!
4 4

65 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Note:  The spreadsheet doesn't calculate grades above 9.8.  We will not be using any books about a 9.8 for the contest.  I will add this to the rules in the future.

On 5/4/2022 at 12:04 PM, CGC Mike said:

Note:  The spreadsheet doesn't calculate grades above 9.8.  We will not be using any books about a 9.8 for the contest.  I will add this to the rules in the future.

:golfclap:

9.8s would be too difficult to determine through pics or scans. 9.6s are dicey enough.

• Administrator

Sorry, I misspoke.  The spreadsheet doesn't calculate grades above 9.8.  Only grades from .5 through 9.8 will be accepted.

On 5/4/2022 at 12:14 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I never received any alert that Round 2 had even started.  I check my PMs daily and I thought there would be one to kick off each round.  Oh well.

if you read the 1st pm, you would know he doesn't do alert pm's after every round :( 

I mean it's in the paragraph :foryou: you're not the only one thus far

On 5/4/2022 at 1:17 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

if you read the 1st pm, you would know he doesn't do alert pm's after every round :( 

I mean it's in the paragraph :foryou: you're not the only one thus far

Sure, OK.  Hey all I can say is lurking on this message board is not my day job so if the goal here is to drive participation, there has to be a better way to keep people engaged.

The flaw in the process is that if there are no PMs, and if there is always a new thread (in other words, following the previous thread is no help), then no alert lands in my notifications to let me know something is going on.  With so many other distractions in life, I can't guarantee that I will remember to go hunting for a new thread.

Feedback for what it's worth.  Enjoy the rest of the contest guys, I wish I could be part of it.

On 5/4/2022 at 12:14 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I check my PMs daily and I thought there would be one to kick off each round.

It doesn't do much good to check your PMs if you don't read them.

On 5/4/2022 at 12:25 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Sure, OK.  Hey all I can say is lurking on this message board is not my day job so if the goal here is to drive participation, there has to be a better way to keep people engaged.

The flaw in the process is that if there are no PMs, and if there is always a new thread (in other words, following the previous thread is no help), then no alert lands in my notifications to let me know something is going on.  With so many other distractions in life, I can't guarantee that I will remember to go hunting for a new thread.

Feedback for what it's worth.  Enjoy the rest of the contest guys, I wish I could be part of it.

:cheers:

On 5/4/2022 at 1:25 PM, Axe Elf said:

It doesn't do much good to check your PMs if you don't read them.

Seriously?  Take your disrespectful attitude somewhere else.

I essentially volunteered to be part of this contest because I was asked to, and because apparently it was really important to the people enabling and moderating this community to have robust participation.  I don't have any particular need to do this, but I stepped up when asked.

So again, if the goal is to make sure there's good participation, then there are improvements that could be made to what is mostly a really great thing.  On the other hand, if there is going to be some mixed message along the lines of "please please pretty please participate but if you miss a PM then too bad, it's all on you" then don't bother asking me next time.

My pleasure.  (worship)  Here's a comparison of the Contest #1 and Contest #2 attrition (drop-out) data.  The procedures currently in place are clearly leading to a more committed field of players.  (thumbsu

Contest # 1 2
Signed Up (Rd-0) 354 154

Rd-1 Players 203 134
Rd-0 to Rd-1 Drop-Outs 151 20
Rd-0 to Rd-1 Drop Out % 43% 13%

Rd-2 Players 152 113
Rd-1 to Rd-2 Drop-Outs 51 21
Rd-1 to Rd-2 Drop Out % 25% 16%

• Administrator
On 5/4/2022 at 1:42 PM, zzutak said:

My pleasure.  (worship)  Here's a comparison of the Contest #1 and Contest #2 attrition (drop-out) data.  The procedures currently in place are clearly leading to a more committed field of players.  (thumbsu

I agree.  My goal is for these contests to increase in participants over time, and keep it a "just in-house" event.  I can handle 200 people per contest.  It would be nice to eventually see them max out each time.  

On 5/4/2022 at 12:30 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Seriously?  Take your disrespectful attitude somewhere else.

I'm sorry if you felt it was disrespectful, but I assure you that my suggestion to read the instructions in your PM was made with all due respect, as the instructions in this case happen to contain the answer to the problem you were experiencing.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:16 AM, CGC Mike said:

Sorry, I misspoke.  The spreadsheet doesn't calculate grades above 9.8.  Only grades from .5 through 9.8 will be accepted.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:04 AM, CGC Mike said:

so will there be poss 9.8s in contest?