• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it false or misleading advertising when a comic has a cool cover but unappealing interior art?
1 1

79 posts in this topic

Have you ever bought a comic because the cover was cool, but when you read it, the interior art was by a different artist, who's style you didn't like? Are there any examples you can share?

To me it's basically false or at least misleading advertising. You understandably think the art inside is going to be like what's on the outside. Yes, I know art is very subjective and what I don't like others will love.

An example for me are the Batman books of the late 80s to early 90s. You've got cool covers by the likes Kelley Jones & Mike Mignola. But the interior art was by Jim Aparo. His style at this stage in his career was flat, repetitive, minimalist and for me really unappealing.

After getting burnt by this cover bait and switch a few times as a kid I always checked the interior art before buying a comic. Don't judge a book by it's cover they say for good reason. However books particularly at LCS are often sold prebagged & sealed so it might not be possible to flip through the pages to confirm if you like the art.

Do you have any examples of buying books based on the cover and being disappointed by the interior art?

On 5/5/2022 at 11:32 AM, darkstar said:

uh

2091918584_KelleyBatmancover.png.2b31b9ac2c051c4792e743e0198ba353.png

Not a fan of Kelley's exaggerated style? Fair enough. But if you were & you expected the interior art would be similar you could be disappointed

Edited by MattrixAlien

as a little kid i learned early that a great cover meant nothing in relation to who did the art inside the book. if i couldn't look inside the book, anything was possible. marvel clearly had a strategy of trying to make amazing covers on books where the interior artist was a total hack. 

On 5/4/2022 at 8:42 PM, MattrixAlien said:

Do you have any examples of buying books based on the cover and being disappointed by the interior art?

Too many to tell but I'll provide a counter example. Early issues of Crack Comics in the GA have fairly awful covers but the interiors are some of the best for the time period. Sadly, the books are less collected as a result unlike Timely's that have flashy covers but poopy interiors.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:50 AM, Robot Man said:

Comic covers and their colors have always been created to stand out on a rack. To sell comics to kids. Never a promise as to contents,

Ecs are about the only books I can think of that never disappoint. 

It's common for the artist who does the cover to also do the interior art though. So people expect similar art inside. The cover sets the expectations of the reader as to the style and quality of the contents like the packaging of any product

Edited by MattrixAlien

A large proportion of GA was all about the great cover and generic or sometimes worse content. Batman around the early 60s had both bad covers and interiors, so there was no bait and switch there.

In the 60s and 70s both DC (Adams, Kubert, Wrightson) and Marvel (Kane) had their best artists work on their covers, and your mileage certainly varied as to the interiors. I can recall buying Captain America in the early 70s when the interior art switched from Sal Buscema to Robbins during the Nomad story arc. Urgh.