• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moon Knight series 1

13 posts in this topic

Good morning everyone,

I collected comics in the 80's and early 90's with my son and then got very busy with life. Now I am long retired and have decided to look into what I have.  Everything was bagged and most boarded and stored in a comic box. 

As I go through them I find that I have all 38 0f the Moon Knight series including 2 # 1's  They are in great shape.  My question is should I try to sell one at a time of would they be worth more as a set? 

I am sure I will have more questions as I go through the rest.

Thanks for any help u can offer.

Les Ames

Hi, Les,

The question of whether the comics will be worth more as a set is easy to answer. The answer is no.  There is a common misperception among people who don’t collect, that a full set is worth more than the sum of his parts. However, I have never seen that actually happen in my nearly five decades of collecting.  When a full set is offered for sale, it is typically offered at some sort of a discount off the prices that the books would sell for individually.

I believe what you really want to know is how to maximize the money you make from selling these books.  The answer to that hinges on how much effort you want to put into selling them.  You could individually grade and price every book, and then try to sell them individually to collectors. Key issues (such as the number ones) would sell first, and you would spend a long time and a lot of effort trying to find willing buyers for the others. That would make you the most money, and it would take the most time and effort.   On the other extreme, you could put almost no effort in by offering them to several dealers and accepting the highest offer they make. You would get a fraction of their “value”, but it would require very little effort on your part.  There are lots of approaches, requiring varying levels of effort, that are somewhere between those two extremes, 

If I owned such a run, I would probably have the number one issues cleaned, pressed, and graded, then list them here of on another free online platform. The remainder, I would bundle up into groups of perhaps 5 to 10, and put them on eBay in a no reserve auction.  

Edited by SOTIcollector

While you will get less for the set, it will also help you to move issues that otherwise would be hard to sell. Selling individually is more work and you will almost always end up with issues you can't sell at all. Selling as a lot will get you less money but is much simpler. 

Well I joined this group in May and now it is June. 

First of all thank you for your suggestions and comments.  Since I have started I have listed all my books on a excel sheet with all info.  I have looked them up on Go Collect and established a FMV, of course I am proably a high grader, lol

Now comes the problem, Why is there no one out there who has a reasonable turnaround time?  What is the best route to go here?  Why would I pay 40 or 50 bucks for a hopefully a 100 buck comic?  I took my collection to a comic carnival shop after I made an appoint ment and sent him a list.  He was a very nice man but gave me a very low ball offer, so I thanked him and came home.  

So I am ready to get my key comics graded and go from there, but I get to wait a year????

Any ideas I don't know about? I checked out the place in the south but it must be out of business.

Thanks for your help

Les

Moon Knight be chillin' , speculators and flippers be illin'

Huge downwards trend in Moon Knight Books starting after first episode of series aired. Unprecedented for a Disney+ series. Normally there has been a jump during the series airing - the whole White Vision nonsense for example.  Perhaps Moon Knight in being in costume for what was seemingly only 25 minutes combined in the entire series was a factor?  I think the hippo got more airtime?

The time make decent coin on the series seems to have passed. Unless you are sure you have 9.8w's of issue #1 or you merely want your books slabbed for your private collection then the juice will not be worth the squeeze. Now if it was a year or 2 ago then things would have been way different.

At this juncture except for nostalgia simply not sound fiscally to submit any issue from the Moon Knight v1 unless you are positive you will receive a 9.8w - keep in mind those positive of that are wrong probably 50% of the time :) 

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/22/2022 at 12:28 PM, mrtoasty said:

First of all thank you for your suggestions and comments.  Since I have started I have listed all my books on a excel sheet with all info.  I have looked them up on Go Collect and established a FMV, of course I am proably a high grader, lol

Now comes the problem, Why is there no one out there who has a reasonable turnaround time?  What is the best route to go here?  Why would I pay 40 or 50 bucks for a hopefully a 100 buck comic?  I took my collection to a comic carnival shop after I made an appoint ment and sent him a list.  He was a very nice man but gave me a very low ball offer, so I thanked him and came home.  

So I am ready to get my key comics graded and go from there, but I get to wait a year????

Any ideas I don't know about? I checked out the place in the south but it must be out of business.

Thanks for your help

Les

Sent a PM!

Edited by KirbyTown

I buy sets all the time as long as they are all high grade books.

The thing with selling sets is you need to be very patient and wait for that one buyer.

When I sell my collection it will be sold in sets. I dont wanna be left with a mess of filler issues that no one needs or wants.

They'll sit a while and accumulate watchers until someone pulls the trigger.

Edited by lostboys

On 6/22/2022 at 1:28 PM, mrtoasty said:

Thanks for your help

Les

1. Why is there no one out there who has a reasonable turnaround time?

Because every collector ever including those who never sent stuff to CGC started to in the last 1.5 years. CGC never expected it, the other guys never expected it and thus they were overwhelmed and still are. You cannot just hire graders overnight and expect them to be good. Training takes time. They only have/had 20 graders. So unless people wanted inaccurate grades, they have had to be patient while CGC and even the other companies, adjust. Could they have done a better job and been more prepared? Sure but that is another argument.

2. Why would I pay 40 or 50 bucks for a hopefully a 100 buck comic? 

Not every book should be graded. In fact, this is probably why (in part) CGC is so behind. Everyone thought there comics were getting a bump so books that traditionally would have never been sent (6.0-8.0 range stuff from the late 80s) was getting sent en masse. I pray that if you are sending in a book purely for resell, you make sure it is worth your time and CGCs. If you are sending because you love the book and just want it slabbed, that is different.

3. So I am ready to get my key comics graded and go from there, but I get to wait a year????

Pay the couple bucks more for quicker times. If a book is not worth spending $10-15 more on to get it back quicker, it is probably not worth sending in in the first place. Granted, if you are sending hundreds of books I can see why you want to try to save some coin. If that's the case, you just gotta get in line like the rest of us and wait.

I will conclude by saying you may actually want to wait. Why? Comics are dropping. That Moon Knight run you mentioned back in May is nowhere near the value. I saw sales of higher grade full runs hitting $700-800 or so back in April. Latest sale on a high grade full run was $475. 

Edited by comicginger1789

On 6/22/2022 at 1:28 PM, mrtoasty said:

Thanks for your help

Les

Also, I would NOT use Go Collect for FMV. The way they collect data and include it in their calculations is wrong.

For example, a book on ebay is listed at $500 or best offer. Someone submits an offer of $425 and the seller accepts.

Go Collect counts that as a $500 sale for a book and includes that in their FMV, thus inaccurate FMVs for books.

There are other sites that, with flaws of their own, at the very least they don't make errors like this when calculating their FMV. Cvr price is not terrible and neither is GPA analysis for graded stuff. If you are using Go Collect, I usually take their FMV with a grain of salt. So seeing $500 tells me it is probably closer to $400. At the end of the day, you will know if you list your book for $500 and it sits for 2+ months. If you don't sell a key comics within a couple weeks, you either are advertising poorly or pricing it poorly because there are always buyers for keys.

I mean at this point, assuming one thinks there will be Moon Knight season 2, it might make sense to just save the Moon Knight books to sell when the first trailer drops for Season 2.