• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Werewolf by Night #32 - THE GRADE IS IN
3 3

21 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2022 at 4:38 PM, EastEnd1 said:

Nice copy... looks slightly off-color... I'd say 8.0-8.5.

Agreed.

Definitely 8.0/8.5 with a press.

9.0 is not an impossibility with the ol' WWBN 32 bump. hm

Thanks for sharing.

On 5/13/2022 at 10:48 AM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

Does page quality really matter ? Isn't that included and help determine the final grade ? Then it would matter a lot.  Is page quality a separate entity and just gets posted in grader notes for informational purposes ? If a comic has white pages does it get a bump in grade ? If it's off white does that give it a slight bump down ?  If you don't mind me asking you.

Does page quality matter? Yes to certain collectors. Personally, I don't like brown page edges or brittle pages. And generally, a better page quality on a book means it would sell for more than a copy in the same grade with a worse page quality (ex a book with white pages would sell more than one with cream to off white pages)

Does page quality help determine final grade? Good question. I would imagine to a degree it plays a roll. Maybe not though and maybe it is viewed separately. But I would think a book with heavy browning to edges of the covers and pages (despite being structurally pristine) would see that flaw reflected in its overall grade.

Page quality is posted on every slab, visible for all to see. 

If a comic has white pages does it get a bump in grade? Another good question. I think grading goes back to the structure of the book. You can have a 2.5 book with white pages but the page quality does not bump it up to a 3.0. If anything, as said before, it is more likely to mean it sells for a little more than a similar 2.5 copy with worse page quality.

On 5/13/2022 at 12:08 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Does page quality matter? Yes to certain collectors. Personally, I don't like brown page edges or brittle pages. And generally, a better page quality on a book means it would sell for more than a copy in the same grade with a worse page quality (ex a book with white pages would sell more than one with cream to off white pages)

Does page quality help determine final grade? Good question. I would imagine to a degree it plays a roll. Maybe not though and maybe it is viewed separately. But I would think a book with heavy browning to edges of the covers and pages (despite being structurally pristine) would see that flaw reflected in its overall grade.

If a comic has white pages does it get a bump in grade? Another good question. I think grading goes back to the structure of the book. You can have a 2.5 book with white pages but the page quality does not bump it up to a 3.0. If anything, as said before, it is more likely to mean it sells for a little more than a similar 2.5 copy with worse page quality.

Page quality only affects the grade once you get past CRM/OW since I see many 9.8's with that page designation. You start to get into trouble with PQ when you hit cream, light tan, tan and brittle.

As far as the cover goes tanning has a major impact on the grade of the book. I get a lot of books in that structurally are in the 9.4 and better range, but tanning drops the book down considerably.

On 5/13/2022 at 11:08 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Thanks for your posts. I’m reading the new CGC grading book, and it addresses this very question. It sounds like having white pages won’t bump an otherwise lower grade, but having browned pages will hurt the grade. Specifically it says:

- A comic must have at least off-white to get a 9.8, and if it’s off-white it won’t get a 9.9

- A comic with Light Tan to Off-White will cap out at 8.5

- A comic with Tan to Off-White will cap out at 7.5

- A comic with Slightly Brittle will cap out at 6.5

- A comic with Brittle will cap out at 3.5

On 2/4/2024 at 8:13 PM, Matt1982 said:

Thanks to everyone - very happy with this one.

IMG_2404.jpeg

Did you have them press it before it was graded?  Appears so but just wanted to ask.