• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Issues with a recent returns

17 posts in this topic

Hey there everybody, I am new to collecting graded books, and just recently submitted an entire run of a series to be graded. It was weird to me that one of my six issues had to be submitted at a different tier than the others, but that’s another issue.

With my books recently returned, I found that several of the slabs had some visible issues I was not expecting to see. I took photos of everything for reference. Two of the issues have visible finger prints inside the case and even a pretty large smudge. Two of the books also have what seems like a wet spot between the book and the case. I took My books to a local comic retailer and they told me that they had never seen smudges inside the case like this and that sometimes the moisture looking spot can happen in the pressing process.

I have written Cgc and am waiting for a response, thought I’d ask the community as well.

2FAEA412-46B9-4C71-ACB5-4661B031898E.jpeg

A19D6B3B-F8C2-4C07-9074-BBE2EC24ED2B.jpeg

C42478AB-AAC0-47DD-BF58-DEF3CA05EC88.jpeg

A2057275-96E1-4E62-9F26-4BBADBB2D4EA.jpeg

86398195-E8D4-4542-BFFF-929E82C87CC2.jpeg

4780404D-6A35-459D-9F1B-F3DB627DD5B8.jpeg

F7112605-5934-4615-958C-95FE35794D74.jpeg

7443C068-876D-49EB-8146-2BB880F60771.jpeg

D2DDAFCC-3095-4515-B373-DE724521A019.jpeg

83B5F3BE-2197-4E43-88B7-4197F34BE775.jpeg

If by 'wet spot',  you mean the next to last pic - that is an example of Newton Rings. A light effect caused by two layers of plastic touching.

It is a problem that has been around forever.  Although if it's "small", CGC doesn't consider it a problem.

There's threads here dedicated to Newton Rings

On 5/7/2022 at 10:15 PM, csaag said:

If by 'wet spot',  you mean the next to last pic - that is an example of Newton Rings. A light effect caused by two layers of plastic touching.

It is a problem that has been around forever.  Although if it's "small", CGC doesn't consider it a problem.

There's threads here dedicated to Newton Rings

I’ve read about the “Newton Rings” before, my local retailer led me to that discussion. I however, being super nit picky consider it a large issue since it is on the front of some very simple covers. Especially the white cover book I submitted. I’m glad that it’s not just me. Was just bummed to get these books back and 3/5 having less than desirable casing issues.

Thank you for your response and time! I appreciate It.

On 5/8/2022 at 12:10 PM, The Bearded Eagle said:

I’ve read about the “Newton Rings” before, my local retailer led me to that discussion. I however, being super nit picky consider it a large issue since it is on the front of some very simple covers. Especially the white cover book I submitted. I’m glad that it’s not just me. Was just bummed to get these books back and 3/5 having less than desirable casing issues.

Thank you for your response and time! I appreciate It.

sometimes newton rings will resolve over time. I store those flat and not standing, over time I had one I was very displeased with (and had taken pics of the rings) basically disappear. The two pieces of plastic are pushed up against each other and this effect happens, storing flat allows the pieces of plastic to separate hopefully.

They won't take those back more likely than not, too small area of newton rings. (Not saying it is acceptable, just saying they likely won't see it that way.) You could pay for reholder but no guarantee it won't happen again.

fingerprints are inexcusable, powder donut eating employees! those they'll take back I bet

On 5/8/2022 at 1:06 PM, Bird said:

sometimes newton rings will resolve over time. I store those flat and not standing, over time I had one I was very displeased with (and had taken pics of the rings) basically disappear. The two pieces of plastic are pushed up against each other and this effect happens, storing flat allows the pieces of plastic to separate hopefully.

They won't take those back more likely than not, too small area of newton rings. (Not saying it is acceptable, just saying they likely won't see it that way.) You could pay for reholder but no guarantee it won't happen again.

fingerprints are inexcusable, powder donut eating employees! those they'll take back I bet

Thanks! I’m glad to hear that your issue with the rings resolved itself! I will give storing them flat a shot and see what happens. They aren’t huge so hopefully they will separate and be just fine. 

On 5/8/2022 at 1:59 PM, The Bearded Eagle said:

Thanks! I’m glad to hear that your issue with the rings resolved itself! I will give storing them flat a shot and see what happens. They aren’t huge so hopefully they will separate and be just fine. 

with older slabs people would stick a piece of stiff paper in to separate them but I never have and would not try it myself

On 5/8/2022 at 1:50 PM, Thunk said:

Your LCS doesn't know what he's talking about  lol As mentioned, it's two plastics touching each other.

It was me who mentioned the wet appearance, my LCS had mentioned the Newton ring and I assumed It was just the plastics. I will say it wasn’t my favorite LCS so I wanted to follow up online.

On 5/8/2022 at 2:00 PM, Bird said:

with older slabs people would stick a piece of stiff paper in to separate them but I never have and would not try it myself

Did you store your books with the Newton rings facing down or facing up? Does it matter?

On 5/9/2022 at 7:21 AM, The Bearded Eagle said:

Sorry for the confusion, it was my assumption that the rings get caused during the pressing. I assumed That would be the most likely time for the plastics to touch.

There are no plastics involved in pressing.

seems to be a bit of confusion over the word 'pressing' in this thread.

Some people in this thread seem to be using it with respect to a specific comic-related definition, wherein a person (hopefully someone with training and experience) uses specific amounts of heat and pressure applied to a comic for specific durations to specifically smooth out certain types of imperfections in a comic with hopes of improving the grade and/or appearance of the comic.  This is a specific term that may not be known to the average layperson or even a large portion of comic collectors.

And some folks in this thread appear to be using it in its more common or non-comic definition, simply the act of pushing the comic flat in a plastic sleeve as part of the CGC slab/encapsulation process.

But also very generally, as with nearly every other situation when you pay for a service and are not satisfied with the results, contact your service provider and see what options are available to you, if any.

Regarding fingerprints... if the grades are all high then I would think it obvious that the fingerprints happened post grade. Good idea to take photos of your comic books before you sent them in just in case.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:21 AM, The Bearded Eagle said:

Sorry for the confusion, it was my assumption that the rings get caused during the pressing. I assumed That would be the most likely time for the plastics to touch.

This would happen during the encapsulation process; it has nothing to do with pressing the book.  :gossip: