• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice. Damaged poster with sketch.
2 2

36 posts in this topic

In cases like this, the first step is ALWAYS to document and photograph (which you've already done, and your photos are outstanding).  The second step is ALWAYS to promptly message the seller to make him/her aware of the damage that occurred during transit.  Attach your photos to this message.

As Ryan notes, you can always force a return and complete refund (including shipping and return shipping).  However, first giving the seller an opportunity to voluntarily make things right is the approach most consistent with the Golden Rule.  Good luck.  :foryou:

That's a shame to see.

The mailing tube looks to be the cheapest and flimsiest ever. I got a concert poster in the mail years ago and I could knock a hole in drywall with the tube it was in.

Let the seller make it right or have ebay force a return.

Edited by grendelbo

On 5/7/2022 at 4:07 PM, Poekaymon said:

Easy return.

Agreed. Also, a productive, non-combative note to the seller about upgrading his tubes could be useful. I mean, people should know how to ship - but on the other hand, some people need to get some bad experiences to fine tune their shipping methods too.

On 5/7/2022 at 5:43 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Agreed. Also, a productive, non-combative note to the seller about upgrading his tubes could be useful. I mean, people should know how to ship - but on the other hand, some people need to get some bad experiences to fine tune their shipping methods too.

Agreed. I always ship flat and the more layers the better. 

seller used the wrong shipping material. USPS has a free to use small and medium triangle tube for posters in Priority mail. They work well. eBay will side with you. You could actually put a claim in with USPS too. The claim can be started by the buyer or seller. Its an easy online form. Addresses names and tracking number. Picture proof of damage. During the COVID mess I had 3 eBay related claims. Won every time.

yes, horrible job on seller

but if you do not want to return it, it will flatten with time, I have had some horribly bent pieces come out not too bad after a while in the itoya. it won't be perfect without some help but just in an itoya with some evenly distributed weight on it, maybe other itoyas, and it will improve a lot I think

I was polite and showed him all the pictures. Asked for a full refund if possible, including return shippin....or a partial refund (half?) and I keep. I think that's fair. I'm good with either, we will see. 

On 5/8/2022 at 9:26 AM, Blastaar said:

I was polite and showed him all the pictures. Asked for a full refund if possible, including return shippin....or a partial refund (half?) and I keep. I think that's fair. I'm good with either, we will see. 

I was with you until this.

You either want it or you don't.

If you want it - flatten it down and keep an irreplaceable piece of art, and leave a neg.

If you don't want it - send it back.

Biggest beef when selling is the odd person, saying "its damaged I don't want it" - unless you give me half my money back, in which case then I don't care.

I always insist on a 'sent if back for full refund' on the very rare occasion it happens - and 100% of the time, they never do.

@Bird is totally correct - with some gentle but constant pressure, that will straighten out over time.

Happy to buy it off you in fact :takeit:

On 5/7/2022 at 4:40 PM, Beige said:

I was with you until this.

You either want it or you don't.

If you want it - flatten it down and keep an irreplaceable piece of art, and leave a neg.

If you don't want it - send it back.

Biggest beef when selling is the odd person, saying "its damaged I don't want it" - unless you give me half my money back, in which case then I don't care.

I always insist on a 'sent if back for full refund' on the very rare occasion it happens - and 100% of the time, they never do.

@Bird is totally correct - with some gentle but constant pressure, that will straighten out over time.

Happy to buy it off you in fact :takeit:

Totally disagree. I've been buying and selling on eBay for 20 years. It's common place. Since this is due to the seller's poor packing. What's important here is making the buyer happy again after a huge let down out of his or her control.2c

I've done business with Blastaar too and he's one of the best here on the boards:peace:

On 5/8/2022 at 9:49 AM, mytastebud said:

Totally disagree. I've been buying and selling on eBay for 20 years. It's common place. Since this is due to the seller's poor packing. What's important here is making the buyer happy again after a huge let down out of his or her control.2c

I've done business with Blastaar too and he's one of the best here on the boards:peace:

I'm sure he's a great guy.

And it's totally on the seller.

No argument.

All I'm saying is that I don't agree with the 'partial refund' solution that some others do.

You either are upset enough that you don't want it or you can live with it and leave a neg.

I don't agree with "I can live with it at half price"

All nice and jolly sticking up for your buddy and all that - but that wasn't the point I was making.

Enjoy your weekend.

On 5/7/2022 at 6:49 PM, mytastebud said:

Aww shucks, thanks. The partial refund I don't believe is a poor choice. For me...and perhaps others..it makes things easier to swallow. Say you get a cgc from someone and it arrives with a crack on the back. Now I would still love the comic and if I keep it then there is now real issue, but if I ever decide to sell it I will never get close to the value I paid. 

On 5/7/2022 at 4:53 PM, Beige said:

No argument.

All I'm saying is that I don't agree with the 'partial refund' solution that some others do.

You either are upset enough that you don't want it or you can live with it and leave a neg.

All nice and jolly sticking up for your buddy and all that - but that wasn't the point I was making.

Enjoy your weekend.

Thats awesome advice

Keep something that's damaged and leave the seller negative feedback.

Really? who does that?(shrug)

How is that better for the buyer or seller?

Blastaar,

I  believe as long as you keep an open mind - offer them to counteroffer - everyone will find a happy space. I notice you've repeated how much you like this. If the seller asks you to send it back and how quickly will the lingering thought of "I could have flattened it out" hit you?

Now to share, here's what I received in the mail. Note the plastic bag with absolutely no padding or protection. Basically the same material as a plastic grocery bag. And then the cardboard doesn't even wrap all of the way around. Through some fortune, no damage to the back of the comic.

No Protection.jpg

On 5/7/2022 at 6:53 PM, Beige said:

No argument.

Enjoy your weekend.

Offering to accept a partial refund is saying, "I would only have paid [this lower value] for this item if it started off the way it is now, but I would have wanted it." Sometimes that's actually accurate and all.

As for leaving negatives, well, the ebay negative system isn't what it once was. I'm not sure I've had a single negative in the last five years that remained on the account for longer than a month (to be fair, I've probably only left three or four).