• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCG Seeks Top Experts in VHS Tapes to Press Play on New Grading Service - BETAMAX next?
3 3

149 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2022 at 3:34 AM, bentbryan said:

CGC must have really improved their turnaround times on books so now they can focus on expanding their grading business hm.

Much easier to grade the corners of VHS box and factory seal than to count the fragile pages of each pulp CGC is trying to slab. More VHS/Beta generation of collectors still alive than pulp collectors. Sorry, GA and pulp collectors.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:11 AM, Buzzetta said:

Exactly the problem.  As I have pointed out over the years, I would stay away from carded GI Joes.  The MOC Joe collectors are playing hot potato with those figures as well.  What we have seen is that once the figure breaks and collapses upon itself while sealed on the card the figure loses a significant amount of value.  If you paid $500 for a MOC Joe that is standing up on its own, why would you pay the same amount for a sealed pile of body parts?    People aren't.

These VHS cassettes are in a state of rapidly deteriorating condition.   Paying $33,000 for a sealed copy of Terminator that most likely does not work is a fool's errand akin to the beanie baby craze. 

The value would only be impacted if the deterioration manifested itself visually in the sealed case or was otherwise detectable. With sealed videogames for example, you can do a shake/rotation test to determine whether the disc is still seated on the spindle, discs loose in their case sell for significantly less money. GI Joe collectors wouldn't care about deteriorating o-rings if the figures didn't come packaged on cards with transparent plastic bubbles displaying them.  

On 5/11/2022 at 9:36 AM, aardvark88 said:

Much easier to grade the corners of VHS box and factory seal than to count the fragile pages of each pulp CGC is trying to slab. More VHS/Beta generation of collectors still alive than pulp collectors. Sorry, GA and pulp collectors.

Also these will be completely new personnel and department I assume

I've been away for a while due to family matters but I must post a comment on this thread. First of all I won't believe it until @Get Marwood & I starts a UK variant thread:headbang: I had hundreds of horror and sci-fi tapes gifted to me by a friend most of them still sealed, I encapsulated them in my local landfill! Funny enough the only sealed VHS I have is a copy of the Exorcist with the banned BBC documentary, it's a film I have no desire to ever watch.

.:flipbait:   

On 5/11/2022 at 7:45 PM, tv horror said:

I've been away for a while due to family matters but I must post a comment on this thread. First of all I won't believe it until @Get Marwood & I starts a UK variant thread:headbang: I had hundreds of horror and sci-fi tapes gifted to me by a friend most of them still sealed, I encapsulated them in my local landfill! Funny enough the only sealed VHS I have is a copy of the Exorcist with the banned BBC documentary, it's a film I have no desire to ever watch.

Long time no hear/here. My prayers for your circumstances and glad, at least, to see you kicking!

On 5/12/2022 at 1:45 AM, tv horror said:

Keep plugging away Maurice :headbang:

On 5/11/2022 at 7:00 PM, Buzzetta said:

Not true.

There are plenty of boxed items that did not have transparent bubbles where a figure is sealed on the inside of the package or no figure came with it at all.  Many steer away from boxed items because the contents are brittle and could be breaking.   When you know something is broken on the inside or contains something on the verge of breaking people steer clear.   I know quite a few collectors that will not touch anything sealed when it comes to vintage GI Joe regardless of whether or not you can 'see' it because we assume it is broken. 

Buying a sealed VHS tape is like buying a bottle of sealed expired milk.  You don't have to taste it to know it is bad. 

Fools and their money though.  Cash out cash out cash out... get that payday and run. 

Not sure how this accounts for the 40+ year old opened VHS tapes that play perfectly fine to this day.

I'm not a major video collector by any means, but I have plenty of them that fit that bill.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:00 PM, Buzzetta said:

Not true.

There are plenty of boxed items that did not have transparent bubbles where a figure is sealed on the inside of the package or no figure came with it at all.  Many steer away from boxed items because the contents are brittle and could be breaking.   When you know something is broken on the inside or contains something on the verge of breaking people steer clear.   I know quite a few collectors that will not touch anything sealed when it comes to vintage GI Joe regardless of whether or not you can 'see' it because we assume it is broken. 

Buying a sealed VHS tape is like buying a bottle of sealed expired milk.  You don't have to taste it to know it is bad. 

Fools and their money though.  Cash out cash out cash out... get that payday and run. 

This is anecdotal and does not account for the majority of the market. Unless there is a way to confirm the damage is there, plenty of collectors are going to treat it as if it does not exist, especially once it is encased in plastic and graded. No different than the sealed video game market ignoring dead batteries in cartridge games or rot on disc games. The working condition of the piece is irrelevant to most collectors - it is never going to be used for its original purpose. The eye appeal and what the piece represents is all that matters. I don't care about VHS collecting at all, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because of degradation over time. 

On 5/12/2022 at 6:55 AM, darkstar said:

This is anecdotal and does not account for the majority of the market. Unless there is a way to confirm the damage is there, plenty of collectors are going to treat it as if it does not exist, especially once it is encased in plastic and graded. No different than the sealed video game market ignoring dead batteries in cartridge games or rot on disc games. The working condition of the piece is irrelevant to most collectors - it is never going to be used for its original purpose. The eye appeal and what the piece represents is all that matters. I don't care about VHS collecting at all, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because of degradation over time. 

Agree to disagree then.  I had been observing and studying the trends over the years specifically when it came to carded and boxed GI Joes as I had a significant amount of money to cash out on.  I am not going to lie, I had no problem withholding these views on the market until after I had cashed out.  So, I can only imagine what your current investment is in either of these two categories are.

Got a sealed VHS... more power to you.  When the time is right cash out.  Make that money.  Make as much as you can.  But to pretend that it is something it is not makes me smirk. 

I've said pretty much all I can offer on this at this point save perhaps one little bit of information that I am considering posting.   So you can have your final word. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 5/10/2022 at 5:52 PM, rabidwolf said:

As much as I am not into collecting horror comics [pure marvel guy] I am the complete opposite with VHS.

here's my favorite/grail I had picked up a while back:

1980 Friday the 13th:

F13.jpg

F13b.jpg

I love the paramount home video shrinkwrap

On 5/11/2022 at 12:36 PM, aardvark88 said:

Ga and pulp aint gonna go away just like that!its an unfair assomption!id like to have those pulp magazines and comics anytime!

On 5/11/2022 at 10:00 PM, Buzzetta said:

Not true.

Indeed, I sold all of my pricier carded Joes a few years ago, just couldn't live with those time bombs. I still buy carded figures if I can find them for, say, under $50, so it's really only the 90's stuff. I think those are still fun to buy on the card, and display nicely. When (not if) the day comes when they blow their o-ring, I can live with being down $20-$50. So, cheap carded figures, and primarily, loose complete figures and vehicles with open boxes. Stuff I can hold and enjoy, and if they break, perhaps I can fix them, and if not, well, it was fun while it lasted. The folks paying THOUSANDS for graded Storm Shadows and Snake Eyes? Yeesh. Bless 'em. I wish them well, but there's no way I could put that kind of money into them.

Cheap plastic and cardboard were never meant to last this long. I'm enjoying it for as long as I can, but I'd never put more into any of these toys than I could afford to lose it it all turned to dust one day, which it will.

On 5/12/2022 at 3:49 PM, snitzer said:

Betamax next? Ha! Let me know when laserdiscs receive the grading treatment b/c I’m sitting on a small fortune :Rocket:

:takeit:

The main takeaway is that these videos, particularly the earlier ones, were very well made with high quality materials. (Generally speaking, the VHS tapes from their advent through the late 80's are significantly heavier than those that followed). They are not fragile by any means and not particularly easy to "demagnetize". Stored properly over the years, there is no reason to believe that the content on such videos has been rendered by time as inaccessible for current viewing or will become that way for many, many years to come. 

On 5/12/2022 at 9:06 PM, jdandns said:

The main takeaway is that these videos, particularly the earlier ones, were very well made with high quality materials. (Generally speaking, the VHS tapes from their advent through the late 80's are significantly heavier than those that followed). They are not fragile by any means and not particularly easy to "demagnetize". Stored properly over the years, there is no reason to believe that the content on such videos has been rendered by time as inaccessible for current viewing or will become that way for many, many years to come. 

Food for toughts...

On 5/12/2022 at 8:45 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I love the paramount home video shrinkwrap

I wish all of the video game companies had used customized shrink wrap like this.  So many dirtbags in the sealed game market reseal opened games and try to pass them off as new/sealed.

At least PS1 games have the embedded tear strip with the hologram tab and information strip on top.  It pretty much eliminates the possibility of trying to reseal them and fooling someone with it.

Edited by Domo Arigato