• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCG Seeks Top Experts in VHS Tapes to Press Play on New Grading Service - BETAMAX next?
3 3

149 posts in this topic

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com
CCG Seeks Top Experts in VHS Tapes to Press Play on New Grading Service

The Certified Collectibles Group wants to hear from and potentially hire top VHS experts for a new division dedicated to the professional authentication, grading and encapsulation of VHS tapes. This division will be part of CGC, the world’s leading third-party grading service for pop culture collectibles, including comic books, trading cards, magazines, concert posters and more.

The formation of a new division for VHS tapes follows CGC’s highly successful launch of CGC Trading Cards in 2020 and the upcoming launch of CGC Video Games in 2022. CGC is continuing to expand its services to meet demand for professional authentication and grading across collectibles categories. Recently, CGC surpassed the milestone of 10 million collectibles certified, which includes the world’s most expensive comic book — a copy of Superman #1 graded CGC 8.0 that sold for $5.3 million.

Being part of the launch of the new CGC division for VHS tapes is an incredible opportunity for the world’s top experts to help build a new grading service in a hot collectibles categories, backed by a company and leadership team that have a proven track record in collectibles certification.

lol

As if encapsulating a book doesn't strip away its sole reason for existence (to be read), encapsulating a VHS tape (to be watched) does even moreso!

At least a book still has a pretty cover to be admired, but what are you going to look at on an encapsulated VHS tape?

"Oh, I love how the tape collection wheels on your "Army of Darkness" cartridge are so perfectly round!"

Edited by Axe Elf

On 5/9/2022 at 11:50 AM, chrisco37 said:

It's just like video game grading.  They'll grade the box the movie came in.  I wonder if they'll have a "mature" grading section.  Some of you guys might have a trunk full of that stuff.  

He says, knowing exactly what that "stuff" is in his garage

There are a butt ton of vhs collectors out there, especially the "big box" or clam shell cases.Some of the vhs boxes have great artwork. But I'm not so sure about encapsulating them. I'm going to see if this gets any mention at the movie boards I hang out at.

It would take 450 business days to have an economy-tier comic go through CCS and CGC. There isn't money to expand that operation, but there is money to open another wing?

I might be out of my depth, but is there a demand for graded VHS? Does somebody at CGC need to open and play the movie to ensure it's not somebody's shrink-wrapped home movie and that it plays without issues? That's my main problem with graded video games and VHS. If I crack open a CGC comic, I'll still be able to read the comic, but no telling if a graded video game or VHS still works if cracked out.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:52 PM, The Meta said:

He says, knowing exactly what that "stuff" is in his garage

I don't have anymore VHS tapes (mature or otherwise).  I think the last few I had were Shogun Assassin, The Mystery of Chessboxing and a Best of Chasey Lane.  :whistle:  

This is today’s hot new thing. Sealed tapes are going for big money. I think CC is doing auctions and others will probably follow soon.

CGC smells “blood in the water” and wants to cash in. I’ll bet HA will be in soon.

Just more slow down to their original core business. But they already got us right where they want us.

Need a job Pablo? But you got to move to FL…:facepalm:   @Dreamtoreal1