• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is ToS #40 a key issue and did I make out okay on this buy?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I recently snagged this copy of ToS #40 for $45 and was wondering if I got a good deal? I’ve asked elsewhere but like getting a broad range of opinions and also wanted to take an opportunity to share here as regardless this is an issue that I’m very excited to add to my collection. I know the condition is poor but from what I see the issues lie within the front cover edges and the spine roll. However, I bought this issue based off the description that the interior is complete and I have the option to return it if that isn’t the case. I figure that I did get a good deal if the issue is considered a key and being that it is only Iron Man’s second ever appearance but was unsure of its status in the hierarchy of Tales of Suspense and Iron Man issues.

Thanks in advance!

3B5ACF24-E865-429D-8372-3A958F7D329F.jpeg

Edited by SkoBuffs99

On 5/10/2022 at 10:32 AM, Mr. Gueermo said:

I guess the OP didn't trust those guys on the other site :D

LINK

Not that I didn’t trust, I just like getting multiple opinions and perhaps reasoning as to why someone may think one thing or the other. Just as well, I wanted to share a new addition with multiple folks. My initial post now reflects this and I hope you enjoy the thread!

yah if complete and unrestored, solid buy.

In the future, you can probably evaluate your own purchase by looking up sold comics on ebay or any number of compliation or dealer websites that will share what other comics sold for, or even some price guides like Overstreet.  Any ebay listing will likely try to share any 'key' elements of a book, as those are typically selling points.

On 5/10/2022 at 6:29 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I say anytime you can get an early 60's Marvel book in complete and readable shape for under $50, you are probably doing alright.....

I agree. Given current circumstances you’re doing well with any book of that vintage at that price.

Good way to introduce the gold armour colour, suggested by his girlfriend while they’re at the circus to make him look less scary and intimidating.

One of the few memorable scenes from a lacklustre early run during which Lee was figuring out what to do with the character, story wise.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/13/2022 at 4:47 PM, Chaykin Stevens said:

Worth $45 for this panel alone:

1kpct4545wm71.jpg

So?  Lots of women have broken dates with me for one with an electrical cord too...