• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storing Comics

17 posts in this topic

I would leave some breathing room, but not too much; you don't want the books to

slop around in there. It's also probably a good idea to put an extra backing board

between the box and each of the end comics.

I have not alternated the spine side in storage, but have done it when stacked temporarily. I don't know; it might be a good idea, but I think as long as you don't

fill the boxes until they are tight it shouldn't matter...

Marvelcollector made a very good point. DEFINITELY put boards or cardboard between the first and last books. There is a divot on the bottom of these areas that can trap a comic or two and severely bend the bottom. I made this mistake a long time ago. I was flipping through some of my older X-men books and found they were lodged and bent. Had to replace them (DOH, like there aren't a million others to buy).

I also agree that books should be pretty decently packed in a box but with a slight bit of room. You don't want to bend them when pulling them out of the box (being too tight). On the other hand, if there is a huge gap, they easily fall and may bend when hitting the other stack of books.

I know this is anal, but I recommend swapping all bags & boards out whenever you get issues from an outside sources. A cleansliness thing and ensures you don't have books in a possibly acidic situation. After awhile, you can really see the difference between the newly bagged/boarded issues versus the old ones.

As a few have eluded, always elevate your books. A huge collector here lost a TON of Silver Age (& others) due to his basement being flooded by the water heater. If they were off the floor, it might have saved quite a bit. I usually get those very sturdy Gorilla Racks (look good and can hold adequate weight). Lastly, never double stack boxes on top of each other. Some local had three or four stacked and it collapsed the bottom boxes (tumbling those above). All I could say was "insufficiently_thoughtful_person" (insert Dymanite "accent").

Pat

I know this is anal, but I recommend swapping all bags & boards out whenever you get issues from an outside sources. A cleansliness thing and ensures you don't have books in a possibly acidic situation. After awhile, you can really see the difference between the newly bagged/boarded issues versus the old ones.

893applaud-thumb.gif I do this as well.

Yep, Can't make myself use the old bags and boards. I reuse them for packing though. Works fine.

I thought it was just me! blush.gifgrin.gif

Thanks for all the info, I too change the bags and boards of all comics I get through outside sources.

It's funny, I used to collect as a kid and then stopped in 1987. The comics I had I left them bagged and boarded in an old box until about 6 months ago. I have to say they made it through without any real problems. Now that I am getting back into collecting, I am ultra paranoid / careful (pick one). I guess back then there wasn't such a huge gap between 9.4 and 9.8!!! foreheadslap.gif

Thanks for all the info, I too change the bags and boards of all comics I get through outside sources.

It's funny, I used to collect as a kid and then stopped in 1987. The comics I had I left them bagged and boarded in an old box until about 6 months ago. I have to say they made it through without any real problems. Now that I am getting back into collecting, I am ultra paranoid / careful (pick one). I guess back then there wasn't such a huge gap between 9.4 and 9.8!!! foreheadslap.gif

There is'nt that much of a gap today, in terms of looks, but obviously in value there is.

Loads of old collectors (like me) will tell you there is no such thing as a Near Mint plus, or a Mint book.

For me, a 9.4 will always be satisfactory...it was always the pinnacle in the days of RAW only, and it still is as far as I am concerned. 893naughty-thumb.gif