• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Negotiating seller premiums, and possibly buyer premiums, with the main auction sites - any successes in getting these down to more reasonable levels?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

As the title says I'm interested to know if sellers are having, or even trying, to negotiate reductions in the premiums some of the popular auction sites are charging these days?  This can also extend to whether any seller's have been able to negotiate receiving either a portion, or all, of any 'buyer's premium'.

I've sold through Heritage (2005) and negotiated the seller's premium down to 0% at the time (think they were taking 10% back then).  Buyer's premium I didn't see whether I could negotiate receiving any portion of that (think maybe it was also 10% at the time) for the collection I sold. 

I've used Pedigree, Metropolis/ComicConnect and ebay.  Don't recall if I've used CLink.

I have a high-value collectible that I'm not planning, or looking, to sell anytime soon.  Just more curious to see how negotiable the sites I note, and feel free to add any I didn't, are with their growing fees these days.

Thanks for any input shared here.

On 5/12/2022 at 8:28 PM, shadroch said:

I believe it is done on a case by case basis, and I wouldn't be surprised if they to keep those deals confidential.

I would agree.  I'm sure a lot of each instance is based on how high the demand is, value, etc.  Someone with an Action #1 or Amazing Fantasy #15 is likely going to be in a better position than someone with a Howard the Duck #9.  Likewise the only way the 'deal' gets known is via the seller sharing it vs. the site.  It's why I used my own experience as an example.  Unless I provided the details, Heritage certainly would not.

So if any sellers are willing to share their experiences, and it's up to you on however much detail you care to provide, here's the forum to do so.

On 5/13/2022 at 12:33 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Is buyer's premium one of the dumbest things ever? 

The price you pay for the privilege to buy something.

On 5/13/2022 at 2:09 PM, Axe Elf said:

The price you pay for the privilege to buy something.

Ohhh.  So I should be honored to pay for the auction house's double-dipping. 

I figured I was missing something. 😉

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 5/13/2022 at 1:12 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Ohhh.  So I should be honored to pay for the auction house's double-dipping. 

I figured I was missing something. 😉

Glad to help.  I'll even waive my Educator's Premium this time.

It is possible.  

One auction house has reached out to me asking if I still have a couple of items I previously purchased from them and have offered me a reduced rate if I were to sell it through them at auction.